Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Several retail/restaurant announcements today.

Starr Hill Brewing is opening a location in Waterside.

Prince Ink is moving from Hampton to Downtown at 433 Granby Street.  They're a craft printing/design company.

Lamia's Crepes will occupy a 500 sqft spot at 401 Granby in the first floor of the Metro apartment building.

Muddy Paws is opening at 400 Granby Street which is in the former permits and/or utilities department for the city.

Waffletina is proposing a full-time location next to Toast in Park Place.  Currently they operate as a popup around town at various other businesses.

10 hours ago, mikeas said:

Several retail/restaurant announcements today.

Starr Hill Brewing is opening a location in Waterside.

Prince Ink is moving from Hampton to Downtown at 433 Granby Street.  They're a craft printing/design company.

Lamia's Crepes will occupy a 500 sqft spot at 401 Granby in the first floor of the Metro apartment building.

Muddy Paws is opening at 400 Granby Street which is in the former permits and/or utilities department for the city.

Waffletina is proposing a full-time location next to Toast in Park Place.  Currently they operate as a popup around town at various other businesses.

Oof. You sure they aren't trying to get a 'breakfast district' going? Handsome Biscuit, Toast and Waffletina all within throwing distance. Maybe they can come up with a shared parking lot to facilitate all the business that'll be coming their way.

On 11/13/2015 at 3:13 PM, 757Duke said:

The current lineup of stores coming to the Norfolk Premium Outlets is available on their site.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/norfolk/map

When I link to the site, it changes the web address to simon.com and simply states Norfolk Premium Outlets coming soon.  I cannot get a list of the shops.

5 hours ago, likeminded said:

When I link to the site, it changes the web address to simon.com and simply states Norfolk Premium Outlets coming soon.  I cannot get a list of the shops.

It used to be up there, but following an article in the Pilot they have since removed the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not surprised one bit. I have said for years now that Macy's should close the Military Circle store. I was in favor of them opening a new local flagship store at MacArthur Center.

I am also not surprised with them closing the stores at Chesapeake Square ( mall in serious decline) and Hampton (bad location?).

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

When they expanded years ago, Macy's kind of lost it market value IMO. It was just gobbling up Hect's I believe. Probably a bad move in hindsight.

I agree with you 100%. I worked at Hecht's during the changeover, and when it became Macy's, I felt like the name lost its value. It became another suburban department store that you can find at any mall.

Another article from the Pilot on the Mall:

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/columnist/roger-chesley/roger-chesley-mall-property-has-potential-but-will-it-come/article_1a67cac7-465c-5b28-95a2-a5aa7a557ed6.html

My take: Keep the Doubletree and the movie theatres intact. Rip down the rest of the mall, but keep the buildings on the perimeter, like the office buildings, restaurants, and the little shop building that houses Game Stop. Most of those are actually doing well. Turn the street pattern into a grid, instead of the oval. From there, transform it into an area like Town Center, either the Virginia Beach or Hampton version. More entrances on VB Blvd and Military Highway wouldn't hurt. And put up some parking garages and get rid of the sea of parking.

Edited by jeffconn

The problem with turning it into a VB like Town Center is that VB's is their entire urban focus, while Norfolk already has a downtown. With the current efforts of revitalizing downtown and Fort Norfolk I'm not sure if they've got the resources to do it right. Now, a Hampton-like Towne Center could work, make it more of a family entertainment area to take advantage of all the neighborhoods around the area. It's less 'sexy' than a more urban development, but I think there's a market for it in Norfolk that isn't being satisfied, and it'd probably do better there than in downtown.

For years, I thought both Military and Pembroke should go with a Hampton Town Center setup. Of course, the latter won't happen with all the renovations, but I could see it happening with Military Circle.

Keep the hotel and movies, and the corridor of shops that connect the two. Maybe convert the theater to a Cinebistro or something similar. Keep one of the big box stores, but convert it to something else (I've said Ikea several times, and stand by this :p). Demolish everything else and build a mixed-use Town Center with shops, restaurants, entertainment (perhaps an open courtyard with live music) and apartments/condos.

Would be a great way to revitalize that corridor, especially if they extend LRT down Military Hwy. and to Town Center!

I think it's just me being nostalgic. The hotel was always the one thing I loved about the mall, and I wanted to stay there as a kid. I definitely wouldn't cry over them rebuilding that or a new theater. Gives them even more land to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Granby Street Social Club is taking over the old Parlor on Granby spot. From AltDaily, "[It] will feature an extended bar area, a 15-foot communal table, and karaoke downstairs, with pool tables, Skee-Ball, and a TouchTunes jukebox upstairs.

http://altdaily.com/granby-street-social-club-to-take-over-old-parlor-spot-in-the-neon/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 7:42 PM, ORF flyer said:

Any hearsay on any supermarkets coming to downtown Norfolk??? I heard 2 interested party's visited the old Farm Fresh location in Harbor Heights this week.  Downtown so needs this to happen. 

I really hope it is would not turn out to be something lame. I was sorely disappointed with the FF that was there- it was very overpriced and I barely ever shopped there. It would be great to have a Trader Joe's on one side and an Aldi on the other but... I guess we shall see.