Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I saw the other thread after I posted my question here. It sucks really. I live within walking distance from there and went there twice a week at least to get some groceries or a bite to eat. Now I have to drive to even get milk. But the news clip was right. How many times will Norfolk tear up Boush right in front of the Market? What about developing the Mission? How about Harbor Heights lowering their prices?

Union Mission's being converted into an apartment building. They're gonna go for about $800, which is pretty reasonable for DT Norfolk. They need to offer more places like that, not $1300 1 BR apartments like in the Wells Fargo building.

I agree on Harbor Heights and the other places like that. I was looking over some of the condos in DT, and couldn't believe stuff like The Rotunda is going for $300K and up. That's insane!

The new Raising Cane's opened in the ODU Village a few days ago. Good chicken fingers, and the secret dipping sauce is awesome! It's on Monarch Way just a block behind the McDonalds on Hampton Blvd. Next door to it is the POD Market, which is essentially a convenience store for ODU students, because it takes the ODU meal plan. It has a deli, some fresh fruits and veggies, and even has sushi! But no beer or cigs, which is VERY odd for a convenience store near a college campus.

The new Raising Cane's opened in the ODU Village a few days ago. Good chicken fingers, and the secret dipping sauce is awesome! It's on Monarch Way just a block behind the McDonalds on Hampton Blvd. Next door to it is the POD Market, which is essentially a convenience store for ODU students, because it takes the ODU meal plan. It has a deli, some fresh fruits and veggies, and even has sushi! But no beer or cigs, which is VERY odd for a convenience store near a college campus.

fingers are good

but too small

i work in the building directly across the street.

POD is definitely a CONVENIENCE STORE..box of cheerios: 6 bucks...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.insidebiz.com/news/two-new-stores-will-help-fill-vacuum

"With the closing of The Market at Harbor Heights, many downtown Norfolk residents will find themselves hopping into their cars to get many of their groceries - but they will still be able to walk to get some essentials, a cup of coffee, a sandwich or a beer.

A new, small grocery is slated to open on Feb. 1 at the corner of Bute and Botetourt streets in the Freemason Historic District.

The Shady Grove Marketplace will sell household items, as well as food, such as Boar's Head deli meats, and beer and wine."- insidebiz.com

MacArthur Center getting two new stores (well one isn't new...its coming back)....White House/Black Market and Teavana. This is good news and I been to Teavana in Charlotte back in 2008 and their tea is high but WONDERFUL! I hope they stay here.

http://hamptonroads....um-coming-april

Macarthur used to have a White House/Black Market though.......

Macarthur used to have a White House/Black Market though.......

Yeah but they are coming back and thats a good thing considering since they are a pretty upscale women's store and don't have another one in this area. That kinda makes the mall seem like its making money and still able to attract top and desireable retailers. Its kinda weird how a couple of other stores left MacArthur then came back. Maybe the mall negotiated a more reasonable lease to them.

Edited by Weaver24

I live in the Botetourt across the street from the Cure and Shady Grove Market. This will be a great addition to the neighborhood, especially since The Market closed. I now have a quick place to get milk, small food items, or a coffee or tea at the Cure before I head out in the morning. I just hope the residents in the neighborhood support these two businesses.

I noticed that bootleggers are out of here. They have packed up and left.....No country music for DT.

They never had much business... I drank a beer or two there and they were fairly expensive without a whole lot of reason. I think downtown needs a hole in the wall bar that is affordable and desirable for blue collar types.

• 2 weeks later...

Zeppelin14 - howdy neighbor!

Did bootleggers change hands? The window paint says Pure. Some guy named Tom Arney owned Bootleggers, along with taking ownership of Havana's. He also bought what was Club 7s and the talk was of turning it into whatever passes as a strip club in VA. The windows were tinted but since then it's pretty much been dead. Now it has a for sale sign on it. I wonder. I was thinking if you wanted to get an alcohol license, come up with a club that city leaders wouldn't whine about and that wouldn't threaten their personal off to the side interests, then switch over after you get the permit.

If I had money I have a ton of ideas for various venues. I wonder if something like DNA Lounge would survive in Hampton Roads? It's a techie founded place that has live music (and a proper live music setup unlike all of the local venues.) The one thing they have that we don't is .com millions to fund stuff like that.

Edited by Telmnstr

Zeppelin14 - howdy neighbor!

Did bootleggers change hands? The window paint says Pure. Some guy named Tom Arney owned Bootleggers, along with taking ownership of Havana's. He also bought what was Club 7s and the talk was of turning it into whatever passes as a strip club in VA. The windows were tinted but since then it's pretty much been dead. Now it has a for sale sign on it. I wonder. I was thinking if you wanted to get an alcohol license, come up with a club that city leaders wouldn't whine about and that wouldn't threaten their personal off to the side interests, then switch over after you get the permit.

If I had money I have a ton of ideas for various venues. I wonder if something like DNA Lounge would survive in Hampton Roads? It's a techie founded place that has live music (and a proper live music setup unlike all of the local venues.) The one thing they have that we don't is .com millions to fund stuff like that.

If the guy who owns Voila doesn't have a hand in it, then you may as well forget it. Aren't there like three people in Norfolk who own all the dt clubs and restaurants?

8 of 10 MacArthur Center food court eateries to close

Burger King, Kelly’s Cajun Grill, Lotus Express, Nathan’s Famous, Arthur Treacher’s Fish & Chips and the Hershey’s Ice Cream stand all will close, in addition to the Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks, after business March 12.

Wow, this is huge. This mall sure has seen many places come and go as of late.. more leaving it seems. They have their work cut out for them to get new eateries in there asap.

Edited by urbanvb

ii think it will be for the better and I don't think they will have much trouble filling the spaces. As for the stores, they seem to be filling their places. If you keep a keen eye out you can see that they have to have some stores close so that others can expand and remodel. In fact, there does not appear to be many truly vacant spaces.

Well, it serves them right. Banning teens from the mall after 5 was a stupid idea. These eateries in the food court (with exception of the cheesecake factory) were frequented by teens. People may like to pretend that the ban had nothing to do with it but these businesses were doing fine earlier, even if their service was a little lacking. Hopefully mall management takes this as an opportunity to recalibrate and come up with a better business plan.