Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/cupcakes-roll-norfolk

It appears the cupcakery opening in Ghent is actually a new location for the Carolina Cupcakery which was a runner up in the selection process of the popular DC Cupcakes show on TLC. If they were already in Ghent they would have had a better chance... Not many reality shows take place in shopping center parking lots!

Also Just Cupcakes is looking to expand into the downtown market in the near futur, they are currently offering products at a Kiosk in MacArthur center and at Bean There Coffee Cafe.

Unrelated tidbit. Take a look next to the register at any Starbucks and you will find Dr. Lucy's Cookies. The Norfolk born company has cookies available in about 6000 Starbucks across the country.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/local-cookie-company-whips-big-deal-starbucks

• 2 weeks later...

The School of Rock on Boush St. is open for business.

Subway in the 201 Twenty One development has signage up and looks to be opening soon.

A 2700 square foot restaurant will occupy some of the new retail at Wells Fargo Center. No name was released yet, I'm thinking some type of national franchise at that square footage.

The School of Rock on Boush St. is open for business.

Subway in the 201 Twenty One development has signage up and looks to be opening soon.

A 2700 square foot restaurant will occupy some of the new retail at Wells Fargo Center. No name was released yet, I'm thinking some type of national franchise at that square footage.

Hopefully a Buffalo Wild Wings....

Their food sucks! The environment is awesome....I would rather see a Wild wings like the one by Walmart on battlefield blvd

Buffalo Wild Wings is awesome! I can't speak for their burgers or bbq, but their wings (traditional and boneless) are fantastic!

That said, I'd like to see a Wild Wing Cafe as well, the one out in Chesapeake is too far away.

• 4 weeks later...

Military Circle has outlived its usefulness IMO. The big renovation they tried in the mid-90s worked for a few years, but to be quite honest, Military Circle has had crime issues going on for nearly 20 years, which has probably pushed people away. I'm not so sure the drop in business is coincidence as much as the mall just has that rep., esp. when MacArthur is only a 5-minute drive down 264.

I think a Town Center molded after the one in Hampton would be a great idea. Although JANAF underwent extensive renovations across the street, an upgrade wouldn't hurt so the two could compliment each other. Like with Coliseum, I would keep some of the stores, i.e. Sears, JCPenney, the movie theather, and the former hotel, and make a way to build around those, and maybe set up a nice courtyard like the VBTC.

Jimmy Johns Downtown location at the corner of Granby and Plume is open and packed... I've been waiting for this as the next closest locations were in Virginia Beach Town Center and the Greenbriar area of Chesapeake.

Several cafe's and bistros are in the works for the Ghent and Freemason districts as well. Two I will speak of at this point are:

CURE, a coffee cafe and deli, is planning to open in Freemason in early January. They will specialize in fresh high quality coffee beverages, cured meats, salads, and regional beer and wine with an emphasis on local ingredients and produce.

A high end coffee shop is also planning to open in Ghent. Unsure of the name at this point but they are to roast their own beans on site. It will be very near Cogans Pizza on Colonial Ave.

Jimmy Johns Downtown location at the corner of Granby and Plume is open and packed... I've been waiting for this as the next closest locations were in Virginia Beach Town Center and the Greenbriar area of Chesapeake.

Several cafe's and bistros are in the works for the Ghent and Freemason districts as well. Two I will speak of at this point are:

CURE, a coffee cafe and deli, is planning to open in Freemason in early January. They will specialize in fresh high quality coffee beverages, cured meats, salads, and regional beer and wine with an emphasis on local ingredients and produce.

A high end coffee shop is also planning to open in Ghent. Unsure of the name at this point but they are to roast their own beans on site. It will be very near Cogans Pizza on Colonial Ave.

That is sad that Jimmy Johns is packed because their food is just gross...I go out of my way to avoid them whenever I am in Chicago...but the rest of the news all sounds really cool. :thumbsup:

That is sad that Jimmy Johns is packed because their food is just gross...I go out of my way to avoid them whenever I am in Chicago...but the rest of the news all sounds really cool. :thumbsup:

Blasphemy! Speaking from the perspective of a college student, Jimmy Johns is great and freaky fast and definitely good to eat when there's nothing else open/good.