Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Below is an article from pilotonline.com about MacArthur Center...soon it will not allow teens unless they are accompanied by someone 21 or older. It is finally cracking down on "unsupervised" youth. What do you think? Is this right? Will it hurt revenue? I hope not because Norfolk is already cash strapped enough as it is. I have mixed feelings on this. I have noticed that MacArthur is getting a lot of teens who come in and just gather in large groups and misbehave. I think because of the decline in Military Circle have caused more teens to become interested in MacArthur. I also notice that even Lynnhaven have a lot of teens who come and just loiter around the mall.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/macarthur-...pervised-youths

• 2 weeks later...

The former 219 restaurant space on Granby has work going on inside still. Not sure what's going to happen with the place but the doors were open today.

Oh the guy that owns like half the other restaurants is taking over it and turning it into another restaurant. Before it closed it was listed for sale at over a million bucks, but there were no takers.

Also Jack Quinns has been listed for sale for $600,000 for a while. That is just a lease takeover for the space for a few years (2? 3?) so it seems kinda high, which is probably why it hasn't been touched since the place closed. I thought the place was cool.

Jack Quinns should have never closed. I knew someone that worked there and from what I understand the owner had locations in two other states that were failing so he had to go out of business. The Norfolk location made a ton of money. I'd like to see it reopen myself.

I know two guys who managed Quinn

Never got off the ground floor myself.

It's interesting that the building is damaged and they still want a high price.

It's like the building I looked at the other day. Nature is starting to reclaim it. Before long there is going to be real damage from tree growth, and it's had roof leaks in the past that went unnoticed since no one is occupying it. So over time these unused spaces decay while the owners wait for more money. Of course it's their properties and they can do with it as they please.

(This is a big topic in the housing bubble world since banks are sitting on lots of houses, that they are keeping off the market because they don't want to make their books look bad. Meanwhile they decay and eventually will be ruined. )

Of course it's their properties and they can do with it as they please.

I want to say that something similar was the back story with Jack Quinn's. I remember some story about how the business owner was paying his lease and the building owners could not make a move as long as he was doing this. It was the same story for the location where Harris Teeter now sits in Ghent. Farm Fresh held the lease even though it sat empty for years. One of the many reasons I won't shop at their stores.

• 2 weeks later...

The Zeros downtown on Granby street is being turned into some sort of Kabob place, there was a sign posted but I can't remember the name right now. Hopefully its Middle Eastern style with authentic breads, lamb chops, chick peas, and rice. I'll be there often if so.

Kabob would be money, especially if they stayed open late night on weekends. I'm getting visions of going to Moby Dick's Kabob House in Georgetown after long nights of drinking on M St. So good.

Inside Biz Article on the new "retail recruiter" for Downtown:

http://www.insidebiz.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=62661FC7A5564F28BE838B6659F0A3F8

Well this is a start! Should be pretty cool once we start seeing the changes.

Hopefully this works out. The mall has so much retail space within that it somewhat limits what else can be supported on the street front. They need to attract some retailers that can't be found elsewhere in Hampton Roads. American Apparel would do great on Granby somewhere close to the mall. Another retailer that I'm actually surprised isn't already downtown is CVS. They tend to have urban format stores even in smaller cities.

Hopefully this works out. The mall has so much retail space within that it somewhat limits what else can be supported on the street front. They need to attract some retailers that can't be found elsewhere in Hampton Roads. American Apparel would do great on Granby somewhere close to the mall. Another retailer that I'm actually surprised isn't already downtown is CVS. They tend to have urban format stores even in smaller cities.

We could use an Urban Outfitters too.

Parking garages that are free would help it. Otherwise, VaBeach rules Norfolk drools.

Have you never been to the Oceanfront? Their parking rates are more than double Downtown Norfolk's rates. For example, let's pretend to park for 3 hours on a weekday: MacArthur South: $1, 31st VB: $6. Lets try parking all day on a Saturday: MacArthur South: $3, 31st VB: $7 You also pay for parking at Town Center. They don't charge you directyl but trust me, you pay for it. Virginia Beach still owes $67 million on the parking garages at TC, which they are slowly paying off through the TIF that encompasses TC. This district pays extra taxes to pay off these costs. In addition to that, TC properties pay an additional 45 cents per $100 of property tax to pay for continued maintenance to the parking garages and streetscape. In other words, if you own a $200,000 condo at TC, you pay $900 a year for parking. That is twice the $468/year a resident of Downtown Norfolk pays for a reserved space in a nice, new garage such as the Freemason Garage. So you can keep your incredibly expensive (or 'free' as you call it) garages and I'll take mine. Oh. One last note. By Norfolk law, the Parking Division must support its own operations. In other words, the City does not fund them year to year in the budget; they are entirely self-sustaining.

The Zeros downtown on Granby street is being turned into some sort of Kabob place, there was a sign posted but I can't remember the name right now. Hopefully its Middle Eastern style with authentic breads, lamb chops, chick peas, and rice. I'll be there often if so.

The sign on the old Zero's says:

"Kebab Shack

Mediterranean Shawarma

Open Soon"

Have you never been to the Oceanfront? Their parking rates are more than double Downtown Norfolk's rates. For example, let's pretend to park for 3 hours on a weekday: MacArthur South: $1, 31st VB: $6. Lets try parking all day on a Saturday: MacArthur South: $3, 31st VB: $7 You also pay for parking at Town Center. They don't charge you directyl but trust me, you pay for it.

HAHA! Dude Saturday evening two friends and myself were headed to Hell's Kitchen (then other friends met up at it was off to Machismos).

This family stopped us to ask where the Mall is. They were coming from Nauticus/Battleship. Sothern Drawl on behalf of the guy. I explained that it's a block over, just blocked from view by the Dominion Enterprises building. He asked if I knew of any other hotels other than the Sharaton at the waterside that might be a little bit cheaper. I told him the Tazwell is a more independent type place but I have no idea on the pricing. Before I could get to mentioning the Courtyard by Marriott, dude starts asking about the Virginia Beach oceanfront. I told him it's off season, and that I do know that some of the hotels have off season rates that can get cheap, but I'm not sure how far off season we are at this point. He asked if there was fun things that the family could do, and I told him there should still be things open. I know the arcade is open year round, and there are a number of minigolf sites. Family was all excited.

Remember. Downtown Norfolk is a business/restaurant district. Oceanfront is tourism. When I go to the oceanfront I expect to have parking woes and pay money. When I'm trying to go eat a meal I'd rather not have the headache.

And yes, I'm passing up renting an office on Granby Street. Beautiful office, so cheap, because I know the parking woes would help our project fail.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/macarthur-center-add-two-womens-fashion-stores

Aldo is coming back to MacArthur as well as new retailer Charming Charlie. I wonder what is triggering the return of Aldo, they obviously left for a reason a few years back.

That's great that Aldo is coming back...love their shoes. Maybe leasing was a reason why they left...not sure. Its good that MacArthur is still attracting new retailers with the new policies in place. I heard from someone who works in the mall that MacArthur is getting Sephora back in the future and the kids abercrombie store is in the works.

I don't know if anyone has been following this...but I passed a brand new 2 story Dunkin Donuts on Hampton Blvd by ODU and Lamberts Point. I remember hearing about it a long time ago, but I missed all the construction and BOOM, I see a fresh Dunkin!

I think its so awesome what ODU is doing to the dead zone between 41st and 21st. The District Dorms, various restaurants, new housing. I can't wait for ODU to be safe one day!

Edited by mlsimons

What I dont get about that area is that the city is allowing them to build with a setback from the street yet in their planning documents they promote pedestrian developments that front the street. That is quite a big Dunkin Donuts though, I swore it was going to be a bank until they put the sign up.