Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Hmmm. Track is going right in front of the space we're renting. Wonder once it's down how it will affect our lease after it's up for renewal. Heh. It will be nice once the construction is done on Bute!!

Starting to have our first meetings. Embedded systems, software development, maybe some robotics and such.

Overall the space looks much much better. Almost done painting over the yellow.

4363293782_3e2d878a86.jpg

4363293334_5d4d65016f.jpg

(www.757labs.com)

Where is this space exactly?

The Kebab Shack on Granby Street has replaced the coming soon banner with an actual lighted sign. I'm anxious for the opening...hopefully its as good as the Pakistani place I go to when I'm in NOVA.

I'm thinking Granby Street will be able to support a few more lunch type restaraunts in the next year as Wells Fargo and The Commodore Maury buildings fill out. Hopefully some of the stingy land lords will realize the advantage of reducing their rent versus letting a place sit empty for 5 years. The small storefront between Kelly's and Velvet Lounge is on the market in the 400k range, a bit much IMO.

Speaking of the Commodore Maury. It has been restored very well, the brick work looks brand new despite being over 100 years old.

The Kebab Shack on Granby Street has replaced the coming soon banner with an actual lighted sign. I'm anxious for the opening...hopefully its as good as the Pakistani place I go to when I'm in NOVA.

I'm thinking Granby Street will be able to support a few more lunch type restaraunts in the next year as Wells Fargo and The Commodore Maury buildings fill out. Hopefully some of the stingy land lords will realize the advantage of reducing their rent versus letting a place sit empty for 5 years. The small storefront between Kelly's and Velvet Lounge is on the market in the 400k range, a bit much IMO.

Speaking of the Commodore Maury. It has been restored very well, the brick work looks brand new despite being over 100 years old.

Let us know when the Kabob Shack opens. I used to go to Moby Dick’s up in NOVA. It was incredible.

I missed this article when it first cam out.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/taste-unlimited-leave-ghent-buy-bazemores-site

Taste Unlimited is going to close their Colley Avenue store and move a few miles north to the old Bazemore's grocery store on Hampton Blvd. One of the posters says this is a slap in the face to Ghent, but i think Ghent will survive with one less restaurant for the few months it will take for another eatery to move in there.

Not a restuarant but a shop. Little to no effect.

Looking on Bing streetside, there seem to be some nice windows on Duke Street that have been covered with concrete, any plans to put the windows back? Seems like a streetscape killer.

No plans to undo that. We're not wealthy. Day job funds the space.

If anything, friends weren't happy with there being windows in the front. (Someone could break in, yadda yadda.)

The Super Kmart on Military Highway in Norfolk will downgrade to a Big Kmart. The grocery section will close, many people will get laid off, and hours will be reduced from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. instead of a 24 hour store. This store also is on Norview Ave, which a lot of visitors see when coming from the airport. This is bad news for Norfolk but a lot of these Kmarts have been run down for years. They even make Wal-Mart look modern and upscale...and that says a lot.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/kmart-close-grocery-lay-workers-military-hwy-store

The Super Kmart on Military Highway in Norfolk will downgrade to a Big Kmart. The grocery section will close, many people will get laid off, and hours will be reduced from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. instead of a 24 hour store. This store also is on Norview Ave, which a lot of visitors see when coming from the airport. This is bad news for Norfolk but a lot of these Kmarts have been run down for years. They even make Wal-Mart look modern and upscale...and that says a lot.

http://hamptonroads....itary-hwy-store

Kmart is not looking good for Norfolk. The Little Creek Road Kmart will eventually close because its new landlord is Wal-Mart, and it has been downgraded lately, with no auto service and the outdoors/garden department is very weak. The addition of Sears items (Craftsman) hasn't helped much.

Demolition has begun on the old strip mall next to Harris Teeter in Ghent. It is nice to have that ugly little suburban style strip mall taken out. I am even more excited to have a brand new Harris Teeter in Ghent instead of the old cramped facility that the current Harris Teeter is using.

Demolition has begun on the old strip mall next to Harris Teeter in Ghent. It is nice to have that ugly little suburban style strip mall taken out. I am even more excited to have a brand new Harris Teeter in Ghent instead of the old cramped facility that the current Harris Teeter is using.

Did anyone ever see the final plan for the new store? They should really incorporate a couple store fronts onto Colonial rather than a cinderblock wall.

Godiva Chocolatier, Champs Sports, and the Washington Redskins store closed at MacArthur Mall sometime recently. Its sad because I really liked the Godiva store and that was the only one in the area. The mall wanted the store to get a 10 year lease and their corporate didn't want that so they closed the store. The store was doing well in sells but its sad how the mall got rid of the store. As far as Champs, there are others at other area malls including Military Circle and Lynnhaven. Now I am not a redskins fan...but it was a good store for the mall to have. That was also the only store in the area. Lynnhaven or the new town center in Hampton will probably get those stores in the future.

Edited by Weaver24

On the topic of shopping malls and such, has anyone visited Military Circle Mall in Norfolk recently? That place is obviously on its death bed. How much longer before someone wakes up and revitalizes it so that it can reach its full potential? In my opinion, the mall has the most prime real estate in all of Hampton Roads. It is centrally located at two of the busiest thoroughfares in Hampton Roads (Va Beach Blvd and Military Hwy), it sits on 264, and is only miles from the Airport. I made the -mistake- of going into the mall yesterday and was disgusted at what I saw. Half of the stores sit dormant, the Double Tree hotel is now closed, the Food Court was not at full capacity, and there was more loiters than actual shoppers. I can think of a million uses of that property that what is actually taking place there now.