vdogg

Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

1 hour ago, BFG said:

The food hall's Instagram's been "coming soon" for what seems like forever, but they do have official signs up. The last post mentioned a fall opening. Honestly, I think either one of these should've gone at Waterside, given the space. 

9FD6ED01-1758-4953-A66A-BF5A980FF0BB.jpeg

The food hall is on the docket tomorrow night for approval of live entertainment. Not sure why that wasn’t taken care of earlier but have to figure it’s just behind schedule like things always seem to be. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, vdogg said:

Not a good week for us news wise, it looks like two businesses in the Ghent area are closing. One of them was a prominent brewery, Coelacanth.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-nw-coelacanth-closing-20191207-xkzee3tkfbalnbw46s6uz4lrum-story.html

Unsurprising. Coelacanth didn't make good enough beer to overcome their lack of a great tasting room. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Unsurprising. Coelacanth didn't make good enough beer to overcome their lack of a great tasting room. 

I liked some of their brews. Though the tasting room was nice I think it’s just a bad location. There is little visibility and the lack of parking was a big problem for the first three years as the then owner of the neighboring shopping center often had cars towed. By the time there was a new owner who stopped the towing there was a bad reputation regarding parking. 

• Like 2

I will miss coelacanth, and agree that they had good beers, but this metro is packed with more breweries than I ever imagined we would have. With the amount of brewers we have, there is invitably going to be intense competition, and unfortunately that means that the little guys are going to struggle.  If you dont have anything special to offer, people are going to pass you up for the likes of O'Connor, or Smartmouth. This is capitalism at work. If you look at the fact that brewerys like smart mouth are adding additional locations, it shows that we have a strong beer economy. Maby some day, my family on the west coast can go to the store, and try some el guapo. The beer industry like other industrys has always been a game with winners, and loosers.

6 hours ago, Cjnfkvb said:

I will miss coelacanth, and agree that they had good beers, but this metro is packed with more breweries than I ever imagined we would have. With the amount of brewers we have, there is invitably going to be intense competition, and unfortunately that means that the little guys are going to struggle.  If you dont have anything special to offer, people are going to pass you up for the likes of O'Connor, or Smartmouth. This is capitalism at work. If you look at the fact that brewerys like smart mouth are adding additional locations, it shows that we have a strong beer economy. Maby some day, my family on the west coast can go to the store, and try some el guapo. The beer industry like other industrys has always been a game with winners, and loosers.

Every guy is a "little" guy in the beginning. Then it's sink or swim. Many of the swimmers ("winners"), propelled by their success, choose to grow "big"ger. They succeed by giving the customer a good product at a fair price... in an inviting setting. The rest ("losers") either sink or stagnate.  

Ultimately, it is the customer who votes on the brewery's fate with his/her pocketbook in a direct response to the brewery's product, service, facilities and price. 

Yes, that's Capitalism in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

Seeing on Facebook that the Starbucks on Colley Ave., near the NARO, is closing soon. They opened a drive-thru location on Colonial not too long ago. 

13 hours ago, BFG said:

Seeing on Facebook that the Starbucks on Colley Ave., near the NARO, is closing soon. They opened a drive-thru location on Colonial not too long ago. 

Maybe it's just my age...but I never understood the lure of Starbucks. I only go there after I receive the typical holiday gift card. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, BFG said:

There’s a coffee shop in the area, that I don’t remember the name of, that is much better than Starbucks that I think the vast majority of students and locals go to. They probably had trouble competing with that. 

27 minutes ago, vdogg said:

There’s a coffee shop in the area that I don’t remember the name of that is much better than Starbucks that I think the vast majority of students and locals go to. They probably had trouble competing with that. 

Fairgrounds. I'm surprised Starbucks lasted so long with it being across the street, myself. Ghent is pretty adamant about supporting local business, but I know Sbux has been there since at least 2003.

19 hours ago, BFG said:

Fairgrounds. I'm surprised Starbucks lasted so long with it being across the street, myself. Ghent is pretty adamant about supporting local business, but I know Sbux has been there since at least 2003.

Feels like EVMS students really kept that location of Starbucks alive. I'm not sure why anyone would go there over Fairgrounds but I always see med students in there studying away.

Once they opened the Colonial location, it didn't make much sense to have another spot in such a tight radius. Only 7/11 can do that in Norfolk and make it work lol.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

The owner/chef of Blanca will be opening a second business soon in the former Taste of Brazil location on Granby Street in the Riverview  Village area. This restaurant will be Cafe Blanca, a coffee shop that serves breakfast and lunch and sells retail wine (once approved for their CUP).

Conditional use permit applications have been filed for the following businesses.

Ka'lor Lounge, a nightclub at 727 Granby Street. This is the former location of Bearded Bird Brewing in the NEON District.

The Blind Tiger, a restaurant at 259 Granby Street in Downtown. 

Cafe Blanca, a coffee and wine retail shop at 4117 Granby in Riverview. This was last The Taste of Brazil.

All applications will be reviewed at the Feb. 27th planning meeting.

Tomorrow at 430, Coach House opens on North Colley in the former Chow space.

They've done a lot of good work on this property, even repaving the small parking lot. The chef/owners come from No Frill Ghent. This should be a great addition to Norfolk and is hopefully there for the long run.

• Like 1

Another grocery store option bites the dust. From the last DNCL

”e. The anticipated Chesapeake Grocery Store on Main St. is now off the table. But the
Granby Station development across from the Hilton is still planned for the spring.”

(sigh) Kinda figured it didn't look good when they kept pushing back the opening. 

I'm honestly not too optimistic about Granby Station right now. I think the food hall concept should move to Waterside.

I've said this before, but instead of trying to put a Target at MacArthur, I really think city council should try and get a smaller Target in the old Farm Fresh space.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

Some good news for MacArthur (from the Pilot):

“ Versona. The Charlotte-based brand, part of The Cato Corporation’s family of retail stores which include Cato and It’s Fashion, will fill a 7,100 space across from the Michael Kors location on the second level (the former Charming Charlie’s space, perhaps?) sometime in April.”

“The retailer joins Bonilla Pet Studio (a Chesapeake-based photography studio where pets and sometimes their humans along with them are the focus) and arcade GameWorks in opening soon at the mall. Crab Du Jour, a casual Cajun restaurant, will be opening in the first-floor space that had been Max & Erma’s just outside Dillard’s which closed in March 2016.”

But Clark’s shoe store has closed.