Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

19 hours ago, BFG said:

Fairgrounds. I'm surprised Starbucks lasted so long with it being across the street, myself. Ghent is pretty adamant about supporting local business, but I know Sbux has been there since at least 2003.

Feels like EVMS students really kept that location of Starbucks alive. I'm not sure why anyone would go there over Fairgrounds but I always see med students in there studying away.

Once they opened the Colonial location, it didn't make much sense to have another spot in such a tight radius. Only 7/11 can do that in Norfolk and make it work lol.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Conditional use permit applications have been filed for the following businesses.

Ka'lor Lounge, a nightclub at 727 Granby Street. This is the former location of Bearded Bird Brewing in the NEON District.

The Blind Tiger, a restaurant at 259 Granby Street in Downtown. 

Cafe Blanca, a coffee and wine retail shop at 4117 Granby in Riverview. This was last The Taste of Brazil.

All applications will be reviewed at the Feb. 27th planning meeting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(sigh) Kinda figured it didn't look good when they kept pushing back the opening. 

I'm honestly not too optimistic about Granby Station right now. I think the food hall concept should move to Waterside.

I've said this before, but instead of trying to put a Target at MacArthur, I really think city council should try and get a smaller Target in the old Farm Fresh space.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

Some good news for MacArthur (from the Pilot):

“ Versona. The Charlotte-based brand, part of The Cato Corporation’s family of retail stores which include Cato and It’s Fashion, will fill a 7,100 space across from the Michael Kors location on the second level (the former Charming Charlie’s space, perhaps?) sometime in April.”

“The retailer joins Bonilla Pet Studio (a Chesapeake-based photography studio where pets and sometimes their humans along with them are the focus) and arcade GameWorks in opening soon at the mall. Crab Du Jour, a casual Cajun restaurant, will be opening in the first-floor space that had been Max & Erma’s just outside Dillard’s which closed in March 2016.”

But Clark’s shoe store has closed. 

• 1 month later...

The Thirsty Camel in OV caught fire last night/early this morning. I only went there once or twice, but this is a bummer. With that and Greenie's gone, I hope there's a renewed effort to create more nightlife down there. Bold Mariner is nice, but OV Ave. is now pretty limited. They need more than just another four-story apartment building.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the city has control, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s definitely where the arena would go. It’s close to both interstates, and more importantly, not far from the Chesapeake and VB borders. I imagine that would be part of the deal if those two cities were to get on board. 

I’m pleasantly surprised that it was only $11M. I would’ve expected it to be way more. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, 23320 said:

Noticed this in the Richmond thread: Stony Point Fashion Park has new owner after mall's previous owner defaulted on its loan.

The previous owner was Starwood and they purchased it with MacArthur and other malls. Two loans were used and MacArthur is part of the other loan. Could be a sign of things to come. 

The loan partially collateralized by MacArthur Center is also in default. 

• Like 1

So I've heard from a friend that has contact with multiple people in companies that the city is in talks with a large company to buy military with eyes of turning the hotel into offices.

He also mentioned that Amazon has been eyeing more space in and around HR. 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Urbanlooker said:

He also mentioned that Amazon has been eyeing more space in and around HR. 

I imagine they want to have more offices and warehouses as close to the NOVA location as possible. I figured the announcement to go up there would eventually have a trickle-down effect for HR. 

• Like 1

This quote is indicative of the direction they wish to go in the area.

"A 2017 state-funded report completed by the City of Norfolk showed the potential for over 6,000 housing units and 16 million square feet of non-residential development in this corridor. A vision has been for a transit-oriented mixed-use development anchored with institutional and civic uses. The plan showed urban streetscapes, parks, and urban plazas with walkable and bikeable streets."

Here's an article on the acquisition.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-norfolk-buys-hotel-military-circle-20200507-uu3ofy26ynfdfctzpddt7hqqsy-story.html