Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's now a website that provides a detailed description of the outlet project as well as an adjacent mixed use development in the works that acts in conjunction with the site. It seems pretty intriguing.

http://www.lakewrightprojects.com

I'm kind of curious because when looking at the site plan, there is a big spot where an "anchor tenant" is supposed to go (I would assume on the VB side of things). It looks like an upscale Super Walmart in the renderings but I am thinking I read something about how the second phase would have some big, unique to Hampton Roads type store. So I am wondering if this would mean Wegman's or an IKEA in that spot? 

Also, I was thinking that VB could have a reason to complain that Norfolk is taking all the tax revenue and leaving them with a parking lot and water retention pond but from the rendering, they are getting a substantial piece of the development in the form of this new anchor and assorted outparcels. Now it just seems like they are being petty for no good reason. I will say that I think Norfolk needs to improve road access (Miller Store Road) to the back of that property to link it to the Military Hwy interchange (AKA the secret airport exit) because it will get backed up with people trying to avoid Northampton. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some new restaurant openings/changes in the works around town.

Machismo Burrito Bar at 409 York Street is proposing adding an ABC license with TOGO beer and a small grocery section.  Seems most of their business it takeout anyway or people sit on the patio so it makes sense to me.

Peck and Pour World Class Wings and Beer at 1380 Colley Avenue (the old Bella Pizza)

Fennel and Fig at 435 Monticello (the old Bobbywood Spot in the loft's across from Well's Fargo Center).

Not sure of the status of the new Bobbywood location on Granby as Chef Bobby Huber passed away a few days ago.  Never met the man but I will say I had the best meal of my life at his old Bobbywood location on Monticello.

The city has purchased the vacant JCPenney property at Military Circle. I guess...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/norfolk-plans-buy-vacant-jc-penney-property

MC's time has come and gone. Just raze the place already...if VB passes on the arena, put it there.

I smell the beginning stages of another Town Center. It's Norfolk's turn to try their hand at one. One that IMO will be more like Hampton's (more focused on retail/restaurants) and less like VB's (strong mix of office/retail/restaurants). 

That said, I agree that this would be the ideal location of an arena. Especially if the light rail can eventually run that way (en route to the airport).

@HRVT, I've said the same thing but I think you might be on to something...

http://insidebiz.com/news/norfolk-eda-eyes-jcpenny-space-military-circle

Two interesting quotes from the article....

"They'd like it to be something different," Robertson said. " Maybe de-mall it, maybe give it multi-uses. All we did was give them the money to do it with."

"There are 122 acres," he said. "It's property that should be a centerpiece for a lot of positive stuff and it's just not. The JCPenney property is 18 percent of the big picture. It's 16 acres that could be the start of something new and exciting."

Whatever they do, keep the hotel...I've always wanted to stay there, at least when the mall was much nicer. Maybe convert the movie theater to a CineBistro-type theater.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new restaurant and entertainment plans from the latest planning commission agenda:

Leones is proposing to take over the former Sirenas space with another italian concept that includes an attached market with wines, olive oils, and food prepared in the restaurant.  The proposal includes a roof top dining area.  It'll be owned and operated by the people who own 456 Fish, 219, Bodega, Byrd and Baldwin, and more. (455 Granby)

Pimento Island Bistro - Small bistro on 21st Street in Ghent near East Coast Bikes.  (1902 Colley)

The new owners of the Texaco building at 759 Granby have plans to allow the first floor to be utilized as a performance/entertainment venue holding up to 450 people.

Yes, it's a Brazilian steakhouse called Texas De Brazil. There is a Brazilian steakhouse already in Newport News called Tucanos, though Texas De Brazil is supposed to be a much better version with better meats and selection. I can't wait!

Leones is proposing to take over the former Sirenas space with another italian concept that includes an attached market with wines, olive oils, and food prepared in the restaurant.  The proposal includes a roof top dining area.  It'll be owned and operated by the people who own 456 Fish, 219, Bodega, Byrd and Baldwin, and more. (455 Granby)

So this proposal looks to be more than proposal.  They have already gutted the interior of the building and opened the wall between the former barber shop which will become the new market/wine shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Over on Hampton Blvd., right off the ODU campus, a CVS is set to open. It's on the site of the old Bank of America. I didn't see any 24-hour signs, which surprises me a bit. I'd think they'd want to try and get some business from the Walgreen's on 21st, which is open 24 hours.

• 1 month later...

I tried to reply to an old Wards Corner thread, but it has been archived so I'll just post in here...

Wards Corner has had a lot of good development lately. Harris Teeter is thriving and the shops across the street look nice although still a lot of empty spots. The old BP gas station was torn down recently and as I drove by yesterday, it looks like they are leveling the land and put in some posts, fencing, porta-potty for new construction. I looked around online and could not find any info. It is a small lot but does anyone know what is being built? I think a Dunkin Donuts would be ideal there - good sized lot for it.