Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

I will admit that over the last number of years that I have been vocal about Macy's leaving Military Circle and relocating to MacArthur Center. I had sent e-mails to Macy's corporate and MacArthur's to pitch the plan. Of course, I never got any responses. NOW I think that it makes more sense now to raise that plan again. With the odvious further decline of "The Gallery" (stupid name) I think that BOTH Macy's and JCPenney should relocate. Macy's @ MacCenter and JCP in a stand alone building perhaps in the St. Pauls parking lot. Any discussion???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just published a blog on the Towne Bank coming to Colley.  While I wish it were going to be something else like a small farmer's market or something, I think the design fits in well with the neighborhood.  http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/08/towne-bank-to-replace-old-bp-station-on.html#!/2013/08/towne-bank-to-replace-old-bp-station-on.html

Paradise Donuts is coming to Granby St.  It's a franchise but should provide another option for folks to go for breakfast.

Good for them.  I know some local people wanted to start a shop down there but they never could quite get it off the ground.  I'm wondering if the national chains moving downtown is foreshadowing the expected apartment growth?  Granby is a rough market,  Honestly I think we need about 10 more national chains to anchor the street and bring the foot traffic that they would get in any old suburban shopping center, then maybe the independents could make it.

• 3 weeks later...

The old Empire (which moved a few storefronts down the street) looks to become "Luce" an Italian Restaurant and Wine bar.  Another applicant had proposed "Alchemy" but I guess that either fell through or became too much trouble.

A new butcher shop / restaurant is proposed for Shirley Ave in Ghent.  Pendulum Fine Meats.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of updates from the October planning commission agenda.

As mentioned in the Pilot, the Fresh Market has plans to open a store at a new medical/commercial complex on 21st street between Colley and Hampton Blvd.   Unfortunately it's going to be very suburban with a big surface parking lot.  I still think a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Fresh Market would make a great tenant for half of the old Market Downtown but I have heard a rumor that TCC is taking over that space.

There are several restaurants coming as well:

"Supper" in the Palace Shops Area on 21st will feature a large rooftop bar.

"Saffron" in the Wells Fargo Center.

"Gershwins" in the old Velvet spot on Granby Street.

You can view floor plans and site layouts in the agenda document here: http://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9824

A bunch of updates from the October planning commission agenda.

As mentioned in the Pilot, the Fresh Market has plans to open a store at a new medical/commercial complex on 21st street between Colley and Hampton Blvd.   Unfortunately it's going to be very suburban with a big surface parking lot.  I still think a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Fresh Market would make a great tenant for half of the old Market Downtown but I have heard a rumor that TCC is taking over that space.

There are several restaurants coming as well:

"Supper" in the Palace Shops Area on 21st will feature a large rooftop bar.

"Saffron" in the Wells Fargo Center.

"Gershwins" in the old Velvet spot on Granby Street.

You can view floor plans and site layouts in the agenda document here: http://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9824

For me, this was the most exciting thing in the document:

THE CITY OF NORFOLK ON BEHALF OF WATERSIDE ASSOCIATES LIMITED

PARTNERSHIP BY CITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION FOR NORFOLK DISTRICT

ASSOCIATES, LLC, ON BEHALF OF CORDISH ENTERPRISES, LLLP

for the following

applications:

a.

For a Zoning Text Amendment to Chapter 11-29 of the Zoning Ordinance,

“Localized Alternative Sign Overlay District for the Waterside,” in order to amend

and reordain Chapter 11-29, as the “Localized Area Sign Overlay for the Town

Point” (TP-LASO) district, and establish new sign regulations along the Waterside

and Town Point Park promenade.

b.

For a change of zoning to adopt the “Localized Area Sign Overlay for the Town

Point” (TP-LASO) as an overlay zoning district on properties generally bounded to

the east by Atlantic Street, to the north and north east by Waterside Drive, to

the south and west by the Elizabeth River, and to the north by W. Plume Street.

The purpose of the requests is to allow for a localized approval for bold and vibrant

signage and lighting along the Waterside, Town Point Park, Half Moone Cruise

Terminal and Nauticus promenades and street fronts.

An independent donuts shop will be opening soon in Ghent at plaza across from the 201 Twenty One complex.  O's Donuts has signage up but the windows and door are still covered with paper.  Island Krave, a Caribbean Bistro, recently opened in the old 21st Street Deli spot in the same plaza.

A few shops and a new restaurant are opening closer to Hampton Blvd, across the street from the proposed Fresh Market.  STReats at 915 W. 21st street will be a cozy 35 seat restaurant and bar with a focus on international street foods.  

429 on Granby seems to be wrapping up the interior build out.  Looking forward to see what the mastermind behind Handsome Biscuit and The Boot(formerly) has in mind for his Granby Street restaurant.

---

While Granby has been rather dead towards the end of Summer (As it usually is) I'm excited to see an influx of new businesses and apartments coming in.