Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Gene Walters (aka GW) is the founder of Farm Fresh, or something to that effect. GW Marketplace is the urban concept of the Farm Fresh chain.

At one point Gene Walters was seperate from Farm Fresh. He left Farm Fresh Corporation and went solo and then it joined together. There is a Gene Walters marketplace on 21st street.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple products (yet) but I can tell you that their stores are VERY attractive and bring a lot of business, definitely a plus for wherever they're located. :thumbsup:

This is the type of store I was talking about earlier that would keep attracting customers and other exclusive retail to MacArthur center. Definitely a big boost to the center, and in my opinion, preferable to Lynnhaven mall

It will be exciting to finally have people moving into these buildings.

And I think once the people move in the retail will catch up.

I am wishing for a Whole Foods/Wild Oats in the area, at least in Ghent. Some new restaurants too. It is all pretty exciting though.

I live in downtown Norfolk, and do most of my shopping at night. I travel up to the Wal*Mart on Military Highway. It is one of the more ghetto Wal*Marts. Bad attitudes from workers, hardly any lanes open, thug life representing life 24 to the 7. But hey, it's cheap. I actually went to the farm fresh next door once, after getting mad at the poor service. Sad thing is, it was worth having half the bill IMHO going to WalMart. The Farm Fresh, I wondered how often items left the shelves. I miss the Virginia Beach Wal*Mart. Even though I think the Wal*Mart employees should unionize.

The Farm Fresh is needed though. It will be in walking distance of where I live. Imagine actually being able to buy a 2 liter of soda in downtown Norfolk without going to 7-e at Duke/Grace.

What we need is a Wal*Mart in Ghent! I was thinking of getting a low count number of bumper stickers made up that say "Support the Ghent Wal*Mart" or "Fight the Ghent Wal*Mart" just to cause a stir. Okay, it's a bit trollish, but wouldn't it be funny?

I live in downtown Norfolk, and do most of my shopping at night. I travel up to the Wal*Mart on Military Highway. It is one of the more ghetto Wal*Marts. Bad attitudes from workers, hardly any lanes open, thug life representing life 24 to the 7. But hey, it's cheap. I actually went to the farm fresh next door once, after getting mad at the poor service. Sad thing is, it was worth having half the bill IMHO going to WalMart. The Farm Fresh, I wondered how often items left the shelves. I miss the Virginia Beach Wal*Mart. Even though I think the Wal*Mart employees should unionize.

The Farm Fresh is needed though. It will be in walking distance of where I live. Imagine actually being able to buy a 2 liter of soda in downtown Norfolk without going to 7-e at Duke/Grace.

What we need is a Wal*Mart in Ghent! I was thinking of getting a low count number of bumper stickers made up that say "Support the Ghent Wal*Mart" or "Fight the Ghent Wal*Mart" just to cause a stir. Okay, it's a bit trollish, but wouldn't it be funny?

I agree that the Farm Fresh is a necessity. No neighborhood can be an urban pedestrian paradise without at least one grocer in walking distance. I live directly across the street from a supermarket and love the convenience.

And, I can't wait until Colley Ave looks like this!!! :w00t:

Walmart1CropSmaller.JPG

Why do I get the feeling that if Wal-mart unionizes resulting in your current "half-price" bill jumping to equal the one from Farm Fresh, you'll complain about that too?

Why do I get the feeling that if Wal-mart unionizes resulting in your current "half-price" bill jumping to equal the one from Farm Fresh, you'll complain about that too?

It was pretty funny reading about that longing for a union at Wal-Mart in the same breathe with the yippee eye oh about the supposed half-price prices.

I don't think Wal-Mart prices are half the Farm Fresh prices.

It was a good observation on the atmosphere in that Military Highway Wal-Mart.

The earth would stop spinning before Wal-mart made it to Ghent :unsure: !

I hate shopping at Wal-mart. I think its great for revitalizing areas and maintaining traffic on busy corridors but it isn't good to add it in place where it is only out of place, but also in a place that could degrade the quality of an area (such as Ghent). But in the end, I hate shopping at Wal-Mart no matter where it's at and I would only go if I absolutely had to go there.

The earth would stop spinning before Wal-mart made it to Ghent :unsure: !

I propose that the city include money for a Walmart blocking forcefield in their next budget. We could put it up around Ghent, Fort Norfolk, Downtown, and any and all Historic districts. If that doesn't work I heard there's this new Walmart repellant that comes in aerosal form that we could spray over the entire metro by plane. Ahh... One can dream can't he? ;):lol:

I propose that the city include money for a Walmart blocking forcefield in their next budget. We could put it up around Ghent, Fort Norfolk, Downtown, and any and all Historic districts. If that doesn't work I heard there's this new Walmart repellant that comes in aerosal form that we could spray over the entire metro by plane. Ahh... One can dream can't he? ;):lol:

:rofl: I'm guilty of shopping there but maybe they could come up with a urban walmart. I would perfer a local store in places like that. With produce and such on the sidewalk. I think places like that are killer!

:rofl: I'm guilty of shopping there but maybe they could come up with a urban walmart. I would perfer a local store in places like that. With produce and such on the sidewalk. I think places like that are killer!

Wal-mart doesn't have an "urban-style" store concept. The Wal-mart stores that exist in urban areas are simply their standard rural/exurban model shoved into an urban space.

Here's an insteresting MSNBC story about Wal-mart conforming (or not) to municipal design codes.

Retailers forced to dress up big-box stores

From that story, here's a pic of a dressed up wal-mart in Texas. It's the same big box with "cute" faux storefronts pasted on. You can see the shoppers wandering out into the standard 6-to-8-acre parking lot. :sick:

050624_bigbox_hmed.hmedium.jpg

Downtown needs an urban Target, and a Circuit City. Maybe in the old downtown plaza. To h$ll with a Walmart. A Walmart would look nice at VB TC. :thumbsup:

If only you were on the Beach city council 10 years ago when Wal-mart came knocking for the what is now the TC.

Anyway, in seriousness, I don't believe the Wal-mart business model works too well in dense urban areas. Although the area is high traffic, I'd assume that the high cost of parking and land (either bought or leased) would cut deeply into profits. That said, if the urban setting is less expensive than surrounding areas (a good example is downtown L.A.) then a Wal-mart makes economic sense. Downtown Norfolk and TC are very expensive compared to Little Creek or Dam Neck. Downtown NN is probably less expensive than Oyster Point. So you're more likely to see a Wal-mart popping up in downtown NN than in Downtown Norfolk or TC.

Walmart is going to eventually succumb to the market pressures of demand. With more people moving back to urban areas, there is going to be some kind of demand for Walmart. Maybe on a smaller scale, but Walmart is going to adjust it's business model in some fassion or form in order to meet market demand in urban areas. Your right, Walmarts business model as of now would not be profitable within dense areas. But, as crazy as it sounds, Walmart is running out of rural areas for expansion. So, a Walmart in downtown Norfolk is not too far fetched.

Oh please please propose a forcefield. I too dislike Wally World. I understand their need in rurual areas but not in Ghent, please. Now I sound like I am begging....hahha :lol: