Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

1 hour ago, R-123 said:

Does anyone know the status of the Italian Restaurant on the corner of  Charlotte and Granby?

Construction appears to go in spurts. I believe it has been under construction since this time last year. Am I wrong?

Even seems longer to me. I believe they have some drywall downstairs, but upstairs appears to be framed only. My guess is sometime this summer. Sign in the window says Fall (2015). 

COOL! Not far from my house! WOOHOO!

As much as I like them, I think Red Robin has them beat with burgers.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, BFG said:

Fuddrucker's comes back to Hampton Roads, with a new location opening off Tidewater Dr. next week. Near the Sam's Club.

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/fuddruckers-set-to-open-in-norfolk/article_1439db51-c1bf-54ac-aeca-6afbcdf478e5.html

There is a Fuddrucker's in Newport News by Patrick Henry Mall.

Businesses are clamoring to make Norfolk a 24 hr downtown.

http://pilotonline.com/entertainment/restaurants/how-late-is-too-late-for-downtown-norfolk-businesses-time/article_3d1c472b-9872-5c40-a036-17026d415e0a.html 

"Roldan's not the only one making a late-hours request. The owners of The Parlor, a restaurant and entertainment venue that closed in November, want to reopen at a new location in the downtown arts district. The owners have asked city officials to let them stay open at 806 Granby St. until 4 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Is downtown becoming a 24-hour neighborhood? Only a few businesses have asked to serve food past 2 a.m., said Chris Whitney, a city planning staffer. But as more apartments go up in the heart of the city, such requests could increase.

“You don’t usually see this,” he said,” but if it’s going to change, it’s definitely going to be downtown.”"

I've been asking for this for a minute! Extended hours means more money for a growing city. 

I know there is the concern of crime and drunkenness, but Norfolk should definitely consider this if it wants to raise it's profile as a bigger city.

ETA: If this goes through, I hope they allow the bars to serve alcohol a little longer. If you're only giving places the option to serve food later, it kinda defeats the purpose. I'll just go to Taco Bell or Cookout instead.

Edited by BFG

18 hours ago, BFG said:

If you're only giving places the option to serve food later, it kinda defeats the purpose. I'll just go to Taco Bell or Cookout instead.

This is just not true. Even huge cities like Chicago limit the hours that establishments can serve alcohol, but there are still plenty of restaurants by the bars where the bargoers head to after they're done partying for the night. I am sure the City could lobby the ABC to allow them to give out a very limited number of 4:00 AM liquor licenses to some bars, but I don't think that's what the City or many of its residents want at this point in time.

7 hours ago, VBIllini13 said:

This is just not true. Even huge cities like Chicago limit the hours that establishments can serve alcohol, but there are still plenty of restaurants by the bars where the bargoers head to after they're done partying for the night. I am sure the City could lobby the ABC to allow them to give out a very limited number of 4:00 AM liquor licenses to some bars, but I don't think that's what the City or many of its residents want at this point in time.

I was probably thinking too much about this, and I don't want to make it think I'm not in favor of it. I think it's a great potential development regardless.

3 hours ago, BFG said:

I was probably thinking too much about this, and I don't want to make it think I'm not in favor of it. I think it's a great potential development regardless.

No worries, I've probably been spending too much time on Reddit, so I feel like I'm always in defensive mode when it comes to responses now haha

• Like 1

Hopefully the one on Monticello becomes CVS or Walgreen's. I know more people live downtown, and I know Norfolk loves stacking 7-11s right next to each other, but that's overkill in such a tight space. :P

Edited by BFG

58 minutes ago, BFG said:

Hopefully the one on Monticello becomes CVS or Walgreen's. I know more people live downtown, and I know Norfolk loves stacking 7-11s right next to each other, but that's overkill in such a tight space. :P

Since moving to Chicago, I've never seen a greater number of the same store's (i.e. Walgreen's, 7-11, etc) concentrated in patches throughout the Loop.

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Downtown needs another 7-11 bad , I hate going to the current one on Monticello the line always has at least 15-20 people at peek times during the weekdays I rather goto one on 150 Granby (beggers love hanging in front of the Wells Fargo Center I don't even think they are homeless at this point, I see the same people everyday (by the garage entrance). At this point I think downtown could handle three 7-11s just fine

38 minutes ago, 757Duke said:

Since moving to Chicago, I've never seen a greater number of the same store's (i.e. Walgreen's, 7-11, etc) concentrated in patches throughout the Loop.

Sounds like NYC and Duane Reade. 

The stretch of Main St. near the Marriott could probably use one. Maybe when the Icon opens.