Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

For a few months now, I've envisioned a mixed-use complex, where the hotel and theater stay. The corridor between those two spots becomes an outside row of stores connecting the two, perhaps the outlet mall supposedly going out Lake Wright. Maybe keep the food court and replace it with a few larger restaurants and patio.

The Ikea goes on the old JCPenney. The arena going at the Beach would go on the Macy's. I think you still have plenty of parking that doesn't interfere with anything. The mall is a ghost town, but there are a few elements that could be recycled.

I still don't understand the huge deal about why the Outlet Mall HAS to go to Lake Wright. Getting rid of Military Circle and putting the Outlet Mall there instead gives you a location where utilities and transportation logistics are already essentially taken care of. It keeps traffic away from the nightmare that is Northampton Blvd and means VB can once and for all shut the heck up. I understand there's more space at Lake Wright, but that's literally the only advantage to building there. And that's not relevant to now and likely won't ever be relevant IMO. Outlets are already becoming more and more common that I almost wonder if the concept of giant outlet malls will be outdated before long.

• 4 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken, the floors above the current AJ Gators is either not residential or are vacant. Whereas, the floors above the former Bobbywood's happen to be condos.

Yes I've been up there.  Its pretty much gutted.  You can walk on the third floor from AJ's into Harry's BBQ building.  It would require a lot of work but it can pretty much be used for anything.

AJ's building is being turned into 'Tap It'...another craft bar. 

That's the one thing I don't like about what's happening downtown. 

Now with AJ's moving, you've got 3 sports bars right beside each other, there's 3 juice/smoothie type of places.  Several sushi places.  It just seems like they'd cannibalize business from each other.

20151017_114550.jpg

20151017_114557.jpg

The above photos of the old Mo & O'Malleys Irish Pub show how different the new place will look. They are really opening-up the Granby St. side, and adding (restoring) four arched windows on the Plume St. side. I think this is going to be a great upgrade.

You'll like the interior/exterior of Jack Brown's. They all have a very kitschy/industrial kind of feel, and it has a unique sense of place. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot going on along Granby Street at the present. It'll be interesting to see how street activity evolves over the next year.

The new Italian Restaurant with rooftop dining.

IMG_6309.thumb.JPG.32743cd6a68fecdd8e51b

Brick Anchor Brewhouse is finishing up.

IMG_6310.thumb.JPG.8bbb415e28f406593f3de

There's a new Irish Pub opening where Paradise Donuts used to be. 

IMG_6311.thumb.JPG.f7f2e8192c2f2ad992612

Starbucks appears to possibly be moving from the Selden Arcade into the Law Building (makes sense with a new coffee shop going into the Main)

IMG_6312.thumb.JPG.6dc667fc70111279ce62e

Jack Brown's/Benny's Pizza  is steadily progressing.

IMG_6313.thumb.JPG.15390eec6400925549e04

Wow, between all of these, the Hilton, the Boush St lofts, Waterside, the NEON District, and all of the potential Fort Norfolk stuff, there's a lot more than I realized going on in Downtown right now. Who knows, maybe we're witnessing the beginning of another building boom?

Edited by Helium3

Probably all a dream, but I'd love to see the Granby Tower site and vacant lot at the corner of St. Paul and City Hall Ave. become the site of 30-story towers, if not higher. Then a few tall buildings across from the new HRT hub on St. Paul.

Was home this past week, didn't get to see any of that. I did make it to BWW but not much further down. Nice to see AJ gators move into that old steakhouse brick building.... Mom was rushed to the hospital at Depaul, stepped out to get something to eat with friends while I was there. So it wasn't a happy visit and actually got lost for a quick second in the roland park area (no one would have guessed that I would get lost back home). I see that tidewater drive and norview ave is a new apt building. I was trying to find it on the site, but I just do not remember that being on the board. Or perhaps because it isn't DT related. Told my wife who comes home often, she replies "pitiful, that's been up", lol.

Was home this past week, didn't get to see any of that. I did make it to BWW but not much further down. Nice to see AJ gators move into that old steakhouse brick building.... Mom was rushed to the hospital at Depaul, stepped out to get something to eat with friends while I was there. So it wasn't a happy visit and actually got lost for a quick second in the roland park area (no one would have guessed that I would get lost back home). I see that tidewater drive and norview ave is a new apt building. I was trying to find it on the site, but I just do not remember that being on the board. Or perhaps because it isn't DT related. Told my wife who comes home often, she replies "pitiful, that's been up", lol.

Those are the Promenade Point Apartments http://www.promenadepointeapartments.com/ 

There have been a lot of developments like that throughout Norfolk over the past 2 years and virtually none of them are posted on this board, I guess because they are suburban in nature. Norfolk is getting hella apartments added to the market, the demand is high. 

To name a few not mentioned 

Meadowood Apartments http://www.meadowood-apartments.com/

River House http://riverhouseapartmentsnorfolk.com/

Park Crescent Apartments ( not new added new sections and expanded ) http://www.parkcrescentapartments.com/

These popped upon tidewater drive I cant find anything about them online there are small developments like this all over  https://goo.gl/maps/WoEKLQ7iRQU2

I wonder what Norfolk's population will be next time the census is done there are things going up everywhere its gota be at least 250,000 

Hope your next visit is more pleasant :/ 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Si7i

I don't think the common stores will be as big of a deal...not that different than Lynnhaven having a lot of the same stores IMO. With them being close to the airport, it's possible they get more out-of-towners, as well as the locals who may not wanna go to Williamsburg or Short Pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Jurich's is getting some company on Waterside. Humboldt Steel Corp is opening in the Town Point Center building and will be fronting Waterside Drive. It's a restaurant that serves pizza, craft beerbeer and spirits. There's one currently in Portsmouth (https://www.facebook.com/HumbodltSteelCorp). With the critical mass that we're reaching downtown, it's nice to see that street start to liven up.

On Friday, November 13, 2015, zeppelin14 said:

A lot of the same stores are already in MacArthur Mall. I hope this doesn't hurt business in the mall. That's all Norfolk needs is another half empty mall.

Since Premium Outlets is an Outlet Mall, and MacArthur is a regular mall, wouldn't the 2 have different items anyway? MacArthur should have all of the new wares, while the Outlet mall would get most of last years stuff that didn't sell/got returned.

16 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

20151205_140227.thumb.jpg.b5487996800a2120151205_140227.thumb.jpg.b5487996800a21A couple of pictures of Jack Brown's / Benny's Pizza, and one of Leone's Italian Restaurant.

20151205_140153.jpg

20151205_133159.jpg

On your last photo, I happened to be walking on Granby Street on the other side of the building because I saw the Tide and bicyclist.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, BFG said:

Anytime I see one of those old school downtown pictures, I always wonder what could've been, had things not fallen off in the 70s. Good to see the momentum returning, but I don't think it'll ever be as strong as the picture above. 

Unless the ship building industry gets a kick in the pants due to a war or something.

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

Unless the ship building industry gets a kick in the pants due to a war or something.

Or if some other industry makes population increase by more than a few percent a year...  Need more diversity.

Look at the comparison of Hampton Roads and Raleigh.

http://www.censusscope.org/us/s37/m6640/chart_popl.html

http://www.censusscope.org/us/m5720/chart_popl.html

We're way down the list on growth compared to other metros.  http://www.censusscope.org/us/metro_rank_popl_growth.html