Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Interesting.

Bean There coffee shop is opening up where David Nygard used to be in City Center (right near new light rail station.)

And the rumor is, they are building condos on top of the taphouse. LOL.

That's good news. We're going to see a lot more of this happening around our LRT stations..

Interesting.

Bean There coffee shop is opening up where David Nygard used to be in City Center (right near new light rail station.)

And the rumor is, they are building condos on top of the taphouse. LOL.

There are a lot of restaraunt transactions going on in downtown lately. Are rents coming down or what? There really aren't a lot of available ground level spaces, at least until the rest of Wells Fargo is done.

From what I had heard the taphouse was just adding an apartment upstairs.

There are a lot of restaraunt transactions going on in downtown lately. Are rents coming down or what? There really aren't a lot of available ground level spaces, at least until the rest of Wells Fargo is done.

From what I had heard the taphouse was just adding an apartment upstairs.

There are plenty.. especially on Granby.

Well guys.. I went to 456 Fish last night.. I had Fried Shrimp with Broccoli ($26).. It was the best shrimp that I've ever tasted.. a "record" previously held by Virginia Beah Town Center's own McCormick & Shicks. I'd definitely go there again.. only thing, I felt a little out of place because I went in there with cargo shorts and a t-shirt, while everyone around me was dressed up.. but oh well. Also, I had no idea DT restaurants were soo... booming? Freemason Abbey wasn't accepting anyone without reservations and 456 Fish filled up quickly after I sat down..

As a side note..

What will it take to get a Granby Street like this once again..

g7Norfolk1950s.jpg

Also, I've been noticing a lot of new restaurans that I've never seen before.. and Backstage Bar or whatever looks cool from the outside and that green Kelly's Tavern thing is gone.

& Here's the Brickhouse Diner you guys were talking about..

31691_129769773704437_100000142451354_372802_3496956_n.jpg

Here's the logo from the Richmond one...

longlogo.jpg

Also, the 3way cafe opens up tomorrow, according to their facebook page.

Edited by varider

Hey Varider buddy, you have to remember, the difference between that time period in the picture and now is the diversity in the cities population. I remember when V Beach was half what it is now and parts of Chesapeake had no development! My point is with all the malls and Town Center booms locally theres a slim chance downtown will ever look as it did back in the day again. The eateries seem to be the main draws for locals and most who go downtown are Norfolk residents unless theres a special event or those who work there or attend Tidewater Community College. Im like you Varider, I LOVE the way Norfolk use to be and how I use to shop for shoes on Granby Street when I was in school(years ago)!

Norfolk must now look to its future because it has allowed so much about what was great about it to die. The good thing is light rail and all the newer developments in the city will help it become great for the next generation. Im sure the city sees the need for diversification in its local ecinomy. Now, Norfolk is moving toward bettering itself and those pictures of a lively Granby are just a distant memory when people use to go downtown to shop. When I was a kid there was no Chesapeak Square and NO MacArthur Center. We have like a mall in every city besides Portsmouth/Suffolk(Hampton replaced its mall with a Town Center)! So many places to shop and the X-Factor, The Internet.

Times have changed and downtown was a need unlike today. If people need things downtown isnt a place we have to go. And most suburb living families like the outskirts compared to the inner city, just different time and place. I love Granby and Ghent and Colley Ave.I LOVE the city feel of Harbor Heights and the other developments in Norfolk. Sad thing is, most of todays people love there backyards and country clubs on golf courses,etc.!!!shades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Had 3ware.. ugh. 3 way cafe last week or the week before, it was pretty good.

Bean There coffee is now open. Coworkers like the tea they got.

Dude from Jack Quinns is always on the street. Pushing hard for delivery and lunch and stuff. I kind of feel bad for them. Is everything okay?

For once I've been basically not spending any money on eating out. Cutting waaaay back. So I generally walk home or to the hackerspace for lunch. Guess I should bring it, but I feel the need to go outside.

• 3 weeks later...

From the City planning commision agenda:

A new restaraunt for Ghent: Isla Caribe at 328 W. 20th Street.

Also CVS is planning a store at 3200 Lafayette Boulevard, I would have rather had one at the corner of Monticello and Freemason myself.

The 3200 block of Lafayette Blvd is @ the intersection with Cromwell Dr. Currently a building materials business is located there. I would think that CVS would be better to take over the vacant former Eckerd building @ the Lafayette / Tidewater intersection about a mile and a half away!!

Five Guys has a coming soon sign up at the corner of Llewellyn and 21st Street in the 201 Twenty One development. This will be the second Norfolk location for Five Guys however the other location is inside the Naval Station complex so it is essentially closed to the public.

Five Guys has a coming soon sign up at the corner of Llewellyn and 21st Street in the 201 Twenty One development. This will be the second Norfolk location for Five Guys however the other location is inside the Naval Station complex so it is essentially closed to the public.

That is awesome.

Sweet. Love their burgers and spicy fries.

*drooooooooool*

• 2 weeks later...

Wish five guys was coming to downtown Norfolk (Granby!)

Guadalajara reopening will be good. We noticed the dumpster out front yesterday. We figured it was either being remodeled or going away.

Not sure if the dumpster is for the Sushi place or Guadalajara. There was an article in the paper about a week ago interviewing the owner of Guadalajara and he guaranteed that they will reopen. He said they were waiting until the end of summer as the downtown market is slow those months.

Not sure if the dumpster is for the Sushi place or Guadalajara. There was an article in the paper about a week ago interviewing the owner of Guadalajara and he guaranteed that they will reopen. He said they were waiting until the end of summer as the downtown market is slow those months.

The strength of the market doesn't really matter when your doors are locked :-)

I thought it was a dispute over rental rates. That part didn't make the article. Perhaps handshake was reached.

Coming soon to Monarch Way near ODU:

Mojo Bones opens their 2nd location where Boar's Nest used to be. Barbecue, bourbon, and bands!

A personal favorite, Raising Cane's chicken fingers, is now hiring for their first location in Hampton Roads, and only their 2nd restaurant in Virginia. They have the most addictive dipping sauce ever!

• 3 weeks later...

A long vacant space in Ghent at the corner of 21st and Colley has signage up for Yum Cupcakes. The building which was previously an auto shop also houses a verizon wireless store.

Now Ghent residents will be able to enjoy a cupcake after they pick over the dozen or so places offering ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt.