North Carolina Biotech Research Campus

orulz

the recently built passenger train station is right across the street from this, so it seems like it will be an eventuality to have some sort of commuter rail.

does anyone know (orulz) if the SEHSR will have a schedule that could accommodate commuters?  it seems that once HSR improvements are made on that corridor, that timing some trains to be acceptable to commuters would be a good move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SEHSR will not stop at the Kannapolis station. After Charlotte the first stop is Lexington, then Greensboro with a spur to Winston. Only the Piedmont and Carolinean stop there (NCDOT) but they don't have the right timings from commuters.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

qoutes of emphasis:

In an exclusive interview with the Observer, Murdock called the project "the love of my life." He said it will help transform the town and spur economic growth around the state.

"It'll have a massive impact," said Murdock, who owns Dole Food Co. and Castle & Cooke Inc. developers. "We hope it'll become one of the greatest scientific areas in the world

That is a bold stateement from a guy with a proven track record and the money to back up his talk.

A2

I am thinking more along the lines of 3000-5000 jobs over the next decade. That figure might be modest though with further development likely aloing the periphery of the mass development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you were insanely lucky and got ridership up to 10%, that means 500 potential riders on the train. I just don't think the Feds and the State would take a proposal like that seriously considering the amount of money it takes to build a commuter line, even done on the cheap. You will never see it.

If you were insanely lucky and got ridership up to 10%, that means 500 potential riders on the train.  I just don't think the Feds and the State would take a proposal like that seriously considering the amount of money it takes to build a commuter line, even done on the cheap.  You will never see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

500 additional reverse commuters on a line that has strong "with traffic" ridership doesn't seem like a waste to me.

The research space is very small for a supposed "biopolis". 1.2 mil sq. feet is actually smaller than the EPA building in RTP (1.5 mil.sq. feet) which has about 2000 employees. As I predicted Duke pulled out of the deal as well. The research component of this deal is even more shaky after the announcement. It may be a nice mixed use development and help the economy but will not be a sustainable and growing research facility which is a shame-it just didn't have the proper planning and creative input. I wonder if any researchers were even involved in this process.

19th century architecture for a cutting-edge research center-give me a break.

The SEHSR will not stop at the Kannapolis station.  After Charlotte the first stop is Lexington, then Greensboro with a spur to Winston.  Only the Piedmont and Carolinean stop there (NCDOT) but they don't have the right timings from commuters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Carolinian has pretty good timing for commuters going from Charlotte to Kannapolis and back. Leaves Charlotte at 7:50, gets to Kannapolis at 8:17. In the evening, it leaves at 7:33 arriving in Charlotte at 8:10. That's a bit late going back in the evening, but it gives you the option of either working late or grabbing a bite to eat and a beer before you head home.

If you use a multi-ride ticket, it's $6.80 for a round trip, which is very reasonable.

I should also mention that NCDOT wants to have *five* daily round trips by 2010, instead of just two.

The research space is very small for a supposed "biopolis". 1.2 mil sq. feet is actually smaller than the EPA building in RTP (1.5 mil.sq. feet) which has about 2000 employees. As I predicted Duke pulled out of the deal as well. The research component of this deal is even more shaky after the announcement. It may be a nice mixed use development and help the economy but will not be a sustainable and growing research facility which is a shame-it just didn't have the proper planning and creative input. I wonder if any researchers were even involved in this process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DanRNC, no offence personally, you are totally warped in your thinking about the size and scope of what will be happening OVERALL.

You are not using your head with respect to the future development that will start around the periphery of this development. This proposal is over a $1,000,000,000 dollar investment.

The research component is HUGE. No one is knocking the RTP area as a meca for bio-tech, but are complimenting it. The two proposals will benifit ALL of NC. This argument of yours sounds kind of like a Charlotte versus Raleigh thing. You are being naive about the scope of this.

As a side note, the state has coined this as one of the largest developments in the entire states history.

Small scale Research project, I think not.

BTW, Duke would be CRAZY not to jump on board. They have everything to gain with most of the money being put up for the project coming from Murdock himself.

Actually, the Carolinian has pretty good timing for commuters going from Charlotte to Kannapolis and back. Leaves Charlotte at 7:50, gets to Kannapolis at 8:17. In the evening, it leaves at 7:33 arriving in Charlotte at 8:10. That's a bit late going back in the evening, but it gives you the option of either working late or grabbing a bite to eat and a beer before you head home.

If you use a multi-ride ticket, it's $6.80 for a round trip, which is very reasonable.

I should also mention that NCDOT wants to have *five* daily round trips by 2010, instead of just two.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Amtrak site does not show the Carolinean stopping in Kannapolis in both directions when attempting to make a reservation which would make it impossible for commuting. The $8 fare, is also not very competitive for some, but a few might decide to take this route assuming they can deal with the very long turn around and Amtrak's problems with scheduling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more. Nothing says "cutting-edge research" like palladian windows and columns.

As far as traffic goes, Kannapolis is already a fairly large town with a large work-force. Perhaps the people who will work at the new facility could actually live there, too. What a concept that would be.

The Amtrak site does not show the Carolinean stopping in Kannapolis in both directions when attempting to make a reservation which would make it impossible for commuting.  The $8 fare, is also not very competitive for some, but a few might decide to take this route assuming they can deal with the very long turn around and Amtrak's problems with scheduling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Problems with scheduling, you're right on the money. The southbound Carolinian averages between 30 and 60 minutes late, but sometimes it's on time, and sometimes it's as much as two hours behind. Amtrak (and the state of Virginia - that's where the problems are) would have to fix that before it would be a viable option.

However the Carolinian definitely does stop in Kannapolis in both directions (to pick passengers up as well as drop them off). Are you sure you're not looking at the schedule for today? The Amtrak reservations system doesn't let you see trains that have already departed.

And once again, if you use the multi-ride tickets you get a 15% discount so it's $6.80 round-trip. No more expensive than gas, and less stressful than driving- but also a lot less convenient.

Anyway, speculating about this is a useless excercise until the plans are finalized and the complex is actually under construction.

You are correct. I looked at today's schedule.

But the potential return to CLT at say 9pm is going to be a big deterrent from use. I guess there isn't a lot they can do about this since the train originated in NYC and there are a lot of potential problems on the way.

I tend to agree that most people choosing to work at this place, may end up living there too.

my thoughts on commuter rail/amtrak are more long term... if the murdock development stabilizes the massive bleeding of jobs and residents in the kannapolis, then it stabilizes the economy of that town/city (which obviously the whole point of this project is to have people living and working in kannapolis).

However, once the town is stable and growing, kannapolis' economy will only grow more intertwined as a satellite city to charlotte, which will mean commuters going to and from charlotte. My thoughts are that commuter rail will not be at all likely in the next 20 years, but possibly after... but in the meantime, planned amtrak improvements creates an option for charlotte-kannapolis rail commutes, although less than ideal.

Obviously we all hope that people working in this project will live in kannapolis... but it that may not be possible for many families. When spouses both work and in different places, they choose to live where ever mutually convenient. I live downtown because my wife commuted to south charlotte (and now to east charlotte), and i commute to north charlotte. I actually wonder if concord will see a lot of the economic benefit of this murdock project (and spin off/multiplier development), as families might split the difference to be convenient to jobs in kannapolis and charlotte.

Metro, such language!

Back to the architecture. I know that Cannon Village is built on the Williamsburg model, but we don't have to get stuck in the past.

I really don't mean to harp on this, but when will people learn that old and new, modern and classical can complement one another. Besides, when Cannon Village was built in the 1940s and 50s, they still used decent building materials for Classicism. Now cornice work is EFIS, keystones are EFIS, everything is bloody EFIS. At least with a decent modern structure, we get steel, concrete and glass (usually).

Excuse me, but I was replying to DanRNC's comments.  My post was being sarcastic.  Your are extremely rude.

I never said any one was better than the other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly who your words were directed to.

You know. go look in the mirror if you want to see rude. We try to provide a free forum, for everyone's use and don't need troublemakers stirrup up the pot. Your words are there in english and from where I stand you were trying to pick a fight. I am not going to allow that.

Since you are an unprofessional moderator (professional moderators handle things privately) and like to handle everything in public, I wil let you know that I have reported you to Neo.

You obviously cannot read.

Actually monsoon can read, and read quite well. He has been with us since the beginning and has been an integral part in creating this site to what it is today. I refuse to go against monsoon on this issue and encourage you to consider this a case closed. Mouthing off an admin will get you absolutely nowhere here.

off topic NEO..

Was this site started on August 6th 03??? (I am going by your membership date)

The only reason I ask that is because of your mentioning of MB being with you from the beginning...(I again am assuming that this was the "beginning")

If so, I am a happy man as that is my Birthday! I am glad that I can share my B'day with UP!!!

B)

A2

Seriously guys, this is the best thread ever. Included here:

- altrvr and dubone discussing transit

- orulz providing insight with a state-wide perspective

- Miesian Corners is enraged over uninspired architecture

- A2 is being the group optimist/cheerleader

- a Charlotte vs. Raleigh crap-slinging contest

- monsoon is threatening banning

- Neo reinforcing subjugation via the boot-heel of admin status

Somebody get StevenRocks in here to cover the retail angle.

off topic NEO..

Was this site started on August 6th 03??? (I am going by your membership date)

The only reason I ask that is because of your mentioning of MB being with you from the beginning...(I again am assuming that this was the "beginning")

If so, I am a happy man as that is my Birthday! I am glad that I can share my B'day with UP!!!

B)

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you were born in 2003? you look older than that :).

Archived