Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Tesla plans to build a charging station at Janaf. I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla around here, and there's still no dealers, though they want to build one somewhere in Hilltop. But, it seems silly to have a Tesla charging station if the car isn't even sold around here...

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/05/11/6221300/tesla-to-build-its-first-supercharging.html?rh=1

I see tesla around here all the time

Yeah...I drove past the site yesterday. Had no idea everything was pretty much torn down (the hotel). Looks like they're ready to go, minus the agreement on the service road.

I know the original Lake Wright hotel was torn down sometime in the late-90s or so, but wasn't there another hotel built on the site recently ("recently" meaning the last 10 or so years). I wasn't paying too much attention because I was driving, but I could've sworn they built another hotel, and now it looks like that one's gone too...

Drove past the site again yesterday. The hotel is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Norfolk Council wants a more "vibrant" downtown, starting with the storefronts.

http://insidebiz.com/news/downtown-norfolk-council-tries-entice-businesses-spice-storefronts

I'd love to see a big name retailer get some store space...another Urban Outfitters type of shop. Honestly, I'd love to see a Target or Best Buy downtown, I just don't know where. Regardless, I love what the DNCL and Grow have tried to do to raise downtown Norfolk's profile.

Edited by BFG

Downtown Norfolk Council wants a more "vibrant" downtown, starting with the storefronts.

http://insidebiz.com/news/downtown-norfolk-council-tries-entice-businesses-spice-storefronts

I'd love to see a big name retailer get some store space...another Urban Outfitters type of shop. Honestly, I'd love to see a Target or Best Buy downtown, I just don't know where. Regardless, I love what the DNCL and Grow have tried to do to raise downtown Norfolk's profile.

For me, that is what spq should be for another good option for places like that would be Fort Norfolk.  but both of those approaches have to be comprehensive and done with an immediate end in mind. 20/30 yeah plan in drawing such goals will not make a target or big name place be part of Dt that is not in the mall.  From what I understand, Urban outfitters was a huge stretch to obtain. There is one or two more spots on granby that could support a shop like Urban Outiffiters, but what would that be? I think they should see if Samsung has stores. That would be a cool shop on granby to have. Wouldn't need to be terribly big. If they do not have shops, I would shop that to their company. apple has tons of people in there shop basically doing nothing, lol. I would be nice to see something like that on granby

I think DNC and Grow could teach this to other cities. 

At the DNC meeting it came up that after an exhaustive search in other cities, they could find no other similar type of program. It was thought that the idea will be used in other cities, too. 

Considering what the reaction was to Dollar Tree wanting a space downtown, good luck getting anything but a trendy high-price store downtown. Target would get about the same response Dollar Tree did.

Edited by jeffconn

• 3 weeks later...

According to the planning agenda AJ Gators is planning to move to 435 Monticello Avenue in the former Bobbywood spot.  Doesn't seem like a good fit for the building nor a built out former fine dining restaurant.

Also Jack Browns Burger Joint will be replacing Mo and O'Malleys Irish Pub.  Jack Browns is technically a chain (regional) but they only have a few locations and they appear to be built and run like a locals joint.  I've been to one in Roanoke and it's a neat concept.

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1576?fileID=1990

Edited by mikeas

I loved that Granby St. location...the atmosphere was one of a kind. I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Harry's. It moved to Tazewell St. years ago, and died within a year or two. I don't even think they've done anything with the Granby St. storefront since.

NFKJeff, not sure.

I'd love to see a pool hall on Granby, above one of the restaurants. That would be a nice spot.

I feel like a barcade of some sort would be nice down there. There's one up in DC called H Street Country club that has games on the first floor, mini golf on the second, and a rooftop bar on the third. It would be a fun concept of sorts.

I vaguely recall seeing something like that in AltDaily, where I think proposed the concept of a barcade somewhere downtown. It might've been a review of how they're successful in other cities, and they simply asked "Wouldn't this be cool in Norfolk?"

But yes, I agree that would be awesome.

According to the planning agenda AJ Gators is planning to move to 435 Monticello Avenue in the former Bobbywood spot.  Doesn't seem like a good fit for the building nor a built out former fine dining restaurant.

Also Jack Browns Burger Joint will be replacing Mo and O'Malleys Irish Pub.  Jack Browns is technically a chain (regional) but they only have a few locations and they appear to be built and run like a locals joint.  I've been to one in Roanoke and it's a neat concept.

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1576?fileID=1990

There are condos above 435 Monticello and and that type of establishment doesn't seem like a good fit for the building or the residents.

Mo and O'Malleys has been in operation since the early 90's and with The Garage being closed it's safe to say it's the oldest bar Downtown.  The owner would always close if she went on vacation and she doesn't really let any of her staff touch her liquor so I guess she'd rather retire than trust someone else to run the place.  I'd rather her sell the bar to a new owner but she actually owned the whole building so she's cashing out her million and moving on.

I spent my ODU years going to Mo and O'Malley's, many evenings drinking and singing along to old Irish folk music..and new with my then, girlfriend and now wife.  I have friends with accessories like a UPS hat hanging on the walls.  I remember the sliver of a pub it was on the left side and the musicians crammed themselves the stairs to play, when the right side was a Korean hair salon...and then the expansion.  More roomy and spacious.  Last year my wife and I started our 8th anniversary with a couple pints at Mo and O'Malley's before boarding the Spirit of Norfolk.  We had some chill conversation with Gudi who remembered us from our college days quite a few years ago.  I guess we'll have to frequent Murphy's (which we like too) to see Don and Martin.  Slainte, Mo and O'Malley's!

• 2 months later...

Some new restaurants coming to downtown side of Granby:

Greenhouse Kitchen - from the owners of Grilled Cheese Bistro this will occupy the spot that Sweet Teas had briefly before moving a block down the street.

Benny's Pizza - this will occupy half of the former Mo and O'Malleys, the other half is supposed to become Jack Browns burger bar.  I believe both places will be owned by the same people.

Bon Chon will be taking over the Domo Sushi spot.  It's a chain but it looks to be a respected one offering Korean fried chicken.

Looking forward to seeing what the Vibrant Spaces program will do.  We should have several other retail announcements coming soon.

Also a brewery is proposing to open at the old warehouse on Colonial next to the tracks.  It's called Makers Craft Brewing.

• 2 weeks later...

Macy's announced today that they are closing 40 stores across the country. I'm certain the Macy's at Military Circle will close. Does this mean the final dagger for the mall?

I most certainly hope so. Once that happens, the wheels can start turning for a redevelopment plan. Perhaps we can finally lure Ikea to a spot of that size.

For a few months now, I've envisioned a mixed-use complex, where the hotel and theater stay. The corridor between those two spots becomes an outside row of stores connecting the two, perhaps the outlet mall supposedly going out Lake Wright. Maybe keep the food court and replace it with a few larger restaurants and patio.

The Ikea goes on the old JCPenney. The arena going at the Beach would go on the Macy's. I think you still have plenty of parking that doesn't interfere with anything. The mall is a ghost town, but there are a few elements that could be recycled.