Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

What I dont get about that area is that the city is allowing them to build with a setback from the street yet in their planning documents they promote pedestrian developments that front the street. That is quite a big Dunkin Donuts though, I swore it was going to be a bank until they put the sign up.

I went to the DD last night. The first floor is the resturant, and the 2nd floor are francise management offices.

It's definately an improvement for the corridor!!!

Jack Quinn's on Granby is reopening. There is a "Grand Reopening Soon" sign out front and tools, ladders, and lights inside. Jack Quinn's was always packed, from what I heard the reason they closed is because the owner had two other restaurants in other cities that didn't do so well so he went bankrupt and closed them all.

Work still seems to be going on inside the 219.

• 4 weeks later...

Jimmy John's coming to downtown Norfolk!

A Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich franchise catering to those who want tasty sandwiches with fresh baked bread, delivered fast, is coming soon to downtown Norfolk.

It will occupy the same building on Granby Street where the former Calvin & Lloyd store on Plume Street sold antiques and other boutique accessories. Calvin & Lloyd now operates on Brooke Street.

Jimmy John's slogans promise speed and gastronomic satisfaction as it delivers party platters and subs as well as box lunches: "You buy. I fly. Freaky, fast delivery. No crowd too big. No hunger too great. No schmancy too fancy."

http://insidebiz.com/news/sandwich-franchise-open-downtown-shop

Jack Quinn's on Granby is reopening. There is a "Grand Reopening Soon" sign out front and tools, ladders, and lights inside. Jack Quinn's was always packed, from what I heard the reason they closed is because the owner had two other restaurants in other cities that didn't do so well so he went bankrupt and closed them all.

Work still seems to be going on inside the 219.

Crap, this is what happens when you don't log in for a while. You think you have a scoop, and it's already old news. I just drove by there, the "For Sale or Lease" signs are down, lights are on, and apparently someone's inside working to get things ready.

Yes, I used to go to Jack quinn's regularly. It was always packed. It was a shock when it closed. Obviously, the owners were trying to keep the Cinci location afloat.

• 4 weeks later...

The Wherehouse Music building in Ward's Corner might become the next AJ Gator's.

http://wardscornerno...ner-restaurant/

Wow when I saw that building was empty, I was sure it would have a "Coming Soon: CVS" sign within a matter of days to round out the other drug stores.

I just wish something would happen with the strip across from there where Eckard and Uncle Louie's was. The other three corners all seem to be fully occupied with businesses. I think the owner of that strip is some greedy old battle-axe who is holding up everything.

I think it is a positive step. Wards Corner needs a couple of new places to spur more interest. Maybe then they can advance their other plans. Although i don't much like their Comprehensive Plan. The side east of the interstate is pretty good. The actual Wards Corner part of it however, seems more like the city just wants a wall so nobody that drives by can see what really sits behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk Restaurant week continues through Sunday but if you don't already have a reservation be prepared to sit at the bar or eat after 9pm... Traffic and parking is absolutely horrible right now with the light rail construction but my meal tonight at 456 Fish was well worth it.

Went to Byrd and Baldwin (need reservations two weeks out for there) on Sunday and it was superb. Went to Big Easy the other night, it was alright. Pecan encrusted catfish was crap, but everything else was delish.

Went to Byrd and Baldwin (need reservations two weeks out for there) on Sunday and it was superb. Went to Big Easy the other night, it was alright. Pecan encrusted catfish was crap, but everything else was delish.

I also did B&B (excellent prime rib) as well as Todd Jurch's and Snappers. Heading out for some old school Hungarian tomorrow night at the Monastery.

I'm getting psyched about Jack Quinn's. Assume they'll be open for St Patrick's Day.

I heard from someone hired as a waitress that Quinns is planning to open this month.

Guadalara's on Granby has a "closed for renovations" sign up. Not sure what the deal with that is yet. Rumour from another restaraunt employee was that they needed to do some major staff cleansing. Hopefully they dont shutter for good, nice place inside.

The hot dog place at Granby/Plume, I see the space but activity has been slow.

Grow Interactive bought a building on Granby

I noticed Guadalajara as well. We went to go there for dinner coming from 757labs (www.757labs.com), and ended up going all the way to Hell's Kitchen. A few of the people had never been to hell.

I like Guadalajara, but miss the Mi Hogar cheap mexican.

Chinese Restaurant near TCC has been visited a bunch by us lately.

YNot Pizza and Italian Cuisine is taking over the former Winehouse location on Colley Ave. in Ghent. I can't imagine it taking too long to get open the sign is already up.

Not quite the same level of establishment as the Winehouse but the VA Beach locations have stayed in business forever so I imagine they will do well in Norfolk.

www.ynotpizza.com

A couple of openings i noticed near the MacArthur Tide stop:

The lawyer's office on the NE corner of Monticello Arcade will be vacant soon. i picked up a flyer inside the arcade announcing the space was available for rent. That could be a nice retail space.

On the other side of the Monticello Arcade entrance, City Line Cafe is empty with a for rent sign already up. No big loss. It was a generic sandwich place, and the sandwiches were pretty bland.

I missed this article when it first cam out.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/taste-unlimited-leave-ghent-buy-bazemores-site

Taste Unlimited is going to close their Colley Avenue store and move a few miles north to the old Bazemore's grocery store on Hampton Blvd. One of the posters says this is a slap in the face to Ghent, but i think Ghent will survive with one less restaurant for the few months it will take for another eatery to move in there.

Downtown%20Gym.JPG

I guess a gym is sort of a retail establishment. The Fitness First Health and Wellness on Tazwell St. should be opening very soon. There is a bit of drama to the story but it seems like the landlord and owner have a deal worked out.

http://www.insidebiz.com/news/after-false-starts-new-gym-norfolk-out-blocks

Fascinating! Them banners have been up forever. I was kind of surprised, given that Gym Downtown is around the corner. Does the food guy want to own all businesses on the street or what?

The lawyer's office on the NE corner of Monticello Arcade will be vacant soon. i picked up a flyer inside the arcade announcing the space was available for rent. That could be a nice retail space.

On the other side of the Monticello Arcade entrance, City Line Cafe is empty with a for rent sign already up. No big loss. It was a generic sandwich place, and the sandwiches were pretty bland.

Interesting. City Line has been gone a few months. The sandwiches I had there were like you said, rubber. I recall the fries being okay. Should go tacos/mexican/cheap or something.

Either that, or some sorta healthy stuff that is cheap. Not sure why more people aren't on the subway bandwagon.

I was eyeballing the fridge in the city line space but I was after one without glass on the sides.

If LRT works as it's supposed to, little restaurants and retail will sprout up around all the downtown stations.

Hmmm. Track is going right in front of the space we're renting. Wonder once it's down how it will affect our lease after it's up for renewal. Heh. It will be nice once the construction is done on Bute!!

Starting to have our first meetings. Embedded systems, software development, maybe some robotics and such.

Overall the space looks much much better. Almost done painting over the yellow.

4363293782_3e2d878a86.jpg

4363293334_5d4d65016f.jpg

(www.757labs.com)