Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Wards Corner...

http://www.wvec.com/...-142988155.html

The old Peoples shopping center. Glad to see Norfolk wants to keep that building intact. I always thought it was a pretty unique building...unfortunately there's already two drugstores there, so another one would be too mu...wait, this is Norfolk, nevermind. :-P

I wonder if the city is looking at investing in streetscaping Wards Corner. With all the new construction and remodeling happening, one would think it would be a no-brainer!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to MacArthur the other night. Dead as usual. Finish Line looks like they are closing/closed and some new place is going in the failed Fudge Brothers shop that used to be s brand name store.

The mall experience is dying and rise of the town center, or I like to call it, classic shopping experience. Where the city went wrong was making a building that could not change. Eventually all malls die, sooner or later. The issue is not knowing, however, not understanding that a big box would hang in the middle of your DT is the issue.

The place should have been designed in a way to change as change comes. One of the bigger issue is that Macarthur Center is simply a mall, not a destination. They should have included mass entertainment, condos and hotels into that project. That would have kept it vibrant even if the mall component died.

Not much movement at the wellsfargo project. The sushi and yogurt place seem to be moving at an extremely slow pace. The door is hardly ever open as if someone is working in it.

The sushi place that is supposedly opening in the old Brazilian steak (Granby street, station two) house has little movement as well. I recently saw a latter, but never the lights on as if people are working. Door is always closed and locked. not sure what is going on unless they are working hours after 5.

Side note, I hate that "plot" concept they are doing on Granby and main. It’s not worthy of a concept in that area of the city. It actually looks like something you would put in DC or Baltimore in an old distressed neighborhood that you are trying to bring back slowly. The fact that it is nonprofit seems to exude the possibly that it will only be that. they are going to let them build on it, then supposedly when someone wants the land, they are going to trash all the nonprofit money that was put into it, reimburse them possibly?

One thing you have to remember about the people who live in DT, they like DT as it is. They do not want more of anything, this is a fact.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, there is a latter in the sushi bar that is coming to Granby, so I guess this means they are officially doing something. IN fact, i over heard the owner of granby street pizza talking about the contract to one of his buddies. I guess he knows the person who is doing the inside for the sushi place that will be next door.

The urbanoutfitters building looks AMAZING from the street. They have a sick stair case that leads to the upper level(s), smack dab in the bad. That building is going to be "tough" and will be huge to say the least. I guess they are here for the long haul, they are completely redoing that building.

The urbanoutfitters building looks AMAZING from the street. They have a sick stair case that leads to the upper level(s), smack dab in the bad. That building is going to be "tough" and will be huge to say the least. I guess they are here for the long haul, they are completely redoing that building.

Yeah the Pilot ran a story this weekend on it. Sounds like they've got some decent people working on it. http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2012/06/building-transformation-into-urban.html

• 2 weeks later...

Saw in the planning agenda that a "Cook Out" Fast Food Chain is seeking approval to open in the 1800 block of Monticello, I assume across from Doumars.

It appears to be a franchise based out of North Carolina though they have two locations in Richmond and one in Blacksburg. Very cheap food with a menu that almost replicates Doumars.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to Taphouse pretty often, but it's been a few years. They used to have signs in front of the warehouses, with pictures of what they wanted to do with the space. Except for Taphouse and the Chanello's Pizza, it's a really dreary part of Ghent, and looks pretty sketchy at night, compared to what's on Colley.

They've started tearing down the Wards Corner strip mall...that's where the new Harris Teeter will go, along with a few other shops and restaurants. Good start to revitalizing the area, although I'm more interested in what they'll do with the plaza across the street. I've always liked the unique style of that building.

I made this comment on the Pilot article, and I'll share it on the Norfolk Live blog, but crossing Monticello is a pain. That area does not get the kind of foot traffic that necessitates a two-story restaurant. If it were somewhere downtown (say, along Granby where Subway is), it would be unique, but DT doesn't get that kind of foot traffic either. A one-story Chick-Fil-A is just fine.

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but I think it would be a waste. Granted, I've seen lines wrapped around Chick-Fil-A in other parts of town, so that would be a plus. But, if you've ever seen how the lines at the Wendy's further up the street affects the traffic driving along Monticello, you'll see why a two-story restaurant might not be the best idea.