Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Quote from the article today about denying the privilege to sell alcohol to three clubs...

"Although the Military Circle/Janaf area remains a key shopping corridor, some storefronts are vacant. Councilman W. Randy Wright said some hotels have begun to deteriorate. Sales in the area have dropped slightly, including a $41 million drop at Military Circle mall from 2006 to 2008."

Military Circle sales has dropped significantly. I still wonder about the future of that mall. I think they should go the same route that they are doing with Peninsula Town Center (Coliseum Mall). That town center is starting to look nice and will make Hampton a destination.

Guess there is plenty of profit to be made in running a restaurant!

Bobby Huber clearly got in over his head with the La Galleria change. He should have left it all as is; both places (LG and Bobbywood) did decent business. Maybe I can pick up a nice Espresso machine from the auction.

I've heard that the Quiznos in the bottom of the BB&T tower has gone under.

I know that the soda machines were down, and noticed that they were selling expired soda in cans. Figured there were issues paying the soda company? Was going to make a video of it, but guess it's too late now!

Wasabi also shut down in that building. They had space on 15 and 11th.

I've heard that the Quiznos in the bottom of the BB&T tower has gone under.

I know that the soda machines were down, and noticed that they were selling expired soda in cans. Figured there were issues paying the soda company? Was going to make a video of it, but guess it's too late now!

Wasabi also shut down in that building. They had space on 15 and 11th.

Just there in February, unless something has changed since now and then.

great job with the interior look for the comic shop, definitely does not have the typical feel a comic shop usually has.

Oh and I have to point out this because I love this, the tin ceiling panels look really amazing in this space...though correct me if I am wrong, they look tin in the pictures.

Nonetheless, this would be just another reason why I would want to be living in Ghent if I still lived in Virginia....well, except for the lack of an architecture program in Hampton Roads...unless you count Hampton University, but that is more of an engineering architecture program...but that is a different subject entirely.

Anyway, thanks for posting the comic shop, that was really cool to see.

I saw this place the first day it opened. I absolutely love it. It has a nice treny urban look inside. The owner, Greg, is a great guy and his store helps make Ghent that much cooler.
And it's conveniently located next to the best pizza parlor I've been to in Norfolk so far... Cogan's-

great job with the interior look for the comic shop, definitely does not have the typical feel a comic shop usually has.

Oh and I have to point out this because I love this, the tin ceiling panels look really amazing in this space...though correct me if I am wrong, they look tin in the pictures.

The ceiling panels are indeed tin. They look great in person. I have not seen another comic shop in Virginia that looks like Local Heroes.

Edited by Rokk

Another one bites the dust. L'Occitane closed in MacArthur this week due to lease renewal problems. That was another exclusive retailer that didn't have any other locations in Hampton Roads. That mall has so many boarded up spaces in it now. I don't even enjoy the mall like I used to. I think they should allow free parking if you purchase something to increase the traffic of paying customers in the mall. Unfortunately it is starting to get a rowdy and unsavory crowd at night as well as Waterside. I hope the mall will thrive in the future but things are not looking too good.

Edited by Weaver24

Indra has closed due to code violations... however...the guy that owns Havanas bought the building and is reopening it as a country/western club within a few days. He also told me he was opening a gentleman's club and another after hours club downtown in the near future.

Indra has closed due to code violations... however...the guy that owns Havanas bought the building and is reopening it as a country/western club within a few days. He also told me he was opening a gentleman's club and another after hours club downtown in the near future.

A country/western club in downtown. Not exactly what I was hoping for. And there is no way City Council will allow him to open a gentleman's club downtown. They will move heaven and earth to stop that idea. I think that is one of the few things that unites all of Norfolk's city council.

Personally, I would like to see a bit more diversity in terms of what type of businesses are on Granby. Clubs and restaurants are fine and all, but it would be great to see more retail coming to Granby.

A country/western club in downtown. Not exactly what I was hoping for. And there is no way City Council will allow him to open a gentleman's club downtown. They will move heaven and earth to stop that idea. I think that is one of the few things that unites all of Norfolk's city council.

Personally, I would like to see a bit more diversity in terms of what type of businesses are on Granby. Clubs and restaurants are fine and all, but it would be great to see more retail coming to Granby.

Well lately it seems like everything downtown has become a hip hop club whether they wanted to or not so I'm looking forward to a change.

He previously tried to open a gentlemen's club at the former Club Soda (now Big Easy) and said the obstruction was actually the landowner and now the city as the Pilot article had stated. I think an upscale gentlemen's club would be just fine downtown. Retail will return when people start purchasing things again.

Yeah guys I just returned from a "Megalopogis" trip to see family up north and the cities i saw just made me so depressed. They are so far ahead of Norfolk I just hope one day we will become what they already are as far as retail and restaraunts are concerned. I was highly impressed with NoVa and Philly. NoVa has so much construction under way and the retail in the crystal city area and pentagon city is just amazing. Philly has tons of new retail around Temple University including new foot locker, apple retail store, ect. Guys what the heck will it take for Norfolk to get on their level. I mean I know comparing Philly to Norfolk is apples to oranges but if you think about it it really isn't. Philly doesn't have the greatest businesses or really anything Hampton Roads doesn't have except sports. All i want to know is what has to change. Another thing i was quite impressed with was the density and urban streetscapes of NoVa. I am finally over the taller equals better mentality. It's amazing what they do up there without building taller than 250 feet. I am hoping Wachovia Center retail takes off, the dunkin donuts is a start. I felt proud when my big city family did say that they think Norfolk is in the process of becoming a "big city" which made me feel good. LETS GO NORFOLK!

Yeah guys I just returned from a "Megalopogis" trip to see family up north and the cities i saw just made me so depressed.
It's not so depressing that Philly is a "better" downtown than Norfolk, afterall, Philly has one of the top 5 populations of any metro in the us, it SHOULD have a nicer downtown.

What IS depressing though, is that cities like Charlotte, and Baltimore, which have populations not much more then hampton roads' metro, have downtowns that are amazing when compared to Norfolk. What drives me insane is that the nights I've gone out in Charlotte & Baltimore, the city is just packed, even in terrible weather, there's so much liveliness & energy, it's almost addictive to be around. The people make those cities places you want to be in. When I go out in Norfolk, half the time the streets are empty, even in gorgeous weather like this weekend, and when it is actually crowded, there's no positive vibe or energy emanating from the people, noone is friendly, it's extremely frustrating. But, I just don't see that ever changing in this area.

I was just saying Philly because i've recently been there. But exactly Charlotte has lower metro population than hampton roads and Downtown is so much more booming. But still i'm over my "every city is better than norfolk" all I had to do was think about all the new developments and the Transit Vision Plan and I'm optimistic again. I mean if The Plan comes to fruition HR will most likely have one of the best mass transit systems in the country. Only ones better will most likely be DC Metro and NYC.

there's no positive vibe or energy emanating from the people, noone is friendly, it's extremely frustrating. But, I just don't see that ever changing in this area.

I really can see that changing. Somewhere in the pattern book it suggested Norfolk have 80% of buildings with ground floor retail which will greatly improve foot traffic.

Edited by varider

Well for starters, Norfolk needs to think outside of the box (sorry, lame pun). The things I keep pointing out are the things that should be happening there. Whenever new development goes in, the response shouldnt be "yay for new development!" it should be "how does this work on a sidewalk level?"

Increasing the potential for retail and restaurants is important. Looking at other streets, other than Granby for increasing activity downtown...there is no excuse for Monticello for being a dead street and Granby being an active street...both streets should be loaded with property that opens up to the sidewalks (granted with the new tower, this might change.)

Then their is St Paul, if you look at that area on the map, it would double the size of downtown. It should be treated as such and planned accordingly.

Also, while I think the Granby Tower would of been a nice addition to the skyline, I think it would of potentially missed the mark for street level activity. The area right there around the "flatiron park" (which a little bit of history, use to be a 7?story office building there called the flatiron building, after the one in NYC), which by redeveloping that area with possible smaller buildings or even modest towers, the street activity could create an perpendicular relationship to the retail fronts along Granby. Then of course, the new development along York could of easily been seen as an extension from Granby with retail front facing the street light rail will run down.

Also to go along with this would be the need to rethink how Waterside works within the city. Just because it is a busy street doesnt mean it needs to be just for cars. It can easily be a pedestrian friendly street and still be a busy street with a proper makeover.

But the key point I am getting at, is everything in a downtown is connected...wish Granby was more active like other cities, fix Waterside, then fix Monticello, then fix Plume, then before you know it, each street would be buzzing with activity. Also another point to think about is walk around downtown and count the dead blocks, which what I mean by that is count the actual retail, then count the actual retail possibilities (ie buildings that have street entrances that can be used as retail fronts)...from this, it will paint a much better picture of areas downtown that are lacking and areas that have potential for changing...making changes like this is the only way to bring in more people to shop and eat downtown...also while doing that, increasing the number of people that live downtown (as well as the addition of a grocery store or two...no area can survive or grow without that...and there are plenty of spots for a Farm Fresh and a Whole Foods in downtown Norfolk).

Also the most important thing it to visit other cities and ask how did they get their downtowns to grow and stay active? Philly may be a big city, but the issues they have had to deal with over the years could probably mirror Norfolk's problems and I am sure there are answers in that, that could work for Norfolk.

I really can see that changing. Somewhere in the pattern book it suggested Norfolk have 80% of buildings with ground floor retail which will greatly improve foot traffic.

this is exactly what I am saying...Portland isnt a great city to be in because of its weather....it is currently raining...it is because the demand for so much chances for retail along the sidewalks makes it much more appealing on each street for activity.

Edited by urbanlife

It's not so depressing that Philly is a "better" downtown than Norfolk, afterall, Philly has one of the top 5 populations of any metro in the us, it SHOULD have a nicer downtown.

What IS depressing though, is that cities like Charlotte, and Baltimore, which have populations not much more then hampton roads' metro, have downtowns that are amazing when compared to Norfolk. What drives me insane is that the nights I've gone out in Charlotte & Baltimore, the city is just packed, even in terrible weather, there's so much liveliness & energy, it's almost addictive to be around. The people make those cities places you want to be in. When I go out in Norfolk, half the time the streets are empty, even in gorgeous weather like this weekend, and when it is actually crowded, there's no positive vibe or energy emanating from the people, noone is friendly, it's extremely frustrating. But, I just don't see that ever changing in this area.

I think it's equally unfair to compare Norfolk to Charlotte or Baltimore. After all, where do you go for entertainment in those cities? Most likely the only places they have: downtown. Hampton Roads, on the other hand, due to several large independent cities, has numerous competing destinations. You don't have to go to downtown Norfolk for a huge selection of places for dinner or nightlife. You can also go to the oceanfront, Shore Drive, Town Center, Greenbrier, downtown Portsmouth, the Peminsula, etc. If you were to compare the aggregate of those places to those other cities, it would be a completely different story. The problem with Hampton Roads is that because we have multiple cities, we have a region spread out and dispersed much like Washington, DC, with several different centers of activity. The difference is that DC has 3 times our population and can more easily handle these many centers. In some ways having this diversity and options is good; in other ways, it usually results in unfair (or incomplete) comparisons.

Edited by Sky06