The Bloom Experiment

jb4563

Anyone with any inside info know about how the Bloom experiment is going?

I just saw they have put banners outside them that say "Come Experience Bloom" or something to that effect. Seems a little late be putting the banners out....are they having trouble attracting business (or extra business)?

And, I saw the Charlotte Observer is asking people to contact them that shop at Bloom...so they are probably about to do a story on Bloom.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was a solution looking for a problem.  I would rather Foodlion spend the money to operate cleaner stores and improve the quality of the staff they have, rather than hand people a computer terminal to make it easier  to buy a can of beans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, and the few times I have been in Bloom, I think I was the only one using the hand scanner.

Ok, to recap this concept.

I walk in, get a handheld scanner, then scan all of my own food, bag it myself, but still pay the same price as the people who have someone else scan it and bag it for them?

Why should I pay the same to receive less service?

I do like the receipe kiosks. If Food Lion wants to compete, make all of your stores look like Whole Foods, hire friendly people, PAY THEM well, and fire the bitter, lazy slobs that make customers feel unwelcome.

I would gladly pay an extra 5$ per visit to have a more pleasant experience. Surely there is a business model that would allow for a clean store and employees that make a decent wage.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, to recap this concept.

I walk in, get a handheld scanner, then scan all of my own food, bag it myself, but still pay the same price as the people who have someone else scan it and bag it for them?

Why should I pay the same to receive less service?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's no less service than you get using U-Scans and I love those. I have to admit that when I go grocery shopping, I try very hard to not have any interaction whatsoever with the employees. It is much easier and faster for me to scan and bad myself. Plus, if I wait in a regular line, I usually end up having to bag myself anyway because they don't have enough people working (at HT anyway).

I also wanted to point out that you don't have to use the handheld scanners--you can still go through a regular line and have them scan for you. It's just another option for shoppers.

The deviant in me wants to know, what if I "accidentially" forget to scan one (or 10) of the items in my cart?

As a side note, do you get a discount for beached fish at a Bloom?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They allegedly do random checks of the merchandise at the register to make sure no one is taking things he didn't scan. I've only been there a couple times, but I didn't see any checks.

i've never been to bloom, but i just assumed they weighed your cart at the end like they do with the bags a U-scan in teeters. that is crazy if they don't, although perhaps they figure what they save on checkout facilities would more than cover a couple random things unscanned. they also might monitor that with vid-cameras on the isles to make sure they spot anyone who is not scanning their stuff.

• 4 months later...

Archived