Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

First of all that is just rude

Secondly, no matter if there are sidewalks or cross roads, with the amount of people going straight through Brambleton or are turning from Bousch street. People are afraid of crazy drivers on a massive road stretch (and I dont blame them)

I dont know what your issue is VArider, development takes time and patience, enough with the abrasive attitude.

How is that rude? And my "issue," in this situation is that Norfolk allows a three lane road act as a major barrier to development and city's that actually want to and believe that they are cities have major thoroughfares as urban corridors as well. If the traffic is moving too fast and makes people too uncomfortable then drop the speed limit, and use more stop signs, crosswalks, and wide sidewalks. I understand development takes time but uhhh there's no reason for Norfolk to ha such a small downtown. I like what I'm seeing, but we have a LONG way to go to even be classified as a city.

First of all that is just rude

Secondly, no matter if there are sidewalks or cross roads, with the amount of people going straight through Brambleton or are turning from Bousch street. People are afraid of crazy drivers on a massive road stretch (and I dont blame them)

I dont know what your issue is VArider, development takes time and patience, enough with the abrasive attitude.

How is that rude? And my "issue," in this situation is that Norfolk allows a three lane road act as a major barrier to development and city's that actually want to and believe that they are cities have major thoroughfares as urban corridors as well. If the traffic is moving too fast and makes people too uncomfortable then drop the speed limit, and use more stop signs, crosswalks, and wide sidewalks. I understand development takes time but uhhh there's no reason for Norfolk to ha such a small downtown. I like what I'm seeing, but we have a LONG way to go to even be classified as a city.

I believe I read the city is modifying the Boush/Brambleton intersection to be more pedestrian friendly as well as turning Boush into a two way street. Currently its sort of acts like an offramp from Brambleton. This should help make the area more accessible.

More $$ down the drain. How many times are they going to modify that street?

Harrys BBQ / Jazz on Taz back with a sign that says under renovation. Been up for two weeks I think. Failing again?

Saw people sniffing around the empty jewelery place on the 1st floor of City Center (used to by Nygards.)

I thought a hot dog place was supposed to be moving in on Granby, but not that much renovation going on. Al's is win, anyways.

Kabob place never seems to be open (it's where Zero's was).

Kebab Shack hasn't opened yet. Still renovating, i guess. Harry's BBQ actually looks decent. For years, the empty storefront looked filthy.

On Plume St., where Blue Plate Diner was, there is a 'coming soon' sign for a 3way Diner. Do we have to wait until a place opens before we can make fun of the name? tongue.gif

Also Norfolk Florist has opened a shop on Granby in the 200 block. These little groups of store fronts seem to come and go quite often. With some of these smaller shops and restaurants coming in I am assuming(and hoping) the landlords have finally realized their rents were too high.

Here is a cell phone picture of the new retail in the 700th block of Granby. From looking at the small slab it seems like the door would probably be on Wilson Ave rather than Granby.

newcom.jpg

Edited by mikeas

Yeah, I just saw that Norfolk Florist opened on the DNC's twitter..

That's a decent addition to Granby. I'd love to see a Granby Street with no vacancies. We are on the right track. Kabab Shack, Bootleggers, Jimmy John's , Details, Norfolk Florist, the 219, Jack Quinn's etc. all within the last couple months.

Edited by varider

Oh yea, forgot to mention, someone is moving in where the Blue Plate used to be. Signs of demo work.

Also that old Heritage Bank building that was bought and is being turned into a night club (IIRC).

It's still funny how !!!tty all the venues are around here.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, someone is moving in where the Blue Plate used to be. Signs of demo work.

Yep, it's going to the the 3way Cafe.

Kebab Shack was open when i passed by 3:30 on Thursday. There are takeout menus in a basket outside the restaurant. Almost everything under $10.

Yep, it's going to the the 3way Cafe.

Kebab Shack was open when i passed by 3:30 on Thursday. There are takeout menus in a basket outside the restaurant. Almost everything under $10.

Good, I really want to try the Kabab Shack. & what street is the 3way cafe? My instinct tells me Plume.. but I may be wrong.

Oh, and umm why are they building a strip mall?

Edited by varider

I saw the sign for the 3way cafe, ha. That's two new restaurants on Plume, almost right next to each other. Also, from what i can telll the 219 space is about to re-open, like soon.

New restaurant??

THE VINEYARDS TRATTORIA AND PIZZERIA BY MERLIN CALERO, for a Special Exception to operate an Eating and Drinking Establishment on property fronting 30 feet, more or less, along the western line of Granby Street, beginning 70 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Plume Street and extending northwardly; premises numbered 147 Granby Street.

Edited by varider

I saw the sign for the 3way cafe, ha. That's two new restaurants on Plume, almost right next to each other. Also, from what i can telll the 219 space is about to re-open, like soon.

New restaurant??

THE VINEYARDS TRATTORIA AND PIZZERIA BY MERLIN CALERO, for a Special Exception to operate an Eating and Drinking Establishment on property fronting 30 feet, more or less, along the western line of Granby Street, beginning 70 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Plume Street and extending northwardly; premises numbered 147 Granby Street.

219 will be called the 219 (as in 2-nineteen, not 2-1-9) American Bistro and will have outdoor seating...also, Bodega's (under the same ownership group) will be adding on an outdoor deck on the side of their restaurant. I realize the sidewalks on Granby aren't very wide but we really need some outdoor seating at these restaurants, even if just to liven the street up.

I believe The Vineyards bought out IL Colosseo. The business was for sale for a very long time.

Was that the Italian place or whatever? They had a sign out offering discounts to specific businesses around there, but only the large ones. Turned me off.

There were like Sheriff's notices on the door and such.

219 will be called the 219 (as in 2-nineteen, not 2-1-9) American Bistro and will have outdoor seating...also, Bodega's (under the same ownership group) will be adding on an outdoor deck on the side of their restaurant. I realize the sidewalks on Granby aren't very wide but we really need some outdoor seating at these restaurants, even if just to liven the street up.

Yea. The good life is eating outside on a nice day. Granby Bistro or Granby Pizza. It was fun when I had coworkers and we'd go down there.

It was also fun chilling at Gustos watching the Bible guy with the huge protest sign in front of TCC.

Here is an article about one of Curt Andersons other places in VA Beach. They cater to an upscale crowd but with urban music.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/chillin-club

His father is a Baltimore TV anchor-turned-member of Maryland’s House of Delegates, his mother a dentist, his sister a popular model. After school Anderson worked in marketing at Bank of America and started a group, Coalition of Young Black Professionals, that aimed to offer support to that demographic and perform community outreach.

It is funny that they seemed to copy www.park14.com but not even close :)) Do you need a new website let me know, trust me you won't get a replica :))

I just took a picture of that banner for the palace on plume yesterday. Thought I was gonna be all new :-) Guess not.

www.thepalaceonplume.com

Who's behind it?

Also, 3 way cafe. That name is kind of... funny!