Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Lots of restaurant activity on Colley Avenue in the Highland Park neighborhood.

Mazzika has recently started serving breakfast and lunch. Used to be supper only.

Mama Jo's Pizza closed down. Kind of hard for a delivery-only pizza place to survive in an area that already has a bunch of pizza places.

There will be a Cogan's Pizza where the  laundromat at 44th and Colley was. 

Across the street from Cogan's will be Eva's. Beer, wine and artisanal sandwiches, whatever that means.

There's a coffee shop going in next to Ed's Barbershop, not sure of the name.

And finally, Pancho Luigi's (Mexican-Italian?) will take over the Phoenix Bar and Grill space.

Here's something that's VERY cool! The Groove Record Shop will return to downtown Norfolk, 46 years after the last downtown location closed. I hope that a store selling new and used records is upscale enough for certain members of the Downtown Norfolk Civic League.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/groove-record-shop-return-norfolk-after-46-years

That is pretty cool.  Looks like some more restaurants too.

I don't think the issue with the DNCL and other Norfolk advocates is upscale vs. lowscale retail.  It's more about keeping consistent with the proposed plan for retail downtown (which city officials tend to stray from even though it's THEIR plan).   The  objective is to create a flow from the mall with its brand-name stores to Granby, which would have a blend of brand-names, indy stores (record store is the perfect example), and small businesses mixed in with restaurants.  Dollar Tree might work in that plan, but the proposed location.  Put it at one of the other ends of Granby.  Nobody wants to leave the mall and see a Dollar Tree.  It's not exactly a main attraction that grabs people out of the mall.  That's why Norfolk advocates are pushing the city officials to keep trying to recruit something better for that particular location.

Just to clear some things up.  I think folks have a misperception of the group known as "Norfolk" as in "Norfolk never wants this," or "Norfolk sucks at that."   But there are various groups at play and they don't all suck.  I'll use a simple example with installing more bike racks downtown.

Re:Vision Norfolk - Lobbyists for a more vibrant downtown.  Conducted a free study on the effects of bike-friendly environments on small business, which concluded what everyone assumed, that bike-friendly downtowns help small businesses thrive and attract new businesses.  Re:Vision recommended more bike lanes downtown and more bike racks.  Next step was to get Downtown Norfolk Civic League and Downtown Norfolk Council onboard, since they have more influence.  In general, both of these groups typically agree with the recommendations of Re:Vision.

Downtown Norfolk Civic League - Made up of residents and property owners downtown.  Supports a bike-friendly downtown and endorses Re:Vision's recommendation.  Endorsement reflects those who live and own property downtown.

Downtown Norfolk Council - Made up of major corporations downtown  (Norfolk Southern has a rep on the DNC) and promotes business downtown.  Supports a bike-friendly downtown and endorses Re:Vision's recommendation to city planning commission.  Heavy hitters who have a budget to actually purchase and install bike racks.

City Planning Commission - First level of approval on minor and major development.  Looks at architectural features of bike racks, durability, color, etc.  Also looks at plan for more bike lanes downtown.  Approve racks easily because DNC has the money.  Racks start getting installed downtown.  Studies plan for more bike lanes and adds or subtracts different routes.  Makes recommendation to city council

City Management Department - Gate keeper for city council.  With the bike racks, they also threw in some city funds to install more bike racks.  For the various bike routes, they studied the city planning commission recommendations and made some additional recommendations.  Because this was a larger issue, it was sent up to city council to decide

City council - Gives final approval on more important/complicated development issues such as installing new bike lanes; usually won't waste time on minor issues such as installing more bike racks.

Every development issue is different but this is a snapshot of how it typically works.  If there's a proposal for a new business, it typically goes straight to City Planning Commission and it definitely helps if they have the endorsements of Re:Vision, DNCL, and DNC.  Sometimes they don't, like the time a strip club was proposed and city planning will use that lack of support to shoot the idea down.  Hopefully, that gives a little perspective on some of the inner-workings.

Edited by Ghentite

Here's something that's VERY cool! The Groove Record Shop will return to downtown Norfolk, 46 years after the last downtown location closed. I hope that a store selling new and used records is upscale enough for certain members of the Downtown Norfolk Civic League.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/groove-record-shop-return-norfolk-after-46-years

That article also mentioned some new restaurant developments for Granby Street.

"Sweet Teas Southern Cuisine, a soul food restaurant in Richmond, is opening a second location at 345 Granby St., Gadams said. An eatery selling gourmet grilled cheese and other sandwiches plans to open next door, and another will offer Vietnamese pho and other Asian soups in the former Nana Sushi space, he said."

There was also a post on the pilot about Bobby Huber reopening Bobby Wood on Granby Street somewhere.  http://hamptonroads.com/2014/04/bobbywood-coming-back

Additionally, Bobby Wright is reopening something in the former Bobby Wood spot on Monticello Ave across the street from the Wells Fargo building.  Not sure if it will be a full time restaurant or just a banquet facility. 

That is pretty cool.  Looks like some more restaurants too.

I don't think the issue with the DNCL and other Norfolk advocates is upscale vs. lowscale retail.  It's more about keeping consistent with the proposed plan for retail downtown (which city officials tend to stray from even though it's THEIR plan).   The  objective is to create a flow from the mall with its brand-name stores to Granby, which would have a blend of brand-names, indy stores (record store is the perfect example), and small businesses mixed in with restaurants.  Dollar Tree might work in that plan, but the proposed location.  Put it at one of the other ends of Granby.  Nobody wants to leave the mall and see a Dollar Tree.  It's not exactly a main attraction that grabs people out of the mall.  That's why Norfolk advocates are pushing the city officials to keep trying to recruit something better for that particular location.

Just to clear some things up.  I think folks have a misperception of the group known as "Norfolk" as in "Norfolk never wants this," or "Norfolk sucks at that."   But there are various groups at play and they don't all suck.  I'll use a simple example with installing more bike racks downtown.

Re:Vision Norfolk - Lobbyists for a more vibrant downtown.  Conducted a free study on the effects of bike-friendly environments on small business, which concluded what everyone assumed, that bike-friendly downtowns help small businesses thrive and attract new businesses.  Re:Vision recommended more bike lanes downtown and more bike racks.  Next step was to get Downtown Norfolk Civic League and Downtown Norfolk Council onboard, since they have more influence.  In general, both of these groups typically agree with the recommendations of Re:Vision.

Downtown Norfolk Civic League - Made up of residents and property owners downtown.  Supports a bike-friendly downtown and endorses Re:Vision's recommendation.  Endorsement reflects those who live and own property downtown.

Downtown Norfolk Council - Made up of major corporations downtown  (Norfolk Southern has a rep on the DNC) and promotes business downtown.  Supports a bike-friendly downtown and endorses Re:Vision's recommendation to city planning commission.  Heavy hitters who have a budget to actually purchase and install bike racks.

City Planning Commission - First level of approval on minor and major development.  Looks at architectural features of bike racks, durability, color, etc.  Also looks at plan for more bike lanes downtown.  Approve racks easily because DNC has the money.  Racks start getting installed downtown.  Studies plan for more bike lanes and adds or subtracts different routes.  Makes recommendation to city council

City Management Department - Gate keeper for city council.  With the bike racks, they also threw in some city funds to install more bike racks.  For the various bike routes, they studied the city planning commission recommendations and made some additional recommendations.  Because this was a larger issue, it was sent up to city council to decide

City council - Gives final approval on more important/complicated development issues such as installing new bike lanes; usually won't waste time on minor issues such as installing more bike racks.

Every development issue is different but this is a snapshot of how it typically works.  If there's a proposal for a new business, it typically goes straight to City Planning Commission and it definitely helps if they have the endorsements of Re:Vision, DNCL, and DNC.  Sometimes they don't, like the time a strip club was proposed and city planning will use that lack of support to shoot the idea down.  Hopefully, that gives a little perspective on some of the inner-workings.

I personally think the first and foremost plan for downtown Norfolk should be: get some #$^&* retail into those empty spaces, instead of waiting for some mythical upscale retailers! Those storefronts on Market street have been vacant for at least a decade. Same with Harry's BBQ on Granby. The Quality Shop has been empty for around 5 years. The two arcades always have a bunch of empty spots. And remember, the mall will try to woo any Anthropologie's and Crate & Barrel's since MacArthur has some dead space too. 

A Dollar Tree will get shoppers onto the downtown streets. An empty storefront that's being reserved for a certain type of retailer will get NO shoppers. And that empty space will benefit none of the groups listed above.

Ghentite, I think you misjudge the Civic League's reaction to The Groove. The thought of someone lugging a crate of records to be traded in would turn a Civic League member apoplectic. If I recall correctly, until just a few years ago, used bookstores weren't allowed downtown. (I think we discussed that ban on UP somewhere.)

I personally think the first and foremost plan for downtown Norfolk should be: get some #$^&* retail into those empty spaces, instead of waiting for some mythical upscale retailers! Those storefronts on Market street have been vacant for at least a decade. Same with Harry's BBQ on Granby. The Quality Shop has been empty for around 5 years. The two arcades always have a bunch of empty spots. And remember, the mall will try to woo any Anthropologie's and Crate & Barrel's since MacArthur has some dead space too. 

A Dollar Tree will get shoppers onto the downtown streets. An empty storefront that's being reserved for a certain type of retailer will get NO shoppers. And that empty space will benefit none of the groups listed above.

Ghentite, I think you misjudge the Civic League's reaction to The Groove. The thought of someone lugging a crate of records to be traded in would turn a Civic League member apoplectic. If I recall correctly, until just a few years ago, used bookstores weren't allowed downtown. (I think we discussed that ban on UP somewhere.)

Agree to disagree.  I just can't be convinced that a Dollar Tree in that exact location would be would be beneficial in any way.

And for what it's worth I'm not misjudging the civic league's reaction at all.  Civic League's president was one of the key proponent's of lifting the archaic ban on used bookstores last year. This record store appears to the the first business taking advantage of that ban lift.  So good for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Local Love/Press Plae pop-up shop opened last weekend in the Palace Shops. It's a big deal for me, because I have some of my photography hanging. Here's my wall of stuff.

10261118_443704759098198_1310266148_n.jp

The shop's hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. The address is 325-B W. 21st Street, on the backside of Decorum.

Oh yeah...the Wisconsin picture's already sold. ;)

The Local Love/Press Plae pop-up shop opened last weekend in the Palace Shops. It's a big deal for me, because I have some of my photography hanging. Here's my wall of stuff.

10261118_443704759098198_1310266148_n.jp

The shop's hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. The address is 325-B W. 21st Street, on the backside of Decorum.

Oh yeah...the Wisconsin picture's already sold. ;)

Outstanding.

Yo, when i come home, lets get up and talk photography man.... I kn ow you are a canon shooter, I won't haze you too much about it, lol.

I read this article on Yahoo and even though it is a national article as opposed to a regional Pilot or Daily Press article, Military Circle Mall is mentioned quite a bit as an example of a failing mall. I had no idea that payments have been missed on the mall in general. I expect this mall to close within 5 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/struggling-malls-suffer-sears-penney-230900630.html

Edited by zeppelin14

Outstanding.

Yo, when i come home, lets get up and talk photography man.... I kn ow you are a canon shooter, I won't haze you too much about it, lol.

Haha no problem...sounds like a plan! What do you shoot with?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of turning Military into a Town Center like Hampton's. Plenty of land, I'd knock down everything but the theater (make it something more upscale), the hotel, Macy's, the former Sears (convert it into a Best Buy) and JCPenney (move the Target near Janaf there), and build city blocks around it.

Add a few apartments and restaurants to the mix. As for the current setup, they're trying to hold on to a failing property. Time to let it go.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of turning Military into a Town Center like Hampton's. Plenty of land, I'd knock down everything but the theater (make it something more upscale), the hotel, Macy's, the former Sears (convert it into a Best Buy) and JCPenney (move the Target near Janaf there), and build city blocks around it.

Add a few apartments and restaurants to the mix. As for the current setup, they're trying to hold on to a failing property. Time to let it go.

I could see it as a park to be honest.....

Considering we are not going to get a big name team, I can see a park, attractively located to the interstate, shopping, and residential areas. I wouldn't want to see a town center type of project and bestbuy is too close to the other to do ok there.

Either way, MC needs to go...

Haha no problem...sounds like a plan! What do you shoot with?

Nikon D800 and D7000

I have a 50m 1.8

70-200 2.8

and a 24-70 2.8

As a matter of fact, I use to set up at the plot when I came home and just took free pictures of people and email them the shots.

did you guys know a walmart was coming to brambleton area?

When I was home a few weeks ago I drove by the warehouse they tore down, I was like wow, that building has been there for ever, my uncle use to work in that building. I didn't realize it was that much space. That would put a walmart 5/7 miles apart as the closet would be military hwy.

http://wavy.com/2014/05/14/new-wal-mart-coming-to-norfolk/

"City spokesperson Lori Crouch said when the Broad Creek Walmart Marketplace is finished late this year, it will bring about 100 jobs to the area. The store will serve the Broad Creek, Ingleside, and Ballentine Place communities."

• 5 weeks later...

Sirena's on Granby Street has closed it's doors.  Enjoyed the food there quite a bit but didn't visit very often.  (edit: It appears they have moved to the Hilltop area of Virginia Beach.  Makes sense, that's where the money is around here!)

Construction appears to have begun on the new Bobbywood spot in the 200 block of Granby.  Looks like there will be some more life down that way over the next couple of years with the new Hilton and conference center.

"The Noodle Bar" at the former Nana Sushi spot should be open any time now.  They just got their approval from the city to serve alcohol and a "Grand Opening" sign is posted.

Cruzer's in Chelsea/West Ghent has closed it's doors after about a 15 year run.  A new group involved with Scotty Quix downtown is taking over with plans to integrate a large outdoor area and a completely refurbished building.

Edited by mikeas

Kind of foggy details, but there is interest in a DT market again....

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/06/grocery-store-expresses-interest-downtown-norfolk

A grocery store is interested in opening downtown, Development Director Steven Anderson said Monday.

Anderson talked about the possibility during a development update he gave to the Downtown Norfolk Civic League on Waterside Live, the Hilton and other plans. He said details of a grocery store are proprietary.

• 1 month later...