Chesapeake Towne Center

vdogg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that center looks just like the center Chesapeake already has with Barnes and Noble and Target located there. I would not call it urban in any way. And looking at this rendering I see no housing located there. Looks like any shopping center to me. The only difference I see is this center is in an oval (like the Target one) instead of a strip but that does not make it 'urban' imo.

ctelev.jpg

Site plan in PDF

LOL, it looks just like the crap in southern Va. Beach.

pedestrian-friendly environment
What a load of crap. Take a look at the site plan, does that make you want to get out and walk? When are these developers going to get it?

Vdogg, please don't make a construction project thread for this garbage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had no intention of it. We have standards for what we consider urban developments here at UP and this simply doesn't cut it. The reason I posted this is that Chesapeake is trying to compare theirs to NN and Va. Beachs to which there is no comparison whatsoever.

Unlike other area lifestyle centers, Towne Place will not include condominiums to provide housing for its clientele. More than 85,000 people already live within three miles of the Greenbrier area, city officials said. Therefore, in Greenbrier, Chesapeake already has what Virginia Beach and Newport News are trying to create with their lifestyle centers, Harris and other city officials said.

That is by far my favorite paragraph from the article. TC has 121,000 peopole living within 3 miles, yet they're building condos and apartments. What a lame excuse. And what is a "lifestyle" center? It's a shopping center, plain and simple. Chesapeake shouldn't try to glorify it.

170,000 square feet...

Town Center my @$$. This thing is pretty sad. Unless it has a Gucci in it what the hell kind of attention is this thing supposed to draw? Our new Kohl's in Newport News is more exciting... <_<

Maybe I'm being a bit negative... but this is FAR from the traditional definition of a town center. Call it "Chesapeake Crossing" or "Chesapeake Towne Shoppes" or some generic shopping center name. If they think this is remotely similar to TC in Virginia Beach or the Oyster Point City Center, they're confused at best.

And excellent analogy Rockin the Suburbs and welcome to the forum!

170,000 square feet...

Town Center my @$$.  This thing is pretty sad.  Unless it has a Gucci in it what the hell kind of attention is this thing supposed to draw?  Our new Kohl's in Newport News is more exciting...  <_<

Maybe I'm being a bit negative... but this is FAR from the traditional definition of a town center.  Call it "Chesapeake Crossing" or "Chesapeake Towne Shoppes" or some generic shopping center name.  If they think this is remotely similar to TC in Virginia Beach or the Oyster Point City Center, they're confused at best.

And excellent analogy Rockin the Suburbs and welcome to the forum!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well lets give them some credit for some development. They have been sitting stale for so long. This is better than nothing. But it is no Town Center! :rolleyes:

Well lets give them some credit for some development. They have been sitting stale for so long. This is better than nothing. But it is no Town Center! :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually no... I'd prefer a big plate of nothing!! :sick:

Chesapeake may have lost their Urban Planet Playa's card over this one... is there a Suburban Planet out there somewhere in cyberspace. :rofl:

Actually no... I'd prefer a big plate of nothing!!  :sick:

Chesapeake may have lost their Urban Planet Playa's card over this one... is there a Suburban Planet out there somewhere in cyberspace.  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG! I was so thinking that today! I was like "I wish there were a suburban planet forum I could ship this crap off too." :lol: (If you notice, they have nothing in the HR projects listing because they have absolutely no urban developments. C'mon people, if Suffolk can do it you can too. :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived