Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Well seems like the Port City Java that was planned for Granby Street is no longer on the table. From what I heard the other night, the spot was too far gone for the franchisee to fix. I am not sure if it's still there, but there was a poster advertising its arrival in January 06. It's an old beauty parlour that is in the same block as the Backstage Cafe.

Well seems like the Port City Java that was planned for Granby Street is no longer on the table. From what I heard the other night, the spot was too far gone for the franchisee to fix. I am not sure if it's still there, but there was a poster advertising its arrival in January 06. It's an old beauty parlour that is in the same block as the Backstage Cafe.

That's terrible news. :( If the space is too far gone for anyone to renovate, I wonder what they're going to do with it. :unsure:

What building on Granby are we talking about?

Has anyone heard about a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins combo store opening on Granby.

I think I read that somewhere in the last week or two, but I don't remember where.

On Granby???? I would rather see a Cold Stone on Granby. I guess that would be cool too. I figured they would have on put some unique or local stores on Granby.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week in design review

Encroachments

a. 22nd Street, Palace Station; rehabilitation of existing, new construction of retail complex and encroachment of awnings (preliminary review)

Don't know what type of retail and how urban this may be, sounds interesting but don't get too excited yet. I'll have to look for some follow up info.

Two Stores in MacArthur Center Close

According to the Virginian Pilot, two stores have closed at MacArthur Center. The Timberland store and Franklin Covey. I would tend to believe that this is merely routine and is not part of a larger trend.

This comes on the heels of 2 other store closures just last month, both of those due to bankruptcy I believe and not necessarily their location. It seems as though everytime the pilot reports about the mall it's something bad though. Hopefully this is not a trend. BTW, your link is broken.

Timberland had the same problem that Tommy Hilfiger had...you can get all their stuff in all the major department stores throughout the area.

Plus Timberland representatives said that their store is not by any means failing, they just didn't renew their lease because the company is focusing on strengthening their market in the Chicago and New York areas. Considering that practically everyone under age 35 around here has at least one pair of Tim's despite the lack of mountain or treacherous terrain, Timberland has little worry about having to strengthening their brand in our area.

Considering that practically everyone under age 35 around here has at least one pair of Tim's despite the lack of mountain or treacherous terrain, Timberland has little worry about having to strengthening their brand in our area.

LOL I five pair, two of which only see any action in the dirt.

I rather make a pit stop in W'burg and get a pair of Timberlands at their outlet. Way cheaper. I just used mine for the snow.

Anyway, according to the latest DNC newsletter, Bobbywood is coming back and this time to downtown. The old Ward's Corner location was great.

City working to appease downtown resturant owners

Restaurant owners in downtown Norfolk saw red when they opened the newspaper and learned that the city planned to subsidize a restaurant at the proposed hotel and convention center at the corner of Main and Granby streets.

What fired up the restaurateurs was that a first-floor restaurant, widely believed to be a Morton

It looks like the city is willing to work with them. Both sides seem to be understanding and the city admitted it was unintentional and that they would inquire the restaurant community on Granby before subsiziding a chain restaurant. I must say though that while we have a lot of local only restaurants on Granby I think it would help and benefit everyone if we had some chain restaurants peppered along Granby St. I don't think we have to limit chain restaurants to just locate at MacArthur Mall or Waterside if they really want to go to Granby. I'm not saying go Town Center style on Granby, but I think it would be good for all.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Circuit City, my cousin works at the Circuit City in Va Beach (town center area). He said they are going to be completely renovating the store in the near future and rumor has it that they will add a second story.

I'm going to keep on him about that to see if any truth comes out of the rumor.