Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

True, but depending on the developing demographic downtown, Granby might be a bit too professional or empty nester for them. I think a location in Ghent would put them closer to their market.

I agree. Anything in the Granby St or Ghent areas would fit well.... maybe some first floor retail for Granby Tower?

As for my willingness to travel for clothing... I'll go far for clothes. There are a few things in this world I will splurge on... that is an education, good food, and nice clothing. How you present yourself is everything in the world today.... so I like to present myself as best I can. :silly: My only loyalties to brands are Abercrombie (yea... hold your comments lol) and if I need dress clothing, Express or S+K (they've been extremely good in the past for clothing I need for school trips or dances etc.).

Bloomie's is a pretty big deal. There are fashionable-ish stores along Rte-17 in York County, but I prefer Norfolk or Virginia Beach, or even Pat Henry, largely for atmosphere. I'd love a Bloomie's in DT Norfolk because, largely, the atmosphere would be something I don't typically get in Tabb or Poquoson. But also, we don't have a Nordstrom's up on the Peninsula... yet... so I don't have those kinds of options up here. And I don't think Dillards and Bloomie's compare. The latter is larger, with a wider, more professional/upscale selection.

If nothing else, Bloomingdale's represents a status symbol for Norfolk that is much-deserved. To get one, you have to have a certain income level of that caliber, which is somewhat higher than the average (not that we don't have people of that income level, because we certainly do). Also, most major department stores have a "minimum requirement" for the size of the area they build at, for instance, I think Hechts limit is 225,000 people in the area per/store. By that number, the Peninsula market could, in theory, not hold another Hechts for a few more years (although they'll be Macys soon). The number for Bloomie's is probably a little larger, maybe 325,000 or something. That also shows the degree of growth for our area. :)

All I'm conerned about is that currently blighted properties either get fixed up or torn down. That block on Granby that is near the bus station has seen better days. All that there is there now is a pawn shop, 2nd rate furniture store, a few other 2nd rate shops, and a gay bar.

What is needed there is a multi use collection of new buildings with HIGH END DEPARTMENT STORE, nice shops, apartments and lofts. Some office space wouldn't hurt either!

All I'm conerned about is that currently blighted properties either get fixed up or torn down. That block on Granby that is near the bus station has seen better days. All that there is there now is a pawn shop, 2nd rate furniture store, a few other 2nd rate shops, and a gay bar.

What is needed there is a multi use collection of new buildings with HIGH END DEPARTMENT STORE, nice shops, apartments and lofts. Some office space wouldn't hurt either!

That block needs some serious help... it's not that bad, but it's a waste of such prime property.

Same here guynvb... but those were the only two I could find that weren't dismissed upon mentioning... :unsure:

Are we sure it's clothing retail, or could it be something like Crate and Barrel? I remember scuttlebut about them coming to downtown a couple of years ago. Or maybe IKEA or Home Expo? Nah, they stick to the biggest markets. My curiosity is piqued. The housing boom downtown might need something like that.

Are we sure it's clothing retail, or could it be something like Crate and Barrel? I remember scuttlebut about them coming to downtown a couple of years ago. Or maybe IKEA or Home Expo? Nah, they stick to the biggest markets. My curiosity is piqued. The housing boom downtown might need something like that.

Crate and Barrel would be cool but then again they may locate elsewhere?? I too doubt Ikea or Home Expo would locate in our smaller market.

crate and barrel would be cool in DT Norfolk.. wish ours was DT instead of out in Suburbia on steroids....

:lol: I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Crate and Barrel (most of my knowledge on the retail front revolves around clothiers). Are they generally constructed in malls? I thought they were generally in urban settings as first-floor retail....

...Now there's an idea... :thumbsup:

:lol: I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Crate and Barrel (most of my knowledge on the retail front revolves around clothiers). Are they generally constructed in malls? I thought they were generally in urban settings as first-floor retail....

...Now there's an idea... :thumbsup:

Crate and Barrel sells housewares. I have only actually been to one and that was in Tyson across or near the mall.

I also like how Crate And Barrels aren't simply bland buildings. They have the modern architectural appeal. I've only been to the one in Tyson's but I know the one is Richmond looks great too!

I've enjoyed my Crate & Barrel experiences too. I've been to the one at Pentagon City and to a couple in Manhattan. I think they'd do well in DT Norfolk.

As for talk of IKEA above, In terms of building design they are the Wal-Mart of furniture stores. I've never seen an urban IKEA in the U.S.

I've enjoyed my Crate & Barrel experiences too. I've been to the one at Pentagon City and to a couple in Manhattan. I think they'd do well in DT Norfolk.

As for talk of IKEA above, In terms of building design they are the Wal-Mart of furniture stores. I've never seen an urban IKEA in the U.S.

Well brace yourself, because there is an urban IKEA on the way in Brooklyn. I looked up the website to see how may are near to us (2 in DC area [Woodridge VA and College Park MD] and one in Baltmore) and on the "coming soon" page it lists Brooklyn, NY. Anywhere in Brooklyn is more urban than Norfolk so I am interested to know how well it goes. Here is a link to a story about it: http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=100191

Having said that, I don't know if our area is big enough to pull in IKEA. They do have one in Pittsburgh (?!) and in Sacramento so I guess that anything is possible.

Well brace yourself, because there is an urban IKEA on the way in Brooklyn. I looked up the website to see how may are near to us (2 in DC area [Woodridge VA and College Park MD] and one in Baltmore) and on the "coming soon" page it lists Brooklyn, NY. Anywhere in Brooklyn is more urban than Norfolk so I am interested to know how well it goes. Here is a link to a story about it: http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=100191

Having said that, I don't know if our area is big enough to pull in IKEA. They do have one in Pittsburgh (?!) and in Sacramento so I guess that anything is possible.

That IKEA is their suburban model thrown onto the Red Hook waterfront. Disgusting. :sick:

The ones in Pittsburgh and Sacramento, again, the suburban model. They're certainly not in downtown areas. A big box IKEA like these would be entirely inappropriate for Downtown Norfolk.

Yeah, these types of stores really belong to the burbs because of the sheer size of the stores and the massive amounts of parking they require. It would be interesting though should they try an urban setting for once, perhaps convert a building to a store while leaving the facade and then build on a parking deck with nice retail on the ground floor.

Parisian.

I, too, wonder whether Parisian would go for a store at Town Center and one in Norfolk. And why not MacArthur if in Norfolk? If it were to go up on Granby and Brambleton, would it be a stand-alone store? When my folks lived in Sarasota, they opened a Parisian there (in a mall), and it was very Nordstrom-like, with a pianist playing a baby grand while you shopped. It only lasted a couple of years before it closed and Dillards took over the building. It was sad. I really liked that store. Sarasota also has the tinyist Saks I've ever seen. It's about the size of one floor of our Nordstrom. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... ;)

Yeah, these types of stores really belong to the burbs because of the sheer size of the stores and the massive amounts of parking they require. It would be interesting though should they try an urban setting for once, perhaps convert a building to a store while leaving the facade and then build on a parking deck with nice retail on the ground floor.

The one in downtown Burbank, CA is sorta urban. It's the normal 2-story warehouse, but parking is across the street in a garage that is also shared by a mall. The garage also incorporates a CompUSA, B&N, AMC 6 screen, CPK, and Chevy's restaurant.

As for Parisian, John, I think you answered your own question. Parisian wants to be like Nordstrom, therefore it will have only one store in the region. Instead of going directly head-to-head, it will open in another hot retail market, that is TC. Who knows, maybe City View can lure Dillard's back to Pembroke with Norfolk getting a Bloomingdale's and a Sak's.