Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Two new Vapor Shops (e-cigarette stores) have opened downtown in the past couple of weeks.

The Vapour Co at 426 Granby and Vapor Vault at 814 Granby.

The Grilled Cheese Bistro was about to open last week but a pipe burst on the third floor of the building destroying all of the drywall and flooring.  Bummer.  Looks like it's being repair pretty quickly though so I suspect we will see them open soon.  The Sweet Teas spot next door looks about ready as well.  Kind of odd that both places have the same color scheme despite no affiliation and opening at the same time in the same building.

• 2 months later...

I was driving over near Military Circle, and that place looks more pitiful than I thought. I want Norfolk to put it out of its misery, but I want them to find a suitable replacement. Given what they're doing with Waterside 3.0, I'm not holding my breath on either. But yeah...this looks pretty sad, esp. with the dreary weather.

B-jRW4xIEAAOrzQ.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a surprise. VB City Council opts not to let Norfolk use its land for a service road to the outlet mall. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/va-beach-council-votes-down-norfolk-outlet-mall-road 

I really wish they'd use the Military Circle property, but this frustrates me to no end. I'm sick and tired of this area being held hostage by petty politicians.

I grew up right across the street from Lake Wright golf course and I agree this is a terrible location to put this mall, but Simon Properties insisted on building the outlet at the intersection of Northampton and Wesleyan and the city agreed and gave them the land.  The outlet is going to happen so both cities should have come together to mitigate negative impacts on traffic.  It would be funny if it was not so tragic that Virginia Beach all of sudden cares so much about the looooong neglected neighborhood of Burton Station that they pointed to the comprehensive plans for this neighborhood as the reason for voting down the access road.  This small town pettiness is the reason why Hampton Roads never reaches it's full potential. 

Looks like Military Circle will finally be put out of its misery.  Sad in way for me because I'm old enough to remember its heyday when the place use to be hopping especially on the weekends.  Lots of memories, but I know that the mall has outlived its usefulness and should be redeveloped into a town center.

Looks like Military Circle will finally be put out of its misery.  Sad in way for me because I'm old enough to remember its heyday when the place use to be hopping especially on the weekends.  Lots of memories, but I know that the mall has outlived its usefulness and should be redeveloped into a town center.

I agree with the redeveloping. Keep Macy's, the movie theatres, the hotel, the shoppes and stand-alone stores on the fringe of the property. Redo the roads into more of a grid style, and make a town center with some residences tossed into the mix.

Agreed. I've always loved that hotel, so that needs to stay, and renovated extensively. Maybe upgrade the movies into a CineBistro-style theater, and keep the Macy's. With a Town Center setup, I would convert the former Sears or JCPenney property into a Crate & Barrel, then a few apartments and condos elsewhere along the property.

Yeah...I drove past the site yesterday. Had no idea everything was pretty much torn down (the hotel). Looks like they're ready to go, minus the agreement on the service road.

I know the original Lake Wright hotel was torn down sometime in the late-90s or so, but wasn't there another hotel built on the site recently ("recently" meaning the last 10 or so years). I wasn't paying too much attention because I was driving, but I could've sworn they built another hotel, and now it looks like that one's gone too...

• 4 weeks later...

Tesla plans to build a charging station at Janaf. I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla around here, and there's still no dealers, though they want to build one somewhere in Hilltop. But, it seems silly to have a Tesla charging station if the car isn't even sold around here...

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/05/11/6221300/tesla-to-build-its-first-supercharging.html?rh=1

From the articles I've read, Tesla doesn't do franchises and Virginia requires them.  They were able to compromise with the state to open one dealership in Tyson's Corner.  Maybe the station is a sign that Virginia may allow another dealership - namely one in South Hampton Roads.