Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

On the topic of shopping malls and such, has anyone visited Military Circle Mall in Norfolk recently? That place is obviously on its death bed. How much longer before someone wakes up and revitalizes it so that it can reach its full potential? In my opinion, the mall has the most prime real estate in all of Hampton Roads. It is centrally located at two of the busiest thoroughfares in Hampton Roads (Va Beach Blvd and Military Hwy), it sits on 264, and is only miles from the Airport. I made the -mistake- of going into the mall yesterday and was disgusted at what I saw. Half of the stores sit dormant, the Double Tree hotel is now closed, the Food Court was not at full capacity, and there was more loiters than actual shoppers. I can think of a million uses of that property that what is actually taking place there now.

Hey, new member.

I was in Military Circle like two weekends ago. It's gone downhill. More and more stores are pulling out. I'd love to see a Town-Center like redevelopment.

On the topic of shopping malls and such, has anyone visited Military Circle Mall in Norfolk recently? That place is obviously on its death bed. How much longer before someone wakes up and revitalizes it so that it can reach its full potential? In my opinion, the mall has the most prime real estate in all of Hampton Roads. It is centrally located at two of the busiest thoroughfares in Hampton Roads (Va Beach Blvd and Military Hwy), it sits on 264, and is only miles from the Airport. I made the -mistake- of going into the mall yesterday and was disgusted at what I saw. Half of the stores sit dormant, the Double Tree hotel is now closed, the Food Court was not at full capacity, and there was more loiters than actual shoppers. I can think of a million uses of that property that what is actually taking place there now.

I actually think that a nice, big park would go great there. That area needs a little green space and besides TPP, the city really doesn't have any good or nice parks. JANAF would be a good site for redevelopment, but Military Circle has gotten so dangerous, in addition to run down, that if the park was secured well at night and free of crime, the area could really turn into a beautiful place to relax on a sunny day.

Lindt Chocolate in MacArthur Center also closed.

Did the Jack Quinn's for lunch. Witnessed people asking for menus at the door then turning away over the prices. They aren't doing lunch specials yet, I think it was a bad move to not do them.

Food was good! Portion was perhaps too large, smaller and cheaper would have been good. Odd being in the place again.

Regarding Military Circle Mall. If they put a park there, the park would carry the same reputation that the mall does. That is, it'd be "ghetto."

Maybe they need to surround the mall with $1800/month apartments.

Lindt Chocolate in MacArthur Center also closed.

Did the Jack Quinn's for lunch. Witnessed people asking for menus at the door then turning away over the prices. They aren't doing lunch specials yet, I think it was a bad move to not do them.

Food was good! Portion was perhaps too large, smaller and cheaper would have been good. Odd being in the place again.

Regarding Military Circle Mall. If they put a park there, the park would carry the same reputation that the mall does. That is, it'd be "ghetto."

Maybe they need to surround the mall with $1800/month apartments.

It doesn't seem like the mall has good management. If Lindt Chocolate closed, why would they get rid of the other chocolate store. Now there is no chocolate store in the mall. Those stores stayed packed, especially around Christmas and Valentine's Day.

As far as Military Circle, they should do something like the new town center in Hampton. It is looking pretty good over there.

I actually think that a nice, big park would go great there. That area needs a little green space and besides TPP, the city really doesn't have any good or nice parks. JANAF would be a good site for redevelopment, but Military Circle has gotten so dangerous, in addition to run down, that if the park was secured well at night and free of crime, the area could really turn into a beautiful place to relax on a sunny day.

That is actually not a bad idea. The only reason why I like military circle in any respect is its uniqueness with the attached hotel. I like that concept. They could build a REAL park that fits everyone needs....

Max & Ermas at MacArthur remains in jeopardy of closing, their lease is up, they haven't paid rent in over six months (been on a deferment program) and have worked out a month to month situation while trying to get their rent reduced (currently $33k/mo)

Rumor has a Toby Keith 'I Love This Bar' opening where Rainforest Cafe used to be, now Forever 21, when it moves to it's new two story location where EQ3/Redskins Store and the Hello Kitty store were.

There was another restaurant in MacCenter where California Pizza Kitchen was. They too ran up a huge rent bill, and that's when I first learned how retarded the rents were at MacArthur. I want to say they owed like $550,000 after 6 months of nonpayment.

Two story stores are pretty cool :-)

There was another restaurant in MacCenter where California Pizza Kitchen was. They too ran up a huge rent bill, and that's when I first learned how retarded the rents were at MacArthur. I want to say they owed like $550,000 after 6 months of nonpayment.

Two story stores are pretty cool :-)

Then again, they did charge a ton for food that was not spectacular, went there once and while it was nice did not go back due to cost.

Max and Erma's is kind of Hidden by the stair well, nice place though (and the bathroom has some funny wall painting )

I think the name of the place before California Pizza Kitchen, was Castaldi's Italian restaurant. They had singing waiters and waitresses. I never went there, because the place was a bit pricey. I have gone to Max and Erma's several times, their food is not to bad, but they are kind of hidden towards the back of the mall and I think CPK and Chilli's steal their thunder. I also just cant see a Toby Keith bar at MacArthur, but I could see one at Granby Street or Virginia Beach Town Center.

It's very large given the size of the space under it, and bright. But I assume once it has something over the neon it won't be as bright.

I wasn't sure if it was going to be a country themed bar or a pirate themed bar.

**COMMENT REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR**

Edited by Neo

Hah, you removed my comment because I said it like it was? Debate me but don't censor me. It's true.

Just got back from lunch at Havannas. They raised the prices. $8 for a side of red beans and rice, ain't that the staple food of poor people everywhere? Sheesh.

Didn't use the lunch specials today. If I go back that will be the only way. Food ain't bad but it ain't a steak.

Edited by Telmnstr

Below is the link to the article in today's paper about the many stores closing in MacArthur....Godiva, Lindt Chocolate, Field of Dreams, Washington Redskins Official Store, Champs, Easy Spirit shoe boutique and Pretzel Time, which was next to Ms. Fields Cookies.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/macarthur-center-godiva-closes-along-other-mall-stores

This isn't a good look.

Below is the link to the article in today's paper about the many stores closing in MacArthur....Godiva, Lindt Chocolate, Field of Dreams, Washington Redskins Official Store, Champs, Easy Spirit shoe boutique and Pretzel Time, which was next to Ms. Fields Cookies.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/macarthur-center-godiva-closes-along-other-mall-stores

This isn't a good look.

$35,000 a month in rent, or do you run a website?

Humorous comments. I didn't think chocolate bars were that expensive. It was like $3 or something for one at Lindt.

There is work going on in the 700th block of Granby Street(North of Brambleton) on some retail space that had been mentioned on here before. The rendering on the advertisement out front appears to have new store fronts along Wilson Ave or possibly a makeover over to the existing buildings along Granby. Not completely sure what is going on yet but a slab has been poured on the sliver of property at the corner of Granby and Wilson.

I'd love that part of Granby to under-go a facelift. Granby Tower probably would have helped that.

well, Brambleton is not the easiest traffic to cross across. Instead, the city should concentrate on the area North of Brambleton between Chrysler and Monticello avenue as one concentrated area. plenty of opportunity for redevelopment, just need a bit more security (projects are right nearby).

Hopefully the City of Norfolk can work with Greyhound and move to or near the station for High speed rail at Harbor Park and free up that corner plot.

Edited by ronsmytheiii

well, Brambleton is not the easiest traffic to cross across. Instead, the city should concentrate on the area North of Brambleton between Chrysler and Monticello avenue as one concentrated area. plenty of opportunity for redevelopment, just need a bit more security (projects are right nearby).

Hopefully the City of Norfolk can work with Greyhound and move to or near the station for High speed rail at Harbor Park and free up that corner plot.

I don't want to hear that Brambleton is hard to cross crap. Thats what sidewalks, stoplights, and crosswalks are for.

I don't want to hear that Brambleton is hard to cross crap. Thats what sidewalks, stoplights, and crosswalks are for.

First of all that is just rude

Secondly, no matter if there are sidewalks or cross roads, with the amount of people going straight through Brambleton or are turning from Bousch street. People are afraid of crazy drivers on a massive road stretch (and I dont blame them)

I dont know what your issue is VArider, development takes time and patience, enough with the abrasive attitude.

Edited by ronsmytheiii