Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

There was a very, very brief rumor about Ikea that was debunked just as quickly as it started. Would love that too. ;-)

I still say that's a terrible location for an outlet, but I'd love to see them do something like what Williamsburg has.

They're closing quite a few Macy's stores across the country too. If Military is on that list, I'm very curious as to what happens to that mall. Sears, JCP, the hotel, AND Macy's gone?

I like the idea of moving Macy's to MacArthur, and either turn Military Circle into an outlet mall or a town center like the one in Hampton.

Edited by BFG

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/jc-penney-close-military-circle-store-norfolk

JC Penney closing in military circle mall. 33 in the country are closing and 2 are in VA...Bristol and Norfolk. Its sad how military circle is going down. Sears and the hotel left and now Macy's and Ross are the only anchors left. JCP been with mall since it first opened.

How will this impact the mall? Janaf? military hwy corridor?

Edited by Weaver24

OK, I know I may be going out on a limb here (and risk getting thrown under a bus) but how about a complete redevelopment of the Military Circle Mall property into....drumroll please....a new arena.  Think about this.  Norfolk's Scope is very old, fairly outdated (and ugly, if you ask me.)  It's not very large, by comparison.  New arena's have been proposed several times for the area, but sometimes in a location that would make it somewhat impractical (like the oceanfront.)  A very centralized location like that at Military Circle, which is basically at the center of Southside Hampton Roads, would be ideal.  There is already a hotel that could be renovated/expanded.  The area has bountiful dining choices.  A new, larger arena to replace Scope could potentially be used to attract bigger concerts and events than the area currently gets.  Perhaps that long-awaited NBA team, too?  (Well, I won't hold my breath about that one...) But no matter what, it would be an ideal location.  Stores currently at the mall that want to stay in the area could relocate as part of a mixed use design for the arena which would put storefronts around the perimeter.
I know this all sounds grand and perhaps a bit pie-in-the-sky, but thoughts, anyone?

Edited by likeminded

The location for an arena at Military Circle has been mentioned before here. It definetly has the space to put an arena there with plenty of parking around it and an already developed surrounding area. The Tide could even be expanded north up Military Hwy to the airport.

But Norfolk does not seem interested in a new arena.

The location for an arena at Military Circle has been mentioned before here. It definetly has the space to put an arena there with plenty of parking around it and an already developed surrounding area. The Tide could even be expanded north up Military Hwy to the airport.

But Norfolk does not seem interested in a new arena.

The Military Circle space would be perfect for an arena, with a nice cluster of shops, restaurants and even a hotel. Norfolk had its chance to build a downtown arena in the 90s, and dragged its feet (where have I heard this before?). Granted, a lot of it was the city hoping the other cities would pitch in as well, but they had a chance to build an arena for a much lower price (less than $200M...most arenas nowadays are twice that).

Rumor has it not having an arena in place is part of the reason the Charlotte Hornets went to New Orleans instead of Virginia. Apparently, George Shinn really wanted some sort of team in Norfolk (remember the "Rhinos"?). However, from all accounts I read, Norfolk dodged a bullet by not doing business with him.

But yeah, I think VB is building that arena. As far as what to do with Military, I agree with a Town Center setup. Don't try to make it another downtown, but develop it into a mid-rise district where people will want to go.

Edited by BFG

Saw this on Craigslist:

"We need female bartenders (Norfolk )

We are seeking up to 7 attractive/confident female bartenders to work at our new sports bar that will open March 1st. Prior bartending experience is NOT required. Must be 18 yrs of age or older. No exceptions. Proof of age required. Must be reliable and have reliable transportation. Must be fit and height/weight proportionate. Bartenders will be required to wear a very small bikini top and short shorts. Must be able to fill out a bikini. If this type of outfit makes you uncomfortable, then this position is not for you. We realize that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, however we are looking specifically for fit, attractive women that look great in a bikini. If this is you, please respond with relevant work history, a contact number, and a face and a body pic (bikini pic preferred). Thanks for looking."

Anyone have any info on this sports bar and where it is going?

Saw this on Craigslist:

"We need female bartenders (Norfolk )

We are seeking up to 7 attractive/confident female bartenders to work at our new sports bar that will open March 1st. Prior bartending experience is NOT required. Must be 18 yrs of age or older. No exceptions. Proof of age required. Must be reliable and have reliable transportation. Must be fit and height/weight proportionate. Bartenders will be required to wear a very small bikini top and short shorts. Must be able to fill out a bikini. If this type of outfit makes you uncomfortable, then this position is not for you. We realize that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, however we are looking specifically for fit, attractive women that look great in a bikini. If this is you, please respond with relevant work history, a contact number, and a face and a body pic (bikini pic preferred). Thanks for looking."

Anyone have any info on this sports bar and where it is going?

Not sure where it's going but they're advertising illegally.  In Virginia you have to be 21 to pour alcohol and be a bartender.  18 for serving alcohol.

Not sure where it's going but they're advertising illegally.  In Virginia you have to be 21 to pour alcohol and be a bartender.  18 for serving alcohol.

Probably just someone looking for pictures of young attractive females!  If the "bar" only serves beer and wine then someone over 18 may act as a bartender.  If there is liquor behind the bar then the bartender must be 21 or older.

Also Trilogy is going to become the "Norfolk Tap Room" soon.  It's a beautiful building inside and out, hopefully the tenants can keep the upscale atmosphere.

There is also a new 90 seat Theater coming to Granby in the Arts District named Push.  It will be owned by "The Pushers" a local sketch comedy group.

http://www.altdaily.com/features/112-entertainment1/nightlife27/6498-pushing-their-way-into-the-arts-district-the-pushers-to-open-the-push-comedy-theater-this-summer

Additionally a cafe is supposed to open adjacent to the salon at the corner of Granby and Olney.

http://www.altdaily.com/features/food/6490-coming-to-the-arts-district-the-parlor-on-granby