Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/reeds-jewe...ocation-tonight

Above is the article about Reed's Jewelers closing in MacArthur Center. Christian Bernard also closed in MacArthur...as well as the location in Lynnhaven Mall. Due to the economy...jewelers are the first expected to fail. I hope MacArthur find something good to go in those spots. How is MacArthur doing now with store closings because I know alot has occurred since the mall opened in 1999.

I am not surprised by this news. Hopefully, MacArthur will be able to get some quality replacements for these closings. However, I am not too positive about that. I have found the selections of stores at MacArthur to decline each and every year since 1999. Currently, the only story that brings me to MacArthur Mall is the Apple store.

I am not surprised by this news. Hopefully, MacArthur will be able to get some quality replacements for these closings. However, I am not too positive about that. I have found the selections of stores at MacArthur to decline each and every year since 1999. Currently, the only story that brings me to MacArthur Mall is the Apple store.

The store selection has declined but I do think the other area malls have declined at a higher rate. Hampton Coliseum was full of random bootleg clothing stores before it was torn down. Chesapeake Square is getting there with Greenbriar close behind. I haven't been in Pembroke Mall in so long that I couldn't tell you what it was like. I think MacArthur is still a better quality mall than Lynnhaven. MacArthur still has a few of the higher end places you won't find elsewhere in Hampton Roads such as Coach and Crabtree & Evelyn (places I don't shop).

I would like to see MacArthur get some renovations to take advantage of the street front it consumes. Dillard's should have retail/restaurant space along Monticello. The empty lot where the skating rink is should have retail and restaurant space along the walls of the mall and parking garage with a large plaza area and an office building on the corner of Freemason and Monticello with more retail/restaurant space in the bottom few levels.

I go to MacArthur fairly regularly for lunch. It'd be nice if the vendors in the food court were turned over. Taco Bell would be nice.

Also, the rent in MacArthur is VERY high. There was a restaurant that went out of business (CPK is now there) and the numbers for what the space cost were in the articles. Yowsers.

I went to Greenbriar (my old haunt from growing up) and MacArthur on Saturday after xmas looking for deals. I saw TONS of shoppers, but not many were carrying much.

I didn't find anything to buy, and I was looking!

Dillards at MacArthur had nearly the same merchandise, but a few items were cheaper.

Shirts that were of interest to me were marked down from $96 to $66 or so. And made in China. No thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find them online for ~$20 each (new with tag of course).

Could it be that brick and mortar is just done? I know for some people the only thing they have to fill their time is shop.

I go to MacArthur fairly regularly for lunch. It'd be nice if the vendors in the food court were turned over. Taco Bell would be nice.

I want a downtown Chick-fil-a and a Firehouse Subs.

Dillards at MacArthur had nearly the same merchandise, but a few items were cheaper.

Check out the Chesapeake Square Dillards. It's basically the outlet store for Hampton Roads, the clerk said when new stuff comes in at other stores they send everything there. If I wasn't so tall I'd have all kinds of name brand clothes for really cheap. They have thousands of shirts for around $10.

Reeds Jewelers had a very poor location in the mall, it was second floor in the back near Tidewater Sports and Collectibles and the former Maternity store, no surprise they packed up when their lease ended. Christian Bernard on the other hand is one of the highest traffic spots in the mall, and will be a prime location for someone to take over. I know Kay Jewelers has been looking to relocate in the mall for years now, they may take over that location...

mike25, i've actually looked into opening a Chick-fil-A in downtown myself, Chick-fil-A is notoriously difficult for a) getting a franchise and b) placing a franchise. You don't go to CFA and say, i want to build one here, they tell you where your location will be; if downtown Norfolk isn't on their business plan, it's not going to happen

Tel, HMSHost's contract is up for re-negotiation currently, with their lease ending in December 2010. If the mall or HMSHost declines to renew, you will see new brands in the food court. Given the economic climate and HMSHost's performance the last two years, it's 50-50 right now that things go through. Recently the management structure merged with the airport, making things that much more difficult to manage, so you never know...keep your fingers crossed.

mike25, i've actually looked into opening a Chick-fil-A in downtown myself, Chick-fil-A is notoriously difficult for a) getting a franchise and b) placing a franchise. You don't go to CFA and say, i want to build one here, they tell you where your location will be; if downtown Norfolk isn't on their business plan, it's not going to happen

If you are interested in really doing this...consider a property on the corner of colonial and 21st st. Its a closed pizza-hut and would make a perfect location for a chick-fil-a!

If you are interested in really doing this...consider a property on the corner of colonial and 21st st. Its a closed pizza-hut and would make a perfect location for a chick-fil-a!

Too far away from downtown IMO, there are some small lots in downtown that would work well, as well as parts of St Paul's Quadrant. People will drive 5 - 10 miles for CFA, not a McDs or Burger King tho

a downtown Chick-Fil-A will be my goal for the time being, but not attainable currently haha

Reeds Jewelers had a very poor location in the mall, it was second floor in the back near Tidewater Sports and Collectibles and the former Maternity store, no surprise they packed up when their lease ended. Christian Bernard on the other hand is one of the highest traffic spots in the mall, and will be a prime location for someone to take over. I know Kay Jewelers has been looking to relocate in the mall for years now, they may take over that location...

Tel, HMSHost's contract is up for re-negotiation currently, with their lease ending in December 2010. If the mall or HMSHost declines to renew, you will see new brands in the food court. Given the economic climate and HMSHost's performance the last two years, it's 50-50 right now that things go through. Recently the management structure merged with the airport, making things that much more difficult to manage, so you never know...keep your fingers crossed.

Actually Reed's Jewelers seems like an decent location IMO because its near the fairly new COACH location and its the first shop on the right when guests come through that entrance. I was in MacArthur today and there are 3 closed stores on that side (former Maternity store, Tidewater Sports, and Reeds). GNC and the perfume store looked a lil lonely over there. Also some stores will close soon because some are seasonal like the two Calendar Club Go Toys and Game stores and store in the old Coach space. Something upscale would fit well in the Reeds spot since its adjacent to COACH and I noticed that most of the upscale stores in MacArthur are on the 2nd floor. But due to the economy...not many luxury/upscale stores are expanding at this point. And I agree that the Christian Bernard store is a good location for something exciting as well. I hope MacArthur and Military Circle will fair well throughout the economic downturn but things are not promising since spending was lower this year. I heard that new stores were going to set up at Military Circle but I don't know how reliable that is.

I think a Chick-fil-A at MacArthur would be great...for shoppers and downtown residents/employees as well. The only Chick-fil-A is on Military Hwy near the Target and Farm Fresh. They closed the location inside Military Circle Mall, which has a sorta sad food court now since another food court tenant closed up shop recently. I love Chick-fil-A but I don't get to patronize there due to their lack of presence in Norfolk. I would like to see one near the newer super Wal-Mart on Tidewater, Downtown/MacArthur, and maybe in Ghent or Hampton Blvd.

If the mall doesn't renew HMSHost contract...I would like to see Chick-fil-A, Taco Bell, some Japanese food tenant like the ones Lynnhaven and Greenbrier have (Sarku or Sakkio I think), Chipotle (well maybe this could be built on the first level facing Monticello), and McDonald's or Wendy's (I do not like BK). Also a cold stone or some gelato shop would be great as well as a better pretzel store. I know this is alot but these are just some ideas...but I'm definitely not going to hold my breath.

By the way...it seems that local stores are not fairing well either. Bobbywood closed (I never been there) as well as a couple of other stores on Granby. There is an article on pilotonline that The Circle restaurant in Portsmouth is closing after New Years Eve. How is Ghent fairing? Things doesn't look the best for Granby Street right now but things may get better if the economy gets better.

I would certainly like to see more retail come to Granby in order to add some diversity to what is just a row of bars and restaurants. Some of the comments to the article are just brutal. I did not know there was so much hate for my hometown.

Yes I concur. Parking and the light rail construction will present more of a obstacle with attracting shoppers, local businesses and national retailers. I think a mix of local and national would be good to complement MacArthur and would bring in more foot traffic.

Too far away from downtown IMO, there are some small lots in downtown that would work well, as well as parts of St Paul's Quadrant. People will drive 5 - 10 miles for CFA, not a McDs or Burger King tho

a downtown Chick-Fil-A will be my goal for the time being, but not attainable currently haha

I definitely believe you could make it work. Raleigh has a downtown Chick-fil-a, but I believe its only open during the week (working hours). Good Luck to ya, hope you find your space!!!

Actually Reed's Jewelers seems like an decent location IMO because its near the fairly new COACH location and its the first shop on the right when guests come through that entrance. I was in MacArthur today and there are 3 closed stores on that side (former Maternity store, Tidewater Sports, and Reeds). GNC and the perfume store looked a lil lonely over there.

The original traffic pattern of the mall on paper called for the Center Court (where the customer service area is) to be the focal point of the mall, where the most traffic would be, and sold retailers on that. That's why Kay's, Papyrus and other retailers took those lease areas. When the mall opened, it quickly became obvious that most traffic was centered around the escalators/elevators near the Monticello Ave entrance, leaving some key stores occupying space that wasn't a high traffic area. That's why Fink's moved down the second level, and also why the majority of stores that have closed are on the 'far' side of the mall. Think about it...Timberland, Discovery, Maternity, Tidewater Sports, Reed's, all stores near Nordstroms, which doesn't get nearly the same volume of traffic as Dilliards (there's more but I'm drawing a blank right now) Stores in the near side of the mall near Monticello aren't closing due to lack of traffic, it's either moving space, leases are up or bankruptcy (FYE, Waldenbooks, Sharper Image, Black House White Market) Coach just moved down to that location this year; Reed's has been in a poor volume location for nine years now, one store moving wouldn't make that much of a difference. Yes being near an entrance helps traffic, but the majority of traffic at MacArthur (not counting Nordstroms or Dilliards) comes into the Food Court and Monticello Ave.

I think a Chick-fil-A at MacArthur would be great...for shoppers and downtown residents/employees as well. The only Chick-fil-A is on Military Hwy near the Target and Farm Fresh. They closed the location inside Military Circle Mall, which has a sorta sad food court now since another food court tenant closed up shop recently. I love Chick-fil-A but I don't get to patronize there due to their lack of presence in Norfolk. I would like to see one near the newer super Wal-Mart on Tidewater, Downtown/MacArthur, and maybe in Ghent or Hampton Blvd.

I do not understand why there arn't more fast-food places or national restaurant on Hampton Blvd between ODU and Ghent. I understand that Lamberts Point and Park Place are on either side...but the traffic on that road is ridiculous and the people who traffic down that road would provide so much business. Even if it was a recognizable restaurant like Uno's or Chili's. They would get so much money from professionals associated with ODU or Norfolk General.

Just a thought.

By the way I read a couple months ago that construction was approved for a Dunkin Donuts on Hampton around 38th st. I don't know if anyone else is aware of this?????

The original traffic pattern of the mall on paper called for the Center Court (where the customer service area is) to be the focal point of the mall, where the most traffic would be, and sold retailers on that. That's why Kay's, Papyrus and other retailers took those lease areas. When the mall opened, it quickly became obvious that most traffic was centered around the escalators/elevators near the Monticello Ave entrance, leaving some key stores occupying space that wasn't a high traffic area. That's why Fink's moved down the second level, and also why the majority of stores that have closed are on the 'far' side of the mall. Think about it...Timberland, Discovery, Maternity, Tidewater Sports, Reed's, all stores near Nordstroms, which doesn't get nearly the same volume of traffic as Dilliards (there's more but I'm drawing a blank right now) Stores in the near side of the mall near Monticello aren't closing due to lack of traffic, it's either moving space, leases are up or bankruptcy (FYE, Waldenbooks, Sharper Image, Black House White Market) Coach just moved down to that location this year; Reed's has been in a poor volume location for nine years now, one store moving wouldn't make that much of a difference. Yes being near an entrance helps traffic, but the majority of traffic at MacArthur (not counting Nordstroms or Dilliards) comes into the Food Court and Monticello Ave.

You make a very good point but I thought that alot of stores like to be located adjacent to stores which serve similiar markets. You know like Talbots, Chico's, Ann Taylor, and Coldwater Creek being so close to one another because they cater to middle class to affluent females. I thought with COACH moving that another store serving a similiar market would be interested in the old Reed's Jeweler location. But with the economy things don't look well. Also I heard that Waldenbooks couldn't renew their lease with the mall due to the opening of Barnes & Noble and they have a non-competition clause in their contrack...which is similiar with the one that was at Lynnhaven. Sharper Image went bankrupt and Discovery and Tidewater Sports closed all their stores if I can recollect.

Has anyone been in Exotic Home in the Antiques District on Granby? It looks really nice from outside, probably out of my price range. I'm going to check it out next time I'm downtown during the day.

I seen it and it looks great from the outside. Is there parking adjacent to the building? I will check it out one day but it does look expensive. I hope it can serve as a catalyst for redevelopment down that part of granby because it needs it. The Granby tower would've served as a catalyst but I don't that will ever come to fruition.

I do not understand why there arn't more fast-food places or national restaurant on Hampton Blvd between ODU and Ghent. I understand that Lamberts Point and Park Place are on either side...but the traffic on that road is ridiculous and the people who traffic down that road would provide so much business. Even if it was a recognizable restaurant like Uno's or Chili's. They would get so much money from professionals associated with ODU or Norfolk General.

Just a thought.

Another good point...but I think they need to fix the road and infrastructure from 40 st towards west Ghent and the railroad. It needs to be consistent with the road and pavement around the ODU part. They also need better lighting. But the main problem is there are too many property owners and some don't want to sell to ODU or whoever and the ones who don't mind selling are asking for an unusually high amount...like that Boone guy with the house across the McDonald's. That's one of the reasons whats preventing that shopping center with the proposed Farm Fresh for ODU and the surrounding areas on Hampton Blvd.

Edited by Weaver24

Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market

It took them long enough to open!!! :P

Yeah, the description sounds nice. Its also good that Norfolk is getting the first one in VA, which is mostly due to the success of the two supercenters. I just can't picture a Wal-Mart being upscale (merchandised like a Harris Teeter), but I heard Food Lion did it with Bloom so who knows...and they mentioned low prices and convenience as well...you can't beat that.

Has anyone been in Exotic Home in the Antiques District on Granby? It looks really nice from outside, probably out of my price range. I'm going to check it out next time I'm downtown during the day.

Yeah, the store consists mostly of exotic wood furniture imported from countries in Asia. The employee I spoke with was super nice. This store is a spin off of a sister store down on the outerbanks. Unfortunately, I can't imagine the store surviving for very long especially in this economy. I was more impressed with the build out of the space than the actual furniture, just not my style.

540 Design Studio opened up right across the street. They do a lot of metal, plastic, and fabrication work. Tables, desks, stairs, railings...you get the point. Great guys, graduates from Tech!

Macy's closing stores

Whew, glad none are here in Hampton Roads!

I still think that Macy's should close the Military Circle store and build their new area flagship store at MacArthur Center...

...even consider closing the store at Chesapeake Square too. That mall has gone downhill!!!

To me all of the small mall stores of Macy's degrades the brand. I think of a 7 story building in NYC when I think Macy's. Not Hecht's re-badged.