Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

On 6/12/2019 at 2:21 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

At the city council meeting last night, it was mentioned that Sydney Meers put in a bid to lease Suite 1 in the Selden Arcade. It's the only bid they have received so far. They continued that topic for a later date (the rent proposed in the bid did seem really low). But I'm hopeful they accept. It would be great to get him back in a kitchen full-time and even better to get him in one in downtown Norfolk.

It's official, Sydney is opening Syd's Fish Pig Cafe at Selden Market;

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/article_36521e06-9834-11e9-b544-2f01520c7618.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar&fbclid=IwAR3ehXmpQ7GJIWZqKZUhFqSZWeIFd1L5whEGgyVgwt8hwiXjEwItvU2lBIo

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Formatting

• 1 month later...

This thread isn't very active.  I wonder if anyone knows about any of the following: 

Something is going on at the old Toys R Us location.  Any idea what?
Something is being built by the vacant China Garden restaurant near Military Circle (Military Hwy side) Anyone have the scoop?

And something is being built next to Applebee's where the Friendly's/Boating store was.  Who knows what it is?

Inside Business has article about the small businesses that are slowly but surely moving into Military Circle Mall.  

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/retail/article_ca97817e-bee9-11e9-a999-6f0bd8a081f2.html

This quote is very promising: "On a Thursday afternoon in early August, the mall wasn't completely devoid of life. Customers mosied down to the Cinemark move theater to buy matinee tickets. Others ate in the food court, or got their hair cut at Ashanti’s Hair Studio."

1 hour ago, likeminded said:

This thread isn't very active.  I wonder if anyone knows about any of the following: 

Something is being built by the vacant China Garden restaurant near Military Circle (Military Hwy side) Anyone have the scoop?

And something is being built next to Applebee's where the Friendly's/Boating store was.  Who knows what it is?

Former Toys R Us was purchased by East Coast Appliance and they will be relocating there. 

Chinese Buffet is being redeveloped for an Aldi. 

Friendlys is being redeveloped into a Discount Tire. 

And since we’re along the corridor I’ll add that the parking lot at the entrance of the mall is going to be a car wash. 

24 minutes ago, 23320 said:

Former Toys R Us was purchased by East Coast Appliance and they will be relocating there. 

Chinese Buffet is being redeveloped for an Aldi. 

Friendlys is being redeveloped into a Discount Tire. 

And since we’re along the corridor I’ll add that the parking lot at the entrance of the mall is going to be a car wash. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, likeminded said:

Most of those are just small retail additions/deletions that happen all the time throughout HR/Norfolk. While all these new stores aren't a bad thing...it's just that it happens so frequent we could post these all day long.  

3 hours ago, Willy18 said:

Most of those are just small retail additions/deletions that happen all the time throughout HR/Norfolk. While all these new stores aren't a bad thing...it's just that it happens so frequent we could post these all day long.  

While I do understand that, I kinda feel like that's the whole reason of this thread. Anything larger like a whole new shopping center would probably get its own thread anyway. There is nothing wrong with a 'hey, fyi the old Toys R Us is becoming an East Coast Appliance.' It takes 2 seconds to write and post that.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, 23320 said:

Saw this on Reddit:

“Upscale market with community feel”: Norfolk to now have downtown grocery option - WTKR

Chesapeake Bay Market will open May 1 at 300 E Main (directly across from the Icon). It is described as an “upscale market with a community feel.” It will be 5,000 SF. 

Well, this has clearly been very delayed, if it's even still happening...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, BFG said:

Looks like they're aiming for an opening within the next month...

"(Outdoor Farmer's Market) should start on Sept. 26th or 27th. Indoor Market plans to open Oct. 31st."

Picture of the indoor market as of this morning. On a positive note.... They were stocking the shelves of the ABC Store this morning on Granby.

IMG_20191012_074120251.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things seem to come to a standstill or get cancelled quickly.  The coming soon signs have been taken down at the spot that was supposed to be Chesapeake Bay Market - and nothing is happening in there.
Also, what the heck happened with the Norfolk Food Hall?  It was supposed to open in summer, but it looks like it's barely moving along too.

• Like 1

The food hall's Instagram's been "coming soon" for what seems like forever, but they do have official signs up. The last post mentioned a fall opening. Honestly, I think either one of these should've gone at Waterside, given the space. 

9FD6ED01-1758-4953-A66A-BF5A980FF0BB.jpeg

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BFG said:

The food hall's Instagram's been "coming soon" for what seems like forever, but they do have official signs up. The last post mentioned a fall opening. Honestly, I think either one of these should've gone at Waterside, given the space. 

9FD6ED01-1758-4953-A66A-BF5A980FF0BB.jpeg

The food hall is on the docket tomorrow night for approval of live entertainment. Not sure why that wasn’t taken care of earlier but have to figure it’s just behind schedule like things always seem to be. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, vdogg said:

Not a good week for us news wise, it looks like two businesses in the Ghent area are closing. One of them was a prominent brewery, Coelacanth.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-nw-coelacanth-closing-20191207-xkzee3tkfbalnbw46s6uz4lrum-story.html

Unsurprising. Coelacanth didn't make good enough beer to overcome their lack of a great tasting room. 

• Like 1

I will miss coelacanth, and agree that they had good beers, but this metro is packed with more breweries than I ever imagined we would have. With the amount of brewers we have, there is invitably going to be intense competition, and unfortunately that means that the little guys are going to struggle.  If you dont have anything special to offer, people are going to pass you up for the likes of O'Connor, or Smartmouth. This is capitalism at work. If you look at the fact that brewerys like smart mouth are adding additional locations, it shows that we have a strong beer economy. Maby some day, my family on the west coast can go to the store, and try some el guapo. The beer industry like other industrys has always been a game with winners, and loosers.

6 hours ago, Cjnfkvb said:

I will miss coelacanth, and agree that they had good beers, but this metro is packed with more breweries than I ever imagined we would have. With the amount of brewers we have, there is invitably going to be intense competition, and unfortunately that means that the little guys are going to struggle.  If you dont have anything special to offer, people are going to pass you up for the likes of O'Connor, or Smartmouth. This is capitalism at work. If you look at the fact that brewerys like smart mouth are adding additional locations, it shows that we have a strong beer economy. Maby some day, my family on the west coast can go to the store, and try some el guapo. The beer industry like other industrys has always been a game with winners, and loosers.

Every guy is a "little" guy in the beginning. Then it's sink or swim. Many of the swimmers ("winners"), propelled by their success, choose to grow "big"ger. They succeed by giving the customer a good product at a fair price... in an inviting setting. The rest ("losers") either sink or stagnate.  

Ultimately, it is the customer who votes on the brewery's fate with his/her pocketbook in a direct response to the brewery's product, service, facilities and price. 

Yes, that's Capitalism in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BFG said:

Seeing on Facebook that the Starbucks on Colley Ave., near the NARO, is closing soon. They opened a drive-thru location on Colonial not too long ago. 

Maybe it's just my age...but I never understood the lure of Starbucks. I only go there after I receive the typical holiday gift card. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, BFG said:

Seeing on Facebook that the Starbucks on Colley Ave., near the NARO, is closing soon. They opened a drive-thru location on Colonial not too long ago. 

There’s a coffee shop in the area, that I don’t remember the name of, that is much better than Starbucks that I think the vast majority of students and locals go to. They probably had trouble competing with that. 

27 minutes ago, vdogg said:

There’s a coffee shop in the area that I don’t remember the name of that is much better than Starbucks that I think the vast majority of students and locals go to. They probably had trouble competing with that. 

Fairgrounds. I'm surprised Starbucks lasted so long with it being across the street, myself. Ghent is pretty adamant about supporting local business, but I know Sbux has been there since at least 2003.