Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Ok, ok. What about an urban Super K? :D

umm, Super K's customer base is of lower income than Walmarts.

Oh please please propose a forcefield. I too dislike Wally World. I understand their need in rurual areas but not in Ghent, please. Now I sound like I am begging....hahha :lol:

I cannot even imagine a Walmart coming to Ghent. It almost makes me laugh saying those two words together.

Wal-mart doesn't have an "urban-style" store concept. The Wal-mart stores that exist in urban areas are simply their standard rural/exurban model shoved into an urban space.

Here's an insteresting MSNBC story about Wal-mart conforming (or not) to municipal design codes.

Retailers forced to dress up big-box stores

From that story, here's a pic of a dressed up wal-mart in Texas. It's the same big box with "cute" faux storefronts pasted on. You can see the shoppers wandering out into the standard 6-to-8-acre parking lot. :sick:

050624_bigbox_hmed.hmedium.jpg

Thats what the new Walmart on Wilkinson Blvd in Charlotte looks like.

From that story, here's a pic of a dressed up wal-mart in Texas. It's the same big box with "cute" faux storefronts pasted on. You can see the shoppers wandering out into the standard 6-to-8-acre parking lot. :sick:

050624_bigbox_hmed.hmedium.jpg

At least I'm not the only one who stopped/hates shopping at Wal-mart... people in this town has obviously moved on up by choosing to shop at "Always" rather than Wal-Mart :rofl:

Why do I get the feeling that if Wal-mart unionizes resulting in your current "half-price" bill jumping to equal the one from Farm Fresh, you'll complain about that too?

Uhhmmm you lied to you and made you think that Farm Fresh is unionized or that they pay a decent wage? In urban markets such as this, the Wal*Mart=Satan argument does not wash as well. No one is forcing anyone to work there and there are PLENTY of job opportunities in Virginia... I don't think Wal*Mart is great but it is no worse than the competition that pays zilch and charges more.

At least they provide their employees with BLUE vests unlike a certain store that requires workers to provide their own RED shirts.

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing yes, but the mall is pretty strong now. I'm sure they will find comparable replacements.

I agree. April Cornell (or whatever it's called) filed for bankruptcy. Considering it is a small chain (100 stores) it's more likely to liquidate all assests. There never seemed to be too much business at White House/Black Market but the parent company, Chico's, still has it's namesake store at the mall as well as a store in La Promenade and a new one at City Center. Timberland's financials appear to be doing well, so that store closing is another low traffic casualty. It's not a matter of being too expensive for the area, but rather not fitting the fashion tastes of the area. I'm surprised that Quiksilver hasn't opened a namesake store or a Roxy store at either MacArthur or Lynnhaven. That company fits local tastes.

I've been sitting on this for about a week now but I think I finally have enough info to say something. I have received word that there is to be a major retail development North of Brambleton on Granby street. They are in extremely early stages on this but some businesses have been acquired to make way for the parking garage for this development. The development of Granby tower has had a major impact on the retailer deciding to locate in this particular location. That is all I can say for now as no official annoucement has been made but this is definately in the works. I will try my hardest to nail down some form of timeline on this as well as the exact scale of this. I have only been told of a retail component but there may be other things in the works. If I were to guess I'd say on the order of 1-2 years.

I know, but i agreed not to say which store it was. As I said, it is preliminary and they still have some hoops to jump through. I can confirm that some buildings have been purchased so it is a definate. Beyond that, I agreed not to say until an official annoucement is made. As I said, i'm working on a time table and as soon as I can confirm one i'll let you know.

You guys have to know that it's already be mentioned in this thread. And through process of elimination i've pretty much already told you who. I just can't directly say it. Read between the lines :P

Ok, Is there any new info about this potential development?

Now I have read this whole thread and here is what I came up with:

Borders - NO as per urbanvb

American Apparel - NO as per urbanvb

Bloomingdales - NO as per vdogg

Macy's - NO as per common sense

Best Buy - NO as per vdogg

So the only "high end" retail that was mentioned before the last quote above are:

Marshall Fields

Sak's

Parisian

Neiman Marcus

Club Monaco

Hugo Boss

Also there was mention of Barnes & Noble, but I wouln't call them "high end" retail.

May we have more NO's on the list above? :shades:

Hey I never would've thought I'd see nothing but big box pharmacies on the corner of Colley and 21st.

Well at least the buildings look better than what was there before (Burger King and a crappy garage looking place?). The one thing that I continue to worry about is that too many residences are going up and there is not enough retail. Many of the people moving into Ghent (Ghent Nouveau?) are coming from the burbs and don't mind driving anyway. I hope that Ghent stays more friendly to businesses (especially unique ones) and does not become an East Ghent, which is higher density suburbs.

Some things I would love to see would be:

1. DEMOLITION OF HARDEE'S, PIZZA HUT & BLOCKBUSTER

2. More variety in retail.

3. A really good bookstore (the one on 21st does not cut it, sorry folks).

4. Less paint stores

5. Pulling 22nd Street into the retail picture a little more.

^^^ I agree.

I'd really like to see 21st Street start to look more like the couple of blocks of Colley that are really nice. I'd like to see the shops better address the street (fewer shopping "plazas" and curb cuts). I'd like to see a variety of shops that meet the needs of neighborhood residents but are still unique enough to be a draw for people to visit.

^^^ I agree.

I'd really like to see 21st Street start to look more like the couple of blocks of Colley that are really nice. I'd like to see the shops better address the street (fewer shopping "plazas" and curb cuts). I'd like to see a variety of shops that meet the needs of neighborhood residents but are still unique enough to be a draw for people to visit.

Well the shops addressing the street is an issue that will SLOWLY come about. As it is now, NEW buildings built on 21st and on Colley (I believe) must conform to the basic design of the neighborhood. This is why the Walgreens, Eckard, Rite Aid and the BB&T (at the croner of 21st & Colonial) buildings are flush with the sidewalks and look quite different than other locations. The only thing is, all the buildings that were there are grandfathered in and there are not that many provisions that seem to deal with parking lots. Of course, 21st Street is full of old car show rooms (21st & Manteo is an excellent example of this) so the parking lots may actually be authentic...