The end of New Orleans?

colin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats funny here, however, is unlike New York, these are "red-state" people as our FOX News friends might say... how could he turn he be so slow to respond to these very same people who were quick to vote him into office??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He probably did not get many votes out of New Orleans, which coincidently is where most of the people are dying.

From monsoon's earlier link:

"As an anthropologist, it is apparent that what is happening in the American South is the result of a "perfect storm". It is not only a natural disaster but also a human disaster. For the last past 25 years the Republican political strategy called "starve the beast" has reduced spending on the public sector while enriching the private sector. This intensifies not only socioeconomic inequities, but also intensifies the decay of critical public infrastructure like roads, schools, hospitals, and even levees. Citizens still have the expectation that the public sector (government) will take care of them, while the people in power expect the private sector to replace the public sector in disaster relief. "

"I cannot believe I am witnessing the horrifying and desperate images of devastation on one of the last superpowers on earth. This will undo George Bush in a way an act of terrorism never can. The cruel abandonment of desperate and dying Americans surely hasn't been decided on skin colour, has it? Liberty must be on her knees hanging her head in shame."

Um, and that is?.....

I'm referring to his proactive decisions, or lack thereof, and his current reactions. He wasn't proactive with what needed to be done prior to the hurricane, and now he wants to pass the buck. My response is not callous, it's just a point of fact. That's fine to send out an SOS, and I understand that, but he has given his citizens no comfort or relief in what he says. All he wants to do is wait for the feds to come and fix everything. He has not taken any responsibility or used his own resources. Sheesh, the mayor of Baton Rouge said that they're waiting for federal response because they just "can't go into the city or state reserves...we need that money."  :blink: WTF??!?! You use city, county, and state reserves for exactly this kind of situation.

^I see your point, I'd expect the City of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana to do what it can first... before I'd move ahead and complain about federal aid... but look at the situation... law and order in New Orleans has broken down, infrastructure has broken down, information systems have broken down... there is little anyone in New Orleans or most of Louisiana can do for themselves which is why the federal government should make it #1 priority to help these people.

It is not the fault of the Mayor that he fell in love with a city built below sea level... it shouldn't fall soley on his shoulders to be proactive, he ordered a MANDATORY evacuation, which I know isn't much for people who can't depart for matter of resources, but what else could he do?

If you were mayor, what would you do?

Archived