Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Also, I think there is a bit of a racist thing with walmart. You can go to the suffolk walmart, and there is staff and the store is nice and everything. But if you go to the Military Circle walmart, there is hardly anyone at the checkout lines even though there are tons of customers.

I think I'm going to bring the issue up with Wal*Mart, and get them to staff the Military Highway location better.

You alone are going to get WalMart to better staff its Janaf location? Seriously?

The racism argument may work except for the fact that the Portsmouth WalMart seems to be adequately staffed and the staff there are very friendly. The Janaf WalMart is typical Norfolk: people who work there doing nothing, hiding from customers and being rude to everyone because they think they are in a big city. Basically it is the same treatment that city of Norfolk gives its residents. I avoid shopping the Military Hwy corridor bc all the stores there follow this pattern.

You alone are going to get WalMart to better staff its Janaf location? Seriously?

The racism argument may work except for the fact that the Portsmouth WalMart seems to be adequately staffed and the staff there are very friendly. The Janaf WalMart is typical Norfolk: people who work there doing nothing, hiding from customers and being rude to everyone because they think they are in a big city. Basically it is the same treatment that city of Norfolk gives its residents. I avoid shopping the Military Hwy corridor bc all the stores there follow this pattern.

I agree...the location on Military Hwy has employees with very poor customer service skills, and is understaffed at times. I haven't noticed anything wrong with Target across the street as far as customer service...and the remodeling is starting to look nice like its a brand new store. It's mostly the Wal-Mart, Military Circle Mall and a few stores in Janaf that have those problems. Unfortunately, the new Wal-Mart on Tidewater Dr is just as bad...if not even worst. Its a new store and they not even keeping it up inside....and it feels rather dirty and grimey at times. I haven't been in the Portsmouth Wal-Mart but I heard some negative stories about that one as well....and also about the one in Chesapeake on Battlefield Blvd.

Also, I think there is a bit of a racist thing with walmart. You can go to the suffolk walmart, and there is staff and the store is nice and everything. But if you go to the Military Circle walmart, there is hardly anyone at the checkout lines even though there are tons of customers.

Hey, Tel -- friend turned me on to a new web site -- has an exchange on there that I swear could have come from you:

"Homey, that bernaise sauce you made is wack. Do you know what I am saying? For Real."

"Well, I used a different type of butter. I switched the style up, so let the haters hate and I'll watch the deliciousness pile up."

• 4 weeks later...

According to somebody I know who works at Panera Bread, the fast food building in front of them will be an El Pollo Loco, but they didn't put a sign up yet. And Bojangles are coming to the area...they have 2 for Norfolk planned...one will be adjacent to the Taco Bell on Military Hwy..where there is alot of open space. The other Bojangles will go across where the new Wal-Mart is on Tidewater Dr. They will tear down the old video store...Pricebusters I think it is called...and will build a Bojangles in Southern Shopping Ctr. The video store moved to the back near where the old ABC store was.

Anyone live RIGHT near a fast food restaurant? We used to stream the audio from the sign at Church's near Norfolk Naval Base to the internet. My friend moved. I miss having that feed.

And Man, why yaw'll hatin' on me!? I just be trying to effect change up in this piece.

I'm white in real life, but I do own a public enemy shirt and listen to some rap music. But I also listen to rock, metal, glam, jazz, pop, electronic stuff. Just saw Buckethead at the Norva.

Is there something occuring with Pizza Hut Dine-in restaurants? They have closed three in Norfolk so far this year. They closed the one in Ghent earlier this year and opened a carry out/delivery near by. They just closed two, one on Virginia Beach Blvd. in front of Military Circle Mall, which is beside Mc Donald's and the closed Bennigan's. The other closed location is on Hampton Blvd going towards the Naval Base. The only Pizza Hut dine-in in Norfolk is on Military Hwy and Norview Ave. It probably is the economy but is something happening with Pizza Hut? I also curious as to what the former Pizza Hut dine-in locations will be converted into. Now there are 2 closed restaurants (Pizza Hut and Bennigan's) near Military Circle Mall, which doesn't look too good.

Edited by Weaver24

Is there something occuring with Pizza Hut Dine-in restaurants? They have closed three in Norfolk so far this year. They closed the one in Ghent earlier this year and opened a carry out/delivery near by. They just closed two, one on Virginia Beach Blvd. in front of Military Circle Mall, which is beside Mc Donald's and the closed Bennigan's. The other closed location is on Hampton Blvd going towards the Naval Base. The only Pizza Hut dine-in in Norfolk is on Military Hwy and Norview Ave. It probably is the economy but is something happening with Pizza Hut? I also curious as to what the former Pizza Hut dine-in locations will be converted into. Now there are 2 closed restaurants (Pizza Hut and Bennigan's) near Military Circle Mall, which doesn't look too good.

I think that economics are playing a role in Pizza Hut's transition to carry-out and delivery.

Most of PH's competition are carry-out and delivery.

Dominos, Chanellos, Little Caesars.............

I would think that by elminating the dinning rooms, PH will be saving a great load of money.

Last time I went to a Pizza Hut, I think it was the one in Western Branch, and ate inside, I noticed the interior was pretty dingy and worn down. I heard it was pretty much the same at the other older locations. I'm guess they went with the carryout, and fast food style with another store path versus expensive renovations.

Kind of off topic but the previous owner of the 21st Street Deli in Norfolk has opened a new Pizza shop in Port Norfolk named The Pizza Box. I've had a couple pies already and it is the closest to NYC pizza I've ever had, probably because the owner is from NYC.

Its on Detroit St. next the The Stove if anyone wants to check it out, I couldn't find a website but they do eat in and take out. I think they only are open for dinner time except for lunch on Saturdays.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/once-gem-w...hub-needs-rehab

Above is a link to an article concerning Wards Corner and the retail strips around it. It mentions how Wards Corner used to be an upscale shopping area and the "Time Square of the South" and how the area needs rehab. Its sad how Wards Corner has gone into decline. The article speaks lightly on demographics...and they are strong, with the exception of the Denby Park area. The Farm Fresh there is one of the company's most profitable units. One problem is there are too many landowners and its going to be almost impossible to get them to sell to one buyer or just agree to redevelop the area in a consistent and synchronized manner. The shopping area northeast of Granby and Little Creek, where the Eckred/Revco used to be, is obselete, dilapidated, and full of vacancies. I agree with the Wards Corner civic leage...they have took too long to improve the area.

Edited by Weaver24

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/once-gem-w...hub-needs-rehab

Above is a link to an article concerning Wards Corner and the retail strips around it. It mentions how Wards Corner used to be an upscale shopping area and the "Time Square of the South" and how the area needs rehab. Its sad how Wards Corner has gone into decline. The article speaks lightly on demographics...and they are strong, with the exception of the Denby Park area. The Farm Fresh there is one of the company's most profitable units. One problem is there are too many landowners and its going to be almost impossible to get them to sell to one buyer or just agree to redevelop the area in a consistent and synchronized manner. The shopping area northeast of Granby and Little Creek, where the Eckred/Revco used to be, is obselete, dilapidated, and full of vacancies. I agree with the Wards Corner civic leage...they have took too long to improve the area.

I saw that. My posts on Pilot are always blocked because their profanity filter triggers on punctuation (for instance, -- triggers you into moderation mode because people could blank out letters with those.. talk about insanely A.R.).

Anyways, I remember Wards Corner a long time ago. It's kind of a distance from some interstates. The roads are narrow so it feels cramped. These days it's all new strip malls with huge anchor stores. As long as the property owners are making money from the buildings then they will probably milk it for what they can. If that stops and they can afford to upgrade, perhaps it could be lipstick'ed up. If not, maybe it will fail and someone with more money can buy it and revitalize it.

I remember there was an arcade there back in the day.

I saw that. My posts on Pilot are always blocked because their profanity filter triggers on punctuation (for instance, -- triggers you into moderation mode because people could blank out letters with those.. talk about insanely A.R.).

Anyways, I remember Wards Corner a long time ago. It's kind of a distance from some interstates. The roads are narrow so it feels cramped. These days it's all new strip malls with huge anchor stores. As long as the property owners are making money from the buildings then they will probably milk it for what they can. If that stops and they can afford to upgrade, perhaps it could be lipstick'ed up. If not, maybe it will fail and someone with more money can buy it and revitalize it.

I remember there was an arcade there back in the day.

I can't really remember wards corner back when I was a child. Its hard to imagine it was more than what it is now. Can't see how the streetscape would allow for any expansion other than up. It would be a good opportunity to creat something unique and profound; knowing the city they will create "newer" strip malls.

As far as the crime issue. I believe all crime is come from two things: Lack of notification and lack of reaction. Until you address those issues, crime will exist anywhere crime is allowed.

• 1 month later...

I spotted some new retail on Granby St north of Brambleton. (819 Granby Street) It's a furniture and home decor shop named Exotic Home. They have a location in the Outerbanks as well. It looks like they did some renovations to the building on Granby and it looks pretty nice. There seem to be several other Antique/Furniture shops around there so hopefully they can stay in business.

It's too bad that the city hasn't helped in the development of a antiquities district.

Does anyone remember the antique mall on Granby St.?

There are pockets of these types of stores peppered throughout Ghent, but to

concentrate them together would make it more of a destination.

• 3 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/norfolk-ha...-more-retailers

I didn't see a retail thread...so I just put this here.

Hopefully this works. I would love to see Granby bussling again.

I would like to see them work on Monticello in addition to granby. Near the core of DT, I would like them to reclaim some Dillards wall space and add shops and so forth in that area. That would add more relevant foot traffic.

I would like to see them work on Monticello in addition to granby. Near the core of DT, I would like them to reclaim some Dillards wall space and add shops and so forth in that area. That would add more relevant foot traffic.

The city could ask for it, but Taubman would have to design it, approve it and pay for it...makes it less likely. I'd like to see Granby St retail turned around as well, I'm just a little skeptical, if Town Center retail is still struggling (doing better but not driving traffic by any means) Granby doesn't have the pull to make me go there except for Friday and Saturday nights as it is...

The city could ask for it, but Taubman would have to design it, approve it and pay for it...makes it less likely. I'd like to see Granby St retail turned around as well, I'm just a little skeptical, if Town Center retail is still struggling (doing better but not driving traffic by any means) Granby doesn't have the pull to make me go there except for Friday and Saturday nights as it is...

Man that sucks, its just hard times and I can not blame them for not moving on that concept. I think the fed building was bad placement if you ask me. Prime land for that operation...not very appealing to the make up of the area. That could have been a nice chunk of land for LR to pass by and make a nice destination for patrons and close to a LR stop. Granby is such a montage of ventures which is great, but they do not play off each other.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/reeds-jewe...ocation-tonight

Above is the article about Reed's Jewelers closing in MacArthur Center. Christian Bernard also closed in MacArthur...as well as the location in Lynnhaven Mall. Due to the economy...jewelers are the first expected to fail. I hope MacArthur find something good to go in those spots. How is MacArthur doing now with store closings because I know alot has occurred since the mall opened in 1999.