Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

This makes the most sense to me...it seems there is no clear direction, but too many different market forces trying to provide the highest and best use. It ends up just providing several expensive businesses/restaurants but not one clear/consistent district for which the consumer can rely on. The only trend seems to be high end restaurants and clubs. Everything else suffers from the fact they are not conforming to the trend. They are given high rents because there is the possibility to attract a nice restaurant but the street is over crowded with restaurants, and the fact that its a downtown makes off-beat small business want the lease space instead.

Sorry to ramble, but to rap up I hope the retail at Wells Fargo frees up/mixes up some of the downtown retail and makes it possible for smaller businesses to lease again on Granby.

One of the two has to happen. Wages need to go up or leases need to go down. Once that happens, you will see a serious change on granby. Problem is, TCC is making moves on granby that others can't or willing to do right now. They will eventually lock up everything on that side of granby..

A new Bill's Flea Market? This is GREAT NEWS! I used to love going to the store in Va Beach. It was an afternoon well spent. I LOVE going to thrift stores and flea markets. BTW, the reason there are so many thrift stores and fleas in that part of Norfolk is because they are needed, and they are SUCCESSFUL, just like the 2 Wal-Mart's in that part of town. (Thanks for the economy, W!) So don't be a NIMBY when it comes to thrifty shopping.

I've been after a bunch of classic computers. Oddly enough, many of the thrift stores turn away computers below a specific speed. That speed kills all of the old vintage home computers.

Has anyone eaten at The 219 on Granby Street? I've never been there, but a group was planning on meeting there for brunch on Sunday. They called last night and told us not to come. They were closing as of Thursday and will not re-open.

Another one bites the dust.

I walked by it yesterday and the sign on the door said closed for remodel. It did look like they were packing stuff up.

I saw it for sale on a commercial real estate site yesterday as well. So I guess it has been for sale for a while.

Been looking for cheap commercial space in Virginia Beach for a new hacker lab.

One of the two has to happen. Wages need to go up or leases need to go down. Once that happens, you will see a serious change on granby. Problem is, TCC is making moves on granby that others can't or willing to do right now. They will eventually lock up everything on that side of granby..

Hmmm I think the only big changes that are going to be sweeping Granby in the next couple of years are all the "for lease" signs that will be popping up in the near future. The city leaders seem to take one step forward and then three steps back with all their choices for DT. I really wish we could get some people with a real vision (Read: people under 60 who are not stuck in a time warp of how things usta be back in the day) on city council.

I think a big problem is that they think all military people are cheap and not interested in anything off the base, but most of them have been other places and other military towns seem to do OK (San Diego for example). Norfolk is a Navy town but never seems to be able to really embrace that fact or really exploit that market in general.

Bill's Flea Market will go in the old bowling alley on Military Highway. This is close to the intersection of Military Highway and Norview Ave, and its across from the neighboorhood Tanners Creek and Meadowbrook I believe is behind it. This flea market used to be in Va Beach near the town center before the building was burned down. What you guys think about this? I wonder did they get it approved by the city, because the city council has to approve all new thrift stores and flea markets that comes into Norfolk... I don't mind flea markets but I think there are enough in that area of Norfolk. There is a flea market across the new Wawa on Little Creek Road, and there is one on Military Highway near the airport. There are numerous thrift stores on Little Creek Road and other parts of Norfolk. I go to flea markets from time to time, but I think too much of anything especially flea markets and thrift stores, will give Norfolk a tawdry, tacky and cheap impression.

No it's not. The owner of Bill's Flea Market set up shop in SONO under the name Flea Market at SONO. There was a VA pilot article in December about that. Check it...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/bills-flea...home-chesapeake

I guess your looking at a 'new' flea market. :)

Hmmm I think the only big changes that are going to be sweeping Granby in the next couple of years are all the "for lease" signs that will be popping up in the near future. The city leaders seem to take one step forward and then three steps back with all their choices for DT. I really wish we could get some people with a real vision (Read: people under 60 who are not stuck in a time warp of how things usta be back in the day) on city council.

I think a big problem is that they think all military people are cheap and not interested in anything off the base, but most of them have been other places and other military towns seem to do OK (San Diego for example). Norfolk is a Navy town but never seems to be able to really embrace that fact or really exploit that market in general.

First, I think they have a vision and that is hooking up their wealthy friends. The city gov't is going to cater to those with money, because money is power.

Second, I don't buy the poor military thing. Military people today get pay and benefits that are pretty much exceed what many people could earn in the private sector. The issue is the jobs outside of the military and military contractors.

No it's not. The owner of Bill's Flea Market set up shop in SONO under the name Flea Market at SONO. There was a VA pilot article in December about that. Check it...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/bills-flea...home-chesapeake

I guess your looking at a 'new' flea market. :)

Yes, I was correct. That is Bill's Flea Market which was previously located in Va Beach near Town Center. Below is a link on the updated story. It will open on Sunday. The city can not do a thing about it because it is an indoor flea market. They will change the ordinance to require indoor flea markets in the future to require a special exemption. The neighboorhoods around it did oppose it, as well as Councilman Randy Wright, but there is nothign the city can do. The real estate agent who is leasing the space was suprised to hear of surrounding neighboorhood opposition. It's sad to see that area of Norfolk going down because the demographics are not affluent, but pretty established, and the neighboorhoods behind the flea market (Meadowbrook Terrace, High Point Club, Water's Edge, etc.) are pretty nice. And I do go to flea markets myself, but I feel that there are too many in that area of Norfolk and so does the Civic League head.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/law-cant-h...rection-norfolk

Yes, I was correct. That is Bill's Flea Market which was previously located in Va Beach near Town Center. Below is a link on the updated story. It will open on Sunday. The city can not do a thing about it because it is an indoor flea market. They will change the ordinance to require indoor flea markets in the future to require a special exemption. The neighboorhoods around it did oppose it, as well as Councilman Randy Wright, but there is nothign the city can do. The real estate agent who is leasing the space was suprised to hear of surrounding neighboorhood opposition. It's sad to see that area of Norfolk going down because the demographics are not affluent, but pretty established, and the neighboorhoods behind the flea market (Meadowbrook Terrace, High Point Club, Water's Edge, etc.) are pretty nice. And I do go to flea markets myself, but I feel that there are too many in that area of Norfolk and so does the Civic League head.

I'll prolly be there on opening day, I love Bill's flea market!

This is the reason they develop "districts", just for this sort of thing. It helps everyone involved, but the city has not caught on to it yet. Same thing can be said about Granby street, how some complain about the loud drunks at night, pissing on their stairs.

CVS pharmacy is expanding/planning to expand in Hampton Roads. Below is a link to the article. They have a location being constructed in Newport News and one in Hampton. They have one being being built in Va Beach and numerous being planned. There are three planned for Norfolk. One will be on the corner of Chesapeake Blvd and Little Creek Road (which the old vacated Texaco and indoor flea market will be taken down), one will be on Little Creek Road near Shore Drive, and the other will be on Military Highway near the old Best Square Shopping Center. This is good because I like CVS better than Rite Aid and they have better service, which I noticed.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/cvs-drugst...s-hampton-roads

CVS pharmacy is expanding/planning to expand in Hampton Roads. Below is a link to the article. They have a location being constructed in Newport News and one in Hampton. They have one being being built in Va Beach and numerous being planned. There are three planned for Norfolk. One will be on the corner of Chesapeake Blvd and Little Creek Road (which the old vacated Texaco and indoor flea market will be taken down), one will be on Little Creek Road near Shore Drive, and the other will be on Military Highway near the old Best Square Shopping Center. This is good because I like CVS better than Rite Aid and they have better service, which I noticed.

That's definitely good news.

One thing I'm hoping for is a good upscale gas station/convenience store to support downtown. Like a Sheetz or Wawa. There is an empty/abandoned gas station now on the corner of E. Wilson and Monticello downtown. This location would be perfect! And once Tidewater gardens is gone the spot will be even better.

Well, i respectfully disagree that having a flea market means a neighborhood is "going down". And having a flea market in front of your neighborhood might be a good thing to have in this economy. Bunch of NIMBYs can only think "oh NOOOOO, POOR people might come in the area!" Yes, we ALL KNOW that criminals are just waiting for a new flea market. We all know that criminals sell old baby clothes and cheap DVDs along with their drugs and stolen guns! Give me a friggin' break! They'd rather have an empty building than a business that will put money into local people's pockets. A flea market is a way for LOCAL people to earn a few extra dollars, and i'd rather support local business people than put dollars in yet another Wal-Mart or Target.

End of rant. These neighborhood associations are the worst of the worst, in my opinion. I wonder if they were against the clothes line bill also. :angry:

Well, i respectfully disagree that having a flea market means a neighborhood is "going down". And having a flea market in front of your neighborhood might be a good thing to have in this economy. Bunch of NIMBYs can only think "oh NOOOOO, POOR people might come in the area!" Yes, we ALL KNOW that criminals are just waiting for a new flea market. We all know that criminals sell old baby clothes and cheap DVDs along with their drugs and stolen guns! Give me a friggin' break! They'd rather have an empty building than a business that will put money into local people's pockets. A flea market is a way for LOCAL people to earn a few extra dollars, and i'd rather support local business people than put dollars in yet another Wal-Mart or Target.

End of rant. These neighborhood associations are the worst of the worst, in my opinion. I wonder if they were against the clothes line bill also. :angry:

Haha, good post...needed to be said!

The Cheseapeake/Little Creek store will be at the same intersection as a Rite-Aid. I will never understand why pharmacies build stores next to existing ones. They cannabilize each other. Rite-Aid bought out the struggling Eckerd, then Rite-Aid had record breaking losses in 2008. Eventually, CVS or Walgreens will buy out Rite-Aid, and we'll have even less competition. And all those small box stores on opposite corners will be turned into Family Dollars or Dollar Trees.

Yeah but I think if a neighboorhood has concerns, then the city should listen to them. They are taxpayers in this cash strapped city and actually contribute to the tax base of Norfolk, which is very limited. And yes certain elements especially the unruly crowds are attracted to flea markets. Local people can make money at flea markets but we already have plenty in Norfolk. Too much of anything is superfluous and over saturation. That is a nice neighboorhood behind the imminent flea market. But I guess this is better than an empty building. I just think with the traffic on that street, that there could have been a better use for the property.

Below is an article about the two Bill's Flea Markets (Military Hwy and SoNo) and which one is the real one...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/03/whos-real-...th-say-they-are

The recession is affecting the two malls in Norfolk. The vacancy rate in the malls are increasing. There are a lot of empty storefronts.

And yes certain elements especially the unruly crowds are attracted to flea markets.

You ARE kidding, right? I was being sarcastic when i said that in my earlier post. What sort of 'unruly' people would sell things at a flea market at 8 am on Saturday morning?

The recession is affecting the two malls in Norfolk. The vacancy rate in the malls are increasing. There are a lot of empty storefronts.

Which is why those NIMBYs shouldn't be upset about any LEGITIMATE, LEGAL taxpaying business that opens in their neighborhood. I would also suggest that the dealers are adding a few new dollars to Norfolk by their taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Short article in the Pilot about MacArthur Center turning 10 years old last week yet no hope in sight for a third anchor tenant

In ten years, the mall has generated $2.3 billion in total sales and $73 million in tax revenue

Is that tax revenue with or without the the intial tax investment. In other words, has the project broken even or not in terms of tax investment.

I have a question..

How come there is so few franchised fast food resturants and things of that nature Downtown? In any other Downtown area in America you can find at least a macdonalds, burger king, hardees, wendys, ect.. All we have downtown is a subway.. Im not counting the macarthur food court or the mcdonalds and popeyes on st pauls either

I have a question..

How come there is so few franchised fast food resturants and things of that nature Downtown? In any other Downtown area in America you can find at least a macdonalds, burger king, hardees, wendys, ect.. All we have downtown is a subway.. Im not counting the macarthur food court or the mcdonalds and popeyes on st pauls either

That popeyes on st paul's can't even be considered fast food. I went there two times, and waiting for a half hour each time for my meal, ugh.

You're right though, there aren't many regulars in downtown Norfolk... but if you step to colley, 21st, or granby north of brambleton they are all over the place again.

I'd imagine the space downtown is just too expensive for the amount of sales they'd expect to get, since not that many people really live in downtown. Most people that go to downtown are probably going to maccarthur to shop, or to the granby bars at night I'd guess, so the only place the chains can make legitamate money is in the mall itself. I don't ever seem to see many people just meandering around down there like I've seen in most other cities (although I'm still new to Norfolk, so maybe this changes when the weather warms up).

The only place I could consider fast food near where I'm at is probably Machismo on York Street, which... I really like, but it'd be nice to have other close options as well-