Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

The dealio on Machismo.

The site in Freemason does not have a kitchen. To have a kitchen ups the building requirements heavily (fire suppression, hood, etc). So I guess the meat is cooked somewhere else and brought on site. The Virginia Beach location has a fire hood and such, and it caused lots of delays in buildout and inspection.

The site where they are moving to was a small convenience store. It got put out of business by the Farm Fresh. Used to have a neon BEER sign. Never went in it myself, just remember walking past.

A friend said that he had heard that they aren't closing the York street location, but are opening another location. Not sure if I buy this or not. "Have you been there during lunch?"

Someone else said that machismo was sold to a new person not so long ago, and the new person didn't know that the light rail line would take all of the parking spaces or cause a disruption to the business.

Kirklands is closing in MacArthur Center in Norfolk (sales going on now and everything must go), as well as Patrick Henry Mall in Newport News (will close next week). They closed their location at Greenbrier Mall last year and I believe they had one either at Lynnhaven or Chesapeake Square. There must be a problem with this retailer.

It looked like Crabtree and Evelyn is either remodeling or closing, either one.

A couple of seasonal stores will close soon in MacArthur as well.

I was in MacArthur last night and Kirkland's was alive and still OPEN!

Crabtree and Evelyn is gone, but Coldwater Creek is expanding into that space.

So was Kirkland's closing a rumor or are they planning on closing in the future???? :dontknow:

Everyone is really bent on Chipotle but I gave the VA Beach one a try and realized all their flavor is just an abundance of salt. Plus I ended up spending over $10 without a drink or chips. I'll stick to Machismo, Moes, and Pancheros.

I love Chipotle but their steak is pretty spicy. I have to be in the mood for that but it is good as well. Chipotle is addictive for me and I love their corn salsa and lime cilantro rice. I thought their burritos and bowls were like around 6-7 dollars w/o a drink. I didn't know they went up to $10. Moe's is ok but their food don't taste as fresh. I really like their fish tacos though. I never been to Pancheros but heard about them.

I was in MacArthur last night and Kirkland's was alive and still OPEN!

Crabtree and Evelyn is gone, but Coldwater Creek is expanding into that space.

So was Kirkland's closing a rumor or are they planning on closing in the future???? :dontknow:

I heard they were going to close but the mall worked with them to extend their lease for another year and they not sure what is going to happen next year. Their company is going to stop focusing on malls for some reason.

Edited by Weaver24

I walked down to the market @ harbor heights last night to get some groceries, and cruised down college place. I had no idea there was all the stuff near that interesection that there is, it blends in so well with the residential look. As someone mentioned there's like a dentists office, a couple of stores, and there was an engineering firm there also. I can't picture machismo relocating here though, I'm so used to it's straight out of a tarantino movie feel, it'll be weird to adjust to a suburban feel for machismo.

Talked to them last night. They are going to move to that other location, but also keep the York Street one going. That might eventually become delivery/catering only.

I was doing steak burritos but MAN it drove me straight to the toilet. So I went Chicken last night, and had a relapse. Double trips! I had come to expect it from the Steak, but the Chicken was new. I dunno man, something's up. Maybe I just ate too much cause the burritos are big and deceptive.

I think we'll be making more possie trips over to Moe's on 21st :-/

Wonder what is in the works for the Dekor Eklect / Appliance space. They never put a for rent sign up, I've got the suspicion that someone is already got dibs on the space.

I love Chipotle but their steak is pretty spicy. I have to be in the mood for that but it is good as well. Chipotle is addictive for me and I love their corn salsa and lime cilantro rice. I thought their burritos and bowls were like around 6-7 dollars w/o a drink. I didn't know they went up to $10. Moe's is ok but their food don't taste as fresh. I really like their fish tacos though. I never been to Pancheros but heard about them.

The great thing about Chipotle (other than their food) is they attract a crowd. Next time you're there, take a moment to pay particular attention to the numbers that place can draw. I've been in there at different times of day, weekdays, weekends and that place is always packed. Norfolk needs more national brands such as this to attract the crowds. You'll then find that business for other nearby establishments will pick up- which is one reason why so many national brands piggy back off one another.

I noticed this weekend that the steakhouse that was on the bottom floor of the renovated building on monticello ave is now close and for sale. Can't remember the name of the place, but I heard it was expensive. Not sure if someone mention this here before.

I noticed this weekend that the steakhouse that was on the bottom floor of the renovated building on monticello ave is now close and for sale. Can't remember the name of the place, but I heard it was expensive. Not sure if someone mention this here before.

Bobbywood?

One of the others turned into a seafood place.

Byrd Brothers or whatever it's called is still alive and kicking. Haven't been to it myself but am supposed to go with friends during restaurant week.

I met up with some friends yesterday in West Ghent at Tortilla West. Great little area! I've ridden my bike through there in the past, but I love that there are little restaurants tucked away back there. Definitely a place to explore in the future.

NW Corner of the Boush / College intersection:

24012886.jpg

Must be opening sometime soon in that location...

I hate mexican food, hate it hate it hate it.

But today for lunch, I will visit this burrito place and taste the food since its so much talk about it....Any recommendations?

I met up with some friends yesterday in West Ghent at Tortilla West. Great little area! I've ridden my bike through there in the past, but I love that there are little restaurants tucked away back there. Definitely a place to explore in the future.

Tortilla West has good food and the beer is priced right. The little bar across the street (Cruzer's) is no where near as scary as it looks. Its a Filipino Karaoke bar with cheap beer and food. It's geared towards the people coming in on the boats at Lamberts Point but a lot of young Ghent people come in late night to sing Karaoke.

The little bar across the street (Cruzer's) is no where near as scary as it looks. Its a Filipino Karaoke bar with cheap beer and food. It's geared towards the people coming in on the boats at Lamberts Point but a lot of young Ghent people come in late night to sing Karaoke.

Sounds like it has character.

There are 1 or 2 new places on 21st Street near Taphouse as well. Not sure of the names.

Edited by Sky06

The great thing about Chipotle (other than their food) is they attract a crowd. Next time you're there, take a moment to pay particular attention to the numbers that place can draw. I've been in there at different times of day, weekdays, weekends and that place is always packed. Norfolk needs more national brands such as this to attract the crowds. You'll then find that business for other nearby establishments will pick up- which is one reason why so many national brands piggy back off one another.

Good point...Chipotle does bring in the crowds...Moe's does too but not as much as Chipotle. I heard they also looking at Norfolk and Chesapeake on the southside. I hope they consider downtown, ghent or military highway for a location.

Tortila West was good last time I ate there.

Machismo, make sure you get something on the burrito to lube it. Sour cream or chipolte queso or something.

One of our friends is anti-colley stuff so we always end up at Cogans. But I met another friend to discuss a project and we hit San Antonio Sams and I thought it was good!

Also thought the Spinach Lasagna at Empire was good.

• 2 months later...

After 18 years in Ghent, Magnolia Steak House has closed.

Ghent restaurant Magnolia closes

Comments are interesting! I don't think the food is the tastiest thing in the world, and the portions are kind of large sometimes, but No Frill is always packed when we go.

Ten Top is also good! And they have a High Speed pinball machine, but it has a few problems (could use some TLC)

Nothing too exciting but a crew is doing some excavating on the corner of Wilson and Granby. There was a sign up the other week about retail space available with a rendering of refurbished store fronts. Hopefully they can find some tenants.

One day you will be able to walk to Ghent from Downtown without getting mugged!

Gotta get rid of the subsidized housing projects, replace em with McMansions or Condoze, then maybe.

Friend last night suggested the Turner office on Granby would be likely to go away since GT didn't happen and there hasn't been much new going their way. They are banging out a $300 mil navy housing project at the moment. Said DC has lots more going on in terms of new construction. *shrug*

Nothing too exciting but a crew is doing some excavating on the corner of Wilson and Granby. There was a sign up the other week about retail space available with a rendering of refurbished store fronts. Hopefully they can find some tenants.

One day you will be able to walk to Ghent from Downtown without getting mugged!

One day I may be able to read a post without someone's lame comments about how dangerous Norfolk is being as I have lived here over 13 years and have never been mugged on my walks from downtown (where I live) to Ghent.