Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

So it is Bloomingdale's!

While Vdogg did say "no" I already indirectly said "no" earlier when I said that Bloomingdales was more interested in MacArthur rather than across from Granby. :silly: BLOOMINGDALES is NOT going across the street from Granby Tower!!!! It's only an idea of what to expect!

Is this recent? Didn't both Bloomingdale's and Sak's thumb their noses at MacArthur when it was in design a decade ago? Macy's was to be the third anchor before Federated bought them. Now with the takeover of May Co. and the revitalization of Downtown, is Federated looking to add their flagship brand (Bloomingdale's) to the area?

Yeah fairly recent. Yeah Saks and Macy's (especially Macy's) bailed on the MacArthur Mall before construction started. But once the construction on the mall began and when it finally opened, Ed Ladd during his tenure of being manager mentioned numerous times in interviews that talks with Saks and Macy's are ongoing to see who wants to be the third anchor and he also brought up Bloomingdales and another store that I can't remember the name of, who also approached Taubman for that last opening spot. Ever since Ed Ladd left though, all successive managers have refused to be as open on the third anchor. I think has been because of competitive reasons for the hush-hush.

You guys have to know that it's already be mentioned in this thread. And through process of elimination i've pretty much already told you who. I just can't directly say it. Read between the lines :P

In the end I think it stands out. Kinda like those things where you look into a abstract and then all of a sudden a 3-D image pops out and reveals to you what you've been seeing this whole time yet never exactly realized it.

You guys have to know that it's already be mentioned in this thread. And through process of elimination i've pretty much already told you who. I just can't directly say it. Read between the lines

I'm trying but the only thing I'm coming up with is a building that has underground parking and a pistol range, TJ Maxx on the first floor, AJ Wright on the second, and a roof top rock climbing wall with an open air Starbucks. Does that sound about right? I've been looking between the lines for the past hour, but all I can see is gray.

:D;)

I've been reading you guys' discussion about Bloomingdale's possibly coming to Norfolk. I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I think Federated (parent of Bloomingdale's and Macy's) is going to expand in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area, but it's too early to tell wheter that will mean Bloomingdale's stores in smaller markets yet.

The rumors hve been flyiong all over UP and the internet that several cities the size of Norfolk will get Bloomingdale's. So far Nashville, Charlotte, Richmond and Raleigh have all been mentioned.

Out of all of them, Norfolk and Raleigh have the best chance, mainly because there's avalable space to expand in "good" malls or retail areas and the sales at existing Hecht's stores are strong. I think Norfolk has an excellent chance of getting Bloomingdale's based on that.

That said, I can't say for certain that Bloomingdale's is coming. It's a quirky store and they're just now building a third store in the Washington market. It may be a while before you see one in the smaller metros. I do wish you guys the best on it though.

I've been reading you guys' discussion about Bloomingdale's possibly coming to Norfolk. I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I think Federated (parent of Bloomingdale's and Macy's) is going to expand in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area, but it's too early to tell wheter that will mean Bloomingdale's stores in smaller markets yet.

The rumors hve been flyiong all over UP and the internet that several cities the size of Norfolk will get Bloomingdale's. So far Nashville, Charlotte, Richmond and Raleigh have all been mentioned.

Out of all of them, Norfolk and Raleigh have the best chance, mainly because there's avalable space to expand in "good" malls or retail areas and the sales at existing Hecht's stores are strong. I think Norfolk has an excellent chance of getting Bloomingdale's based on that.

That said, I can't say for certain that Bloomingdale's is coming. It's a quirky store and they're just now building a third store in the Washington market. It may be a while before you see one in the smaller metros. I do wish you guys the best on it though.

So it is Bloomingdale's!

No.

I might for a Bloomingdale's... maybe. I try to get to Lynnhaven and MacArthur when I can, though. They're nice malls and they offer a much different atmosphere than Patrick Henry.

^ I don't think Bloomie's would be worth a trip. It's just a department store with a coveted name. Most of the merchandise is from the same designers Nordstrom, Dillards, and Lord&Taylor sell. Perhaps I'm missing something but to me there's little difference between these stores. I suppose it would be nice to add another chain to the list of those represented in the area but I wouldn't be DYING for the opportunity to shop at Bloomie's. I'm a store whore (am I allowed to say that here?). I have no loyalty. Whoever has good looking stuff on sale the week I want to shop is who I buy from.

But anyway, I'm anxious to hear who the prospective retailer is.

^ I don't think Bloomie's would be worth a trip. It's just a department store with a coveted name. Most of the merchandise is from the same designers Nordstrom, Dillards, and Lord&Taylor sell. Perhaps I'm missing something but to me there's little difference between these stores. I suppose it would be nice to add another chain to the list of those represented in the area but I wouldn't be DYING for the opportunity to shop at Bloomie's. I'm a store whore (am I allowed to say that here?). I have no loyalty. Whoever has good looking stuff on sale the week I want to shop is who I buy from.

But anyway, I'm anxious to hear who the prospective retailer is.

IMO, the name is everything. Bloomingdale's may be nothing special, but I have a lot of respect for it and think highly of it. When I think of it I think of "high class" and a big city. So yes, I am DYING for a Bloomingdale's at MacArthur! :D

american apparel is planning on entering the HR market... they typically don't open up in malls.

True, but depending on the developing demographic downtown, Granby might be a bit too professional or empty nester for them. I think a location in Ghent would put them closer to their market.