Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I was looking forward towards the Wells Fargo retail but being that Norfolk is Norfolk...I am not going to get my hopes too high considering how things are fairing in Waterside and MacArthur Center (numerous recent closings). I think (new for Norfolk) national chains like Jason's Deli, Five Guys, Firehouse Subs, Bonefish Grill, Chipotle, etc. would be good. Look at the good job Hampton's Peninsula Town Center did with attracting chains that are outside the area like BD Mongolian Grill, Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant, etc. Norfolk could follow suit. Oh and a lot of people I know would like a Chick-fil-A downtown or in MacArthur Center instead of what they have in there now.

As far as the basic fast food chains (McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendy's, and Subway)...Norfolk has those...it is just missing the better chains that Va Beach and Chesapeake have like Chipotle, Fazoli's, Firehouse Subs, Five Guys, etc.

I really think the city has three areas that have a lot of potential for popular national retail mixed in with some local but the city isn't acting on it. Wards Corner/Southern Shopping Center, Military Highway/JANAF/Military Circle, and Hampton Blvd/ODU are some areas that come to mind. That Wal-Mart across from Southern Shopping Center is doing well and exceeded their expectations so much that they built Virginia's first Wal-Mart Neighboorhood Market on Little Creek Road. There is potential in Norfolk to bring more businesses in to increase our revenue but the city isn't working hard on marketing the city to attract these businesses. Military Highway has so much traffic but there are areas on it that are underutilized....and lets not get started on that shopping center in Wards Corner (north Granby/east Little Creek) that is mostly vacant.

My belief is, we do not attract chains because the rents are too high. Especially considering you can get the same draw on either side of the water that is not located in Norfolk. Some people do build and relocate for atmosphere, some do not care, only interested in the bottom line. Thus, they do well in these suburban cities and have no real reason to come to DT. These town centers are taking over, largely in part (IMO) because they were able to do it from scratch and did not have to inherit cost, strucutal, and space issues like DT has. Our city leaders have no idea how to build an economy here. They are just simply playing off what has always been here. They have given people land, tax free and without results. They have underbuilt in a LOT of cases, hell they still thinking about what they should do with SPQ and waterside. WATERSIDE of all places which is very different from any thing else we have talked about on this forum. This is a piece of land they ACTUALLY own. They aren't buying the land and letting crap developers build crap, no, this is owned by the city of Norfolk, EVERY SINGLE PART of it. If that is any indication (in my obama voice) the tone used in building a local economy around here, we can be assured we have little to look forward to.

Not sure if this was posted or not. 219 looks about done, actually looks sexy.......not sure if its open yet. I seen a new sign go up where I believe "Poshe" (sp?) use to be called bootleggers....

Yea 219 looks finished. I was walking in front of some older folks that were talking to each other "Hmmm I thought that place closed." New owner went all out on the place, replaced all the windows + frames and such. I think it's supposed to be Americana.

Bootleggers sign is up, but so is paper over the windows.

3way cafe (huh huh) has quite a bit of activity, as does Palace on Plume.

Wonder what the average turnover for restaurants on Granby is.

Yea 219 looks finished. I was walking in front of some older folks that were talking to each other "Hmmm I thought that place closed." New owner went all out on the place, replaced all the windows + frames and such. I think it's supposed to be Americana.

Bootleggers sign is up, but so is paper over the windows.

3way cafe (huh huh) has quite a bit of activity, as does Palace on Plume.

Wonder what the average turnover for restaurants on Granby is.

Only about 40% of restaurants survive longer than 3 years anyway.

I know they have been painting and decorating inside Bootleggers. They are probably fighting with the city about the sign they put up. I doubt the city is happy with that as its not conservative enough for them.

EPIC amounts of drama over Palace on Plume. Looks like the guy behind it has a prior conviction of getting busted with 9 kilos of coke and a gat loaded with cop killers. He's not allowed to have an ABC license, so is doing some of the paperwork under another guys name, who happens to work for the city. Also, another city official (Burfoot) seems in on it. Right after they shut down every competitive venue around.

Crazy stuff.

City of Norfolk judge helped squelch this website which was critical. This is the cache. It will only last a day or two:

http://tinyurl.com/2doupjf

It may be politically motivated.

EPIC amounts of drama over Palace on Plume. Looks like the guy behind it has a prior conviction of getting busted with 9 kilos of coke and a gat loaded with cop killers. He's not allowed to have an ABC license, so is doing some of the paperwork under another guys name, who happens to work for the city. Also, another city official (Burfoot) seems in on it. Right after they shut down every competitive venue around.

Crazy stuff.

City of Norfolk judge helped squelch this website which was critical. This is the cache. It will only last a day or two:

http://tinyurl.com/2doupjf

It may be politically motivated.

sounds like a judge didn't do his job in the past, 9 kilos of coke... how old is this dude exactly? He should still be in jail I guess.

But apparently he is out, he served his time, how do we expect this criminals to turn over a new life if we keep them from having legit businesses/jobs. Not saying all this is right, just making a point of it all.

sounds like a judge didn't do his job in the past, 9 kilos of coke... how old is this dude exactly? He should still be in jail I guess.

But apparently he is out, he served his time, how do we expect this criminals to turn over a new life if we keep them from having legit businesses/jobs. Not saying all this is right, just making a point of it all.

Eh, having businesses founded on the pillars of underground illegal activity and having council members participate in illegal anti-competitive activity doesn't make a great city.

I can see why companies will avoid moving their business to Norfolk.

Eh, having businesses founded on the pillars of underground illegal activity and having council members participate in illegal anti-competitive activity doesn't make a great city.

I can see why companies will avoid moving their business to Norfolk.

Guess you have a point, lol

I haven't been downtown afterddark during the week in awhile but everywhere was busy and there was a lot of foot traffic on Granby. Was an event going on or is this the norm now?

I'm not sure if there was anything happening special downtown tonight, but every time I'm down there after the sun goes down it's always busy.

Yea there is foot traffic due to people going out to eat. Once summer is in full swing you will probably see a decent amount of people on Granby, even at 1AM-2AM (bar crowd.)

Also seen some people sniffing around the space formerly David Nygard Jewelery (City Hall Ave.)

My belief is, we do not attract chains because the rents are too high. Especially considering you can get the same draw on either side of the water that is not located in Norfolk. Some people do build and relocate for atmosphere, some do not care, only interested in the bottom line. Thus, they do well in these suburban cities and have no real reason to come to DT. These town centers are taking over, largely in part (IMO) because they were able to do it from scratch and did not have to inherit cost, strucutal, and space issues like DT has. Our city leaders have no idea how to build an economy here. They are just simply playing off what has always been here. They have given people land, tax free and without results. They have underbuilt in a LOT of cases, hell they still thinking about what they should do with SPQ and waterside. WATERSIDE of all places which is very different from any thing else we have talked about on this forum. This is a piece of land they ACTUALLY own. They aren't buying the land and letting crap developers build crap, no, this is owned by the city of Norfolk, EVERY SINGLE PART of it. If that is any indication (in my obama voice) the tone used in building a local economy around here, we can be assured we have little to look forward to.

So.. are downtown rents higher then Town Center rents? Why is VBTC able to attract PF Chang's, McCormick and Shmick's, Ruth Chris, Bravo's, etc.? DT Norfolk is more densely populated, has more employees, has tens of thousands of college/ high school students, arts venues, etc.

So.. are downtown rents higher then Town Center rents? Why is VBTC able to attract PF Chang's, McCormick and Shmick's, Ruth Chris, Bravo's, etc.? DT Norfolk is more densely populated, has more employees, has tens of thousands of college/ high school students, arts venues, etc.

Dense areas and all that doesn't matter when they come to you. Establishments like that are in the business of making money, location is only part of the equation, and means nothing when they come to you. They could stick a PF chang in Franklin, and if people drive to get their food, they would not care. Remember, we are still car centric here, foot traffic means but so much.

What's up with Guadalajara on Granby? Looks dead, yo.

From what I heard the lease was up and the landlord tried to increase the rent. What is odd though is that I have seen the Ooka Sushi place for rent on craigslist in the past couple of weeks but not Guadalajara's despite the fact they closed at the same time and are in the same building.

From what I heard the lease was up and the landlord tried to increase the rent. What is odd though is that I have seen the Ooka Sushi place for rent on craigslist in the past couple of weeks but not Guadalajara's despite the fact they closed at the same time and are in the same building.

Guad's closed temporarily due to renovations. Their changing everything on the inside and I believe they're expanding into the Ooka Sushi place. They're trying to get ready for the summer.

Guad's closed temporarily due to renovations. Their changing everything on the inside and I believe they're expanding into the Ooka Sushi place. They're trying to get ready for the summer.

What is your source on that? Are they actually working on the inside? The place didn't seem like it needed any renovations, it was already pretty trendy.

Nothing inside looked touched, and there was a bunch of dirt and leaves in the front door.

It looked dead.

219 closed for renovations when it closed, too.

Same thing with Harry's BBQ/Jaz on the Taz.

It's kind of sad seeing local businesses for sale on Craigs. I've seen the Freemason book store up there a few times as well as some others.

What is your source on that? Are they actually working on the inside? The place didn't seem like it needed any renovations, it was already pretty trendy.

Heard that a while ago from someone who bartended there. Yeah it was pretty trendy but I think the renovations were geared toward the expansion into the place next door. For a while there was a closed for renovations sign up too. Who knows...things may have changed tough.

I had heard from the manager of a nearby establishment that the problem was lease negotiations but it could have been rumors as well. The Ooka place was up on craigslist about a week ago but the listings have been deleted by the poster so maybe someone is taking over that spot.

I picked up a menu for the Vineyards and the lunch prices seem very reasonable. Dinner wasn't extreme, maybe a dollar or two more than Olive Garden per entree.

Ooka was the Sushi place down by Guads that was never busy. I wouldn't try to compete with Domo anyway, they are awesome.