Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

10 hours ago, BFG said:

Anyone know what's going in the old "Garage/Other Side" club space on Granby? Saw a little bit of exterior work this evening, and I think it's owned by the Deckers.

If it isn't the skate shop, then it'd probably be JHANÉ’S Sweet Lounge

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2740?fileID=6291

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BFG said:

Selden Arcade to be transformed into startup retail shops, some food stalls and a 3-D "maker studio" in association with the Slover library. 

http://pilotonline.com/business/as-norfolk-makes-over-selden-arcade-new-shops-and-a/article_fc70445b-a7bc-5c36-964f-96397285bf5c.html

I think this is a great idea this could kick start some businesses that could grow into very successful ones. Let's hope that there is enough foot traffic to keep it going.

• Like 2

I agree.

A few months ago, I went to a Hatch workshop, and one thing they talked about is how they would like to see this region embrace small business just as much (if not more) as luring Fortune 500 companies like ADP. While I think both can and should happen, I also believe this is a great opportunity to support the small businesses and bring more local companies downtown.

• Like 1

"Councilwoman Angelia Williams Graves doubted tourist traffic will sustain the startup businesses."

I would agree with that if you will just give them the space and have no driver to area of DT. It maybe a year too early, it would probably do way better a year from now when the BOA build and waterside would be full and complete.  I keep forgetting about ADP, but has anyone seen their impact yet on the area? I would be interested in knowing.
The city needs an entertainment/open spaces type of person on their team. Someone to give them entertainment ideas, give the unusual person a reason to visit downtown and hang out. Sometimes when I listen to their ideas, I go, "why did that seem like rocket science to them". First friday's is a wonder thing IMO. In the july time, the city of VB on the strip has people out on corners it seems like everyday, at a minimum every weekend. Why is this so rocket science to the city council?

I'm still scratching my head over why they thought food trucks wouldn't work a few years ago. I think having a younger council helps...a lot of the former members seemed out of touch with current trends that other cities have done for years. 

I missed the Engage Norfolk event a couple months ago, but that's something that definitely needs to be addressed. School board members have attended conferences in other cities, but it wouldn't hurt to send 2 or 3 councilmembers to Austin or Orlando...or even Charlotte/Raleigh if you wanna start closer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 1:02 PM, brikkman said:

"Councilwoman Angelia Williams Graves doubted tourist traffic will sustain the startup businesses."

I would agree with that if you will just give them the space and have no driver to area of DT. It maybe a year too early, it would probably do way better a year from now when the BOA build and waterside would be full and complete.  I keep forgetting about ADP, but has anyone seen their impact yet on the area? I would be interested in knowing.
The city needs an entertainment/open spaces type of person on their team. Someone to give them entertainment ideas, give the unusual person a reason to visit downtown and hang out. Sometimes when I listen to their ideas, I go, "why did that seem like rocket science to them". First friday's is a wonder thing IMO. In the july time, the city of VB on the strip has people out on corners it seems like everyday, at a minimum every weekend. Why is this so rocket science to the city council?

Waterside will be open and mostly full well before a year from now (in fact, in less than a month).  And the Icon Apts open later this fall, so I think saying they should wait a year is a bit too much.  I work at ADP, and the restaurants and such in the area surrounding us are busy at lunch time.  And they are still hiring hundreds more people!  So I think the time is indeed, now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Handsome Biscuit will be opening a new location on Monarch Way near ODU. The legal notice that states they are trying to get a beer license is on the building now. The location is the former home of Boardwalk Fries, Krispy Krunchy Chicken, a Chinese restaurant, and probably one or two others (I lost track). It's the location on Monarch Way where restaurant ideas go to die! Hoping they will have better luck.

It looks like they are finally working on Pizza Fusion, also on Monarch Way, in the old Starbucks location. It will be one of the ODU student focussed restaurants run by Aramark, so i don't hold too much hope for it. The Den by Denny's, another new restaurant run by Aramark, has been a major disappointment.

8 hours ago, jeffconn said:

Handsome Biscuit will be opening a new location on Monarch Way near ODU. The legal notice that states they are trying to get a beer license is on the building now. The location is the former home of Boardwalk Fries, Krispy Krunchy Chicken, a Chinese restaurant, and probably one or two others (I lost track). It's the location on Monarch Way where restaurant ideas go to die! Hoping they will have better luck.

It looks like they are finally working on Pizza Fusion, also on Monarch Way, in the old Starbucks location. It will be one of the ODU student focussed restaurants run by Aramark, so i don't hold too much hope for it. The Den by Denny's, another new restaurant run by Aramark, has been a major disappointment.

I've heard great things about the "Handsome Biscuit". Does it live up to the hype?

Bruce Thompson's opinions on Selden Arcade. Business Incubator? Beecroft & Bull?  Glass on both ends?  Is the city even listening??  I know Mayor Alexander was not happy about this development as currently envisioned.  A true epicenter for Downtown befitting of The Main,  the historic Selden and the Slover Library? A progressive game-changer  for start-ups in Norfolk? 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/downtown-organization-puts-out-call-for-new-businesses-to-fill/article_6378628a-9e5d-5519-835f-9d78803f852c.html

Edited by baobabs727

48 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I think it's a very good idea. Not all that go through it will be successful, but having a place to start seems like it could be super beneficial to local small businesses.

Right, but is Selden the appropriate venue? Is there a better and higher use for the property given the central DT location and the prominence of the buildings that bookend the historic space?

Edited by baobabs727

I do like the idea of a small business incubator, and feel the area needs to embrace the idea just as much as luring a Fortune 500 company. I know that in Philly, there's a creative/small biz space that used to be a high school. If I'm not mistaken, it stays open 24/7, so something like that downtown would be awesome, esp. if they serve food.

As for whether Selden is the right place, I think the only issue would be parking. I don't see this getting heavy traffic, so streetside parking may be okay. The only other downtown spot I could see working is somewhere in the NEON District. The top two floors of the Texaco Building would be perfect IMO, or the old Alchemy building.

• Like 1

There is a building that sits on the corner of plum street next to the LRT station at MacArthur Center. What's the story with that building, I would think that would be a prime parcel. Love the building, but i can't ever remember a business being there although i'm sure it was at some point.

21 hours ago, brikkman said:

There is a building that sits on the corner of plum street next to the LRT station at MacArthur Center. What's the story with that building, I would think that would be a prime parcel. Love the building, but i can't ever remember a business being there although i'm sure it was at some point.

That used to be a men's clothing store. It is surprising that nothing happened with that property for all these years despite all the change around it.

That property and the three adjacent to it are currently up for sale.