Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Who knows, maybe City View can lure Dillard's back to Pembroke with Norfolk getting a Bloomingdale's and a Sak's.

I want to make note that there is NO such deal to have Bloomingdales and/or Saks 5th Ave Downtown. Again, they both have strong interest and negotiations are ongoing though it doesn't guarantee their arrival. According to former MacArthur Center manager Ed Ladd, they are in fierce competition with more than half a dozen potential anchor department stores. Due to the competition and better than expected success of the mall, Ladd has mentioned several times that there is NO rush to bring a third anchor. It will come "when we are ready".

Having said that, potential Downtown retail developments at two major areas in Downtown are pending that could house large-scale and high-end retail. Just pray that the deals are made successful.

So perhaps we could expect a major retailer at MacArthur and another to locate elsewhere in the city?

As way of a postscript and kind of off topic but some employers may look at retail in an area when deciding if they wish to locate there. Having high end retail might even draw some attention to Norfolk in that way.

Edited by guynvb

• 1 month later...

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but this article has a lot of news about new restaurants on Granby plus some tidbits on related development.

The Changing Food Face of Norfolk's Granby Street

I'm so glad that people are so interested in Granby St. I can't wait to see what happens when alot of the high rise projects are done to see what other rest. and clubs open up!

I'm so glad that people are so interested in Granby St. I can't wait to see what happens when alot of the high rise projects are done to see what other rest. and clubs open up!

This type of continued good news is really interesting. Those considering additional retail and restaurants for Granby and downtown obviously know that places like 388 Boush, Harbor Heights, Granby Tower and other smaller condo and loft projects are about to add about 1500 or so new residents to downtown. Plus, they know that there will be significant impact from the completion of the Trader Tower and even the hoped for Hilton/convention center. There are a limited number of downtown locations for retail and restaurants. Some will jump in a little too soon in fear of getting left out, and some will be left out because they were too cautious. It seems clear that in 2-3 years Norfolk and Granby St. will have reached the proverbial next level, with more levels to come as downtown expands into the downtown plaza area, north of Brambleton, and west to the Fort Norfolk area. It is amazing to take the occassional snapshot along the way, and almost unimaginable what "Downtown Norfolk" might become in the next 5-10 years.

All of this develoment will truly keep the momentum of downtown norfolk going....we need to see the retail component now catch up, both the street level, and at Macarthur center. The mall is now seven years old, and no longer the "new mall"... Norfolk needs to make sure that the retail mix there stays stable and improves a bit more to keep people like myself from the Peninsula coming there. I was impressed that this holiday season the mall seemed very busy, moreso than last year. Hopefully they can keep their existing retail mix, add a few more "exclusive" ones, and in a couple of years have a third anchor, which I feel is needed. The "big box" bookstore can go somewhere else in DT Norfolk

All of this develoment will truly keep the momentum of downtown norfolk going....we need to see the retail component now catch up, both the street level, and at Macarthur center. The mall is now seven years old, and no longer the "new mall"... Norfolk needs to make sure that the retail mix there stays stable and improves a bit more to keep people like myself from the Peninsula coming there. I was impressed that this holiday season the mall seemed very busy, moreso than last year. Hopefully they can keep their existing retail mix, add a few more "exclusive" ones, and in a couple of years have a third anchor, which I feel is needed. The "big box" bookstore can go somewhere else in DT Norfolk

California Pizza Kitchen will be opening any day now at MacArthur.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Altschul's may be leaving but it looks like Apple could be coming!

I know there have been a lot of rumors for an Apple store to come to MacArthur for over a year now and this news all but confirms that now.

[url=http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=98876&ran=125692]"Apple retail stores by state lists

Still have not heard back from the city about retail DT. I guess we will just have to wait. I would surely think some of the upper end retail will be going into the bottom floors of new construction that is coming online. With Norfolk's vision for DT I have to think there is a plan in place for this.

Still have not heard back from the city about retail DT. I guess we will just have to wait. I would surely think some of the upper end retail will be going into the bottom floors of new construction that is coming online. With Norfolk's vision for DT I have to think there is a plan in place for this.

Well with the way they keep a tight lip I imagine you won't hear anything until its almost ready to open up

YAY for Norfolk! So much for that Lynnhaven Theory...

Well it's official that the Mac Store should be opening soon. They are posting "help wanted" ads on craigslist for their MacArthur Center store. Did we ever find out where it will go exactly?

Look at this link and scroll to February 2nd... Apple Jobs aplenty :)

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/jjj/

Well it's official that the Mac Store should be opening soon. They are posting "help wanted" ads on craigslist for their MacArthur Center store. Did we ever find out where it will go exactly?

I posted the news article regarding the job postings a few days ago on the previous page of this thread. You can click below to check it out if you missed it...

MacArthur Center Mall listed in Apple Store Job Listings

That does it for sure. An Apple store we hope to soon have. :yahoo:

I think I remember reading about an upsacle grocery store going in at the bottom of one of the condo towers? Is this true?