Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

7 hours ago, BFG said:

While certainly not the primary cause or even a major cause of the mall’s decline, such high-profile violent incidents have definitely factored in to the once-vaunted MacArthur Center’s overall viability calculus. Indeed, we can’t simply ignore the fact that there have been actual gun battles—inside of the mall—you know, as in bullets buzzing past mom, dad and baby. Retailers are keenly aware of these nefarious activities, and so too are their customers.

I used to frequent MacArthur Center nearly every day, at all times of the day, and I never felt unsafe. However, the casual customer and infrequent visitor need only hear or read about one incident like this, and they’re done. Additionally, at the risk of reinforcing gender stereotypes, I’m also a male.  Females, often highly security-conscious relative to males, predominate in shopping environments.

The myriad other reasons for the mall’s decline are real and are well-documented here, and so I won’t expound upon the subject matter. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apple store closing news, plus local economist hints at the imminent  demise of Dillard’s @MacArthur Center—the Arkansas-based retailer’s official East Coast flagship store and the nicest and largest department store of any retailer between Tysons and Raleigh.  He also says that once Dillard’s goes, so goes the mall. 

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/apple-store-at-macarthur-center-to-permanently-close/

Edited by baobabs727

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Qdeathstar said:

Off topic but why are there so many pinnned topics? There are topics that haven’t been posted in in a decade that are pinned....

I’m honestly not sure what you’re referring to. The only pinned topics are the construction threads and the off-topic thread. The off-topic thread is pinned so that people can easily see where to put off-topic discussion. The construction threads are pinned so that people can easily see the status of a particular project, which helps reduce forum clutter from people posting the same question multiple times. Construction threads are pinned when each project is proposed and begins working it’s way through the planning process. They are unpinned when construction is complete. There are no pinned threads that haven’t had posts in 10 years. Threads are automatically archived by forum software if there haven’t been new posts in  5 years.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:35 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

This is pretty exciting. The space is pretty cool. Location is great. And Codex makes some great food. 

Codex has posted some photos on their construction progress in this space. It doesn’t look like much is changing from the space we all remember as Field Guide;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3FBc1hlAK/?utm_medium=copy_link

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

Inside Business reporting in their public records summary that Tesla has signed a lease for the former Priority Ford location on Military Highway near the Little Creek intersection.  

Tesla is doing good business in Norfolk. They just finished installing a new set of superchargers at a Wawa station near Norview.

10 hours ago, BFG said:

A dealership. I seem to remember it being controversial about 5 years ago. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2016/03/10/tesla-virginia-dealership-lawsuit/amp/

Ahh, yes. Nice find. I do remember this. Would have been better on Laskin. Quite a few Teslas down there. Perhaps that property has long since been leased to someone else. 

• 2 months later...

A new mini-market opened in Olde Huntersville back in August. This is great IMO, and I hope it leads to continued revitalization of that area. It's a neighborhood that gets a lot of negative press and deserves the same revamp we've seen in Park Place.

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/consumer/vp-bz-turners-market-1013-20211013-sla4x563yfdfnlf6jeamtpt5xy-story.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Love their coffee and their company’s ethos!  I’ve have their Silencer Smooth light roast, the medium Freedom Roast, Tactisquatch (you just have to see the picture :) ), to their Just Black dark roast and more.  Great coffees.  

Any movement on their store coming to VB Blvd and Davis st. In VB?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re:  the article

For a long time I have been of the opinion that there is not a single honest broker in Norfolk City government or in the Norfolk downtown retail consultancy classes.  Whether it be Military Circle or MacArthur Center or Nordstrom or Downtown proper, Waterside, etc., they continually get it wrong. The question is, are they intentionally lying or are they simply incompetent? 

Folks, we must face the hard facts, as again I've been saying for a very long time:  there is a deep-seeded structural issue in Downtown retail which is unique to Downtown when compared to her peers in HR, RVA, C'ville, etc  Just take a look at the market reports for Downtown retail vacancies and other submarket retail vacancies for Hampton Roads, Richmond and Charlottesville. * See Links below. * What jumps off the page at you about these reports? Anything? Especially in light of the article in pilotnline and the downtown Norfolk vacancy rate as reported in the most recent HR Retail report, below.

But of course no one will tell you the truth . No one will tell you that Downtown Norfolk has a retail problem not entirely explained by any fundamental shift in the global economy or in retail shopping patterns. Fact is that for the most part, retail vacancies for our sister cities here and other regions with a downtown are in the low to low-mid single digits. As in not 30% or 20 or even 10.  No.  More like 3,4,5! Shocking.

So the talking head politicians and consultants here can repeat their convenient, over-utilized, intellectually-lazy mantras of "it's the new economy, stupid" or "it's the internet or Amazon, stupid"... or "it's  millennials and Z'ers playing too many video games, stupid", or "we are over retailed and malls are dying, stupid,"  'til they're effing blue in the face, but all of that boilerplate, reflexively ignorant blather will never explain the full picture here in Downtown, nor the aforementioned startling  vacancy discrepancies with VB, RVA, C'ville, etc.  

Indeed, it is clear that somehow those other markets and submarkets appear to be doing just fine despite all of the acute and long-term, structural challenges that actually do threaten the future of brick and mortar retail around the nation.

But what of Norfolk? Why is she struggling so mightily when compared to her peers? Is it Crime? Racism?  Hesitant and fearful shoppers from prosperous and heavily-populated VB and Chesapeake refusing to frequent DT? Ineffective, apathetic or incompetent City leadership? Blame-shifting and finger-pointing?Neglectful or lackadaisical DT commercial property owners? Parking issues? Lack of a youthful, affluent, downtown residential population? An underutilized waterfront? Inadequate Urban planning? f

City Council:  Please stop with the well-worn, snatched-from-the-headlines cliches and figure it out. 

HamptonRoads_Americas_Alliance_MarketBeat_Retail_Q22022_FINAL.pdf Richmond_Americas_Alliance_MarketBeat_Retail_Q2_2022.pdf July 2022 Vacancy Report.pdf

Edited by baobabs727