Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just walked downtown last week to pick up some Norva tickets...

The restaurant that occupies the former Jewish Mother space is called "FM" and appears to be a carbon copy of the Jewish Mother. They weren't yet selling tickets out of the restaurant but an employee did say that ticket sales should be starting soon.

Glad to hear also that a new beer bar will be opening up DT soon...compared to even just a couple places in Ghent, DT is seriously lacking in the craft beer department.

The "FM" sign up on the exterior looked to be made of paper or posterboard...I presume City Council has not yet made the trek down the block to review.

Ye olde DQ/Zero's combo on Colley has been undergoing floor and wall remediation the past week or so for the Noodles & Co. remodel. Haven't yet seen any construction on the small outdoor patio that lies just next to it.

Workers were also installing, from the labels on the material boxes outside, "acoustical wall panels" on the interior of the building that once housed Garden Gazebo on 21st. I heard that this store was formerly a Roses way way back in the day and one could still see the markings on the floor from the soda counter stools. Interesting to see if the floor will remain after the renovations for whatever it is that is going in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/norfolk-neighbors-frown-possible-dollar-tree-store

Stuff like this is why Downtown Norfolk's leadership pisses me off. It's sounding a lot like the food truck debate from last year. I'm all about raising the profile of DT, but let's not pretend this is going to jeopardize anything. Ever been to NYC? They've got tacky 99 cent stores on every single corner. And I know Norfolk is not New York, but with quotes like below, you'd think they were.

"There is nothing unique about a Dollar Tree," he said. "It flies in the face of the brand we're trying to build downtown, and that's a brand of boutique retailers and first-to-the-market retailers."

But the 7-11's okay, right?

/Wouldn't mind the Crate and Barrel though...

Edited by BFG

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/norfolk-neighbors-frown-possible-dollar-tree-store

Stuff like this is why Downtown Norfolk's leadership pisses me off. It's sounding a lot like the food truck debate from last year. I'm all about raising the profile of DT, but let's not pretend this is going to jeopardize anything. Ever been to NYC? They've got tacky 99 cent stores on every single corner. And I know Norfolk is not New York, but with quotes like below, you'd think they were.

But the 7-11's okay, right?

/Wouldn't mind the Crate and Barrel though...

I think the city is more worried about who the Dollar Tree would attract downtown.  Downtown has a hard enough time fixing it's image that a Dollar Tree store puts it on very shaky grounds, especially right on Granby St. which they desperately want to be an upscale street for shopping and dining.

I think the city is more worried about who the Dollar Tree would attract downtown.  Downtown has a hard enough time fixing it's image that a Dollar Tree store puts it on very shaky grounds, especially right on Granby St. which they desperately want to be an upscale street for shopping and dining.

Agreed.  I also think it's the location.  They're looking to tie MacArthur Mall to Granby St. retail (Urban Outfitters, Brazilian swimwear store) and that's the prime thoroughfare to do so.  A Dollar Tree would sort of disrupt that.  But as they said in the article, if you bring a Crate and Barrel or Anthropologie there, it gives mall-goers a reason to keep shopping outside the mall and continue on up and down Granby.  Folks aren't going to leave the mall for a Dollar Tree.

Edited by Ghentite

Agreed.  I also think it's the location.  They're looking to tie MacArthur Mall to Granby St. retail (Urban Outfitters, Brazilian swimwear store) and that's the prime thoroughfare to do so.  A Dollar Tree would sort of disrupt that.  But as they said in the article, if you bring a Crate and Barrel or Anthropologie there, it gives mall-goers a reason to keep shopping outside the mall and continue on up and down Granby.  Folks aren't going to leave the mall for a Dollar Tree.

I agree with you completely. You want to have retailers that will get people out of the retail bunker of MacArther and on to the streets, I have no problem with a dollar tree downtown but not in this location.

A Dollar Tree will actually get REAL LIVING people to shop in downtown, as opposed to those "boutique stores", which haven't exactly been rushing to rent those downtown spaces. How many years, or decades, has that building between Granby and Monticello been vacant? And many years ago, didn't that storefront used to be a WT Grant, a five-and-dime store?

Sorry, but a real vibrant downtown has a mix of retail, including discount stores, upscale boutiques, used merchandise stores, locally owned stores, chains, and whoever wants to put up shop there. After all those decades of no retail downtown, It would be idiotic to not allow anyone who's willing to pay the rent to set up shop.