Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Moe's is coming to downtown at some point next month. According to Inside Business, the address is 161 Granby, which Google points to being the Leaning Tower. Good to see more restaurants taking over ground level shops downtown. This is the kind of thing that helps bring more activity there.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/tourism-and-hospitality/article_c55017d8-2aee-11e9-988a-8bacf3d29f76.html?fbclid=IwAR174y2rAW1nCpOQpk3wAmR1PkzEUuX7CBBRK5k7sSjs1x4A8PsF9Pz-7h4

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BFG said:

Moe's is coming to downtown at some point next month. According to Inside Business, the address is 161 Granby, which Google points to being the Leaning Tower. Good to see more restaurants taking over ground level shops downtown. This is the kind of thing that helps bring more activity there.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/tourism-and-hospitality/article_c55017d8-2aee-11e9-988a-8bacf3d29f76.html?fbclid=IwAR174y2rAW1nCpOQpk3wAmR1PkzEUuX7CBBRK5k7sSjs1x4A8PsF9Pz-7h4

I just went on a walk of downtown last night. That whole block has a bunch of newly opened or opening soon eateries (and they aren't all bars even!). Also, that Moe's might just be the nicest Moe's I've ever seen. It takes up 2 floors, has gigantic windows, with intricate crown molding on the ceiling and pillars. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, Smartmouth Brewery in Chelsea released a new marshmallow-based IPA called "Saturday Morning". People started a rumor that it tasted like Lucky Charms, and that got national attention. The line apparently wrapped around the corner, and the beer sold out quickly. The Pilot says that people came from as far as California to try this out.

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/alcohol/article_4b600fca-3d20-11e9-9e91-7ff2c8407f2b.html

Nice to see us get national exposure for things like that.

• Like 2

This makes me think of that project the owners of MacArthur Center are doing. Aren’t the owners of MacAurthur suppose to be expanding that last anchor space? I’ve did some digging on the site but can only find the same renderings. They need to hurry up lol This also reminds me of Denver Pavilions. I took a screenshot of it on google maps. It’s hard to get a good aerial angle because of density. Nordstrom leaving might not be so bad. You could do a lot with that space if you think outside the box. Density, Density, Density! 

9D24209D-F219-47F7-A4CA-D3F8E6D4795A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frank Spicer's restaurant supply store is moving out of its 100-year-old building. I hate to see such a longtime business go, but I think that building has a lot of potential uses.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_f6624d26-6119-11e9-acb6-bfa27d7b7320.html?fbclid=IwAR3uECP5OLCcvJn9pDQT5caUstmbo0JlwbSRe-5j3wJCEer-D_A57vsGcWk

• Like 2

So I moved away but still read these forums from time to time. In DC there is something called DC USA. It's got a bunch of big box stuff in an urban footprint. I wish MacArthur would get its act together and go that route at this point. DC USA has a Marshall's, Target, Best Buy, Staples and some other stuff under its roof. I could see a two story Target taking up floors 2-3 with like Marshall's on the ground floor. Give them some discounted rent. The Target on Military Highway is pretty awful. I used to drive past it to go to Pembroke. Not sure of the powers that be read this or care. I hate to see such an icon of Norfolk go down the tubes. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went last night. It's a lot of fun, and breaks up the string of clubs and bars. You can prepay for a reloadable membership card, or simply pay for the games and drinks outright, but either way you use your card to pay for games and drinks (insert the card at any of the beer taps in the above picture), and pay by the ounce). I probably spent under $20 for two beers and a few games.

The only drawback is that right now, it closes at 1 am. I asked an employee whether they plan to extend the hours, and she said it's very likely, since the Richmond location stays open until 3. Fingers crossed that this and Pixels are here to stay!

Waterside did that same bs, closing the main area at 11 and Blue Moon closed at like 12 I think. PBR was the only one that stayed open til 2, so I stopped going. What is up with these places coming down here to open and truncating their hours? We're not children. It's an irritating trend and makes me wonder if it's something that the city pushes.

• Like 1

Representatives from the mall approached him this year about the idea. At the time, he was considering opening his second location in downtown Norfolk. He was skeptical of the mall at first.

"I thought, 'Man, that mall is dead,'" he remembers.

It still is, went there last week for the first time in about 5-7 years. Saw roughly 10-15 people on a Saturday afternoon and this was with a carnival in the parking lot. He better market heavily to Optima and Movement....cus he isn't getting business from retail customers that's for sure. Horribly depressing mall that needs to be redeveloped ASAP. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some opening and closing in downtown Norfolk:

Opening soon:
ABC Store is moving along at 143 Granby St (old Smoothie King location). Looks like it could be open very soon. Perhaps week or so.
Granby Station Food Hall at 100 Block of Granby.  Due open late June or early July
Chicho's Pizza at 320 Granby St (old FM or Backstage location). Opening in Aug
Chesapeake Bay Market at 300 E. Main... last word I heard opening late Aug.  I have my doubts as nothing appears to be happening. Inside has been untouched.

Recently Closed:
Muscle Maker Grill at 147 Granby St is currently closed. 
Humboldt Steel at 150 Boush St is closed.  

• Thanks 1

At the city council meeting last night, it was mentioned that Sydney Meers put in a bid to lease Suite 1 in the Selden Arcade. It's the only bid they have received so far. They continued that topic for a later date (the rent proposed in the bid did seem really low). But I'm hopeful they accept. It would be great to get him back in a kitchen full-time and even better to get him in one in downtown Norfolk.

Edited by BeagleAccountant