North Carolina Biotech Research Campus

orulz

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more. Nothing says "cutting-edge research" like palladian windows and columns.

As far as traffic goes, Kannapolis is already a fairly large town with a large work-force. Perhaps the people who will work at the new facility could actually live there, too. What a concept that would be.

I'm certain that cutting edge research doesnt occur in the antiquated halls of Harvard or Yale either...

Here is Yale's new Engineering Research Center that is designed by Cesar Pelli (who doesn't do classicism)

2005_06_27_erb.jpg

And the new Yale's Chemistry Research Building (yes it's brick, but they're not trying to look old)

OCT24007.jpg

Here is the newest research building at Harvard Medical School (opened in 2003)

NRB_joemartin2.jpg

here is a model of the same building.

HMS_R2.jpg

Here is Harvard's new Chemistry building (completed in 2002)

b_nait2.jpg

Who knows....maybe these prestigious schools got tired of having to clear off the ivy.

Here is Yale's new Engineering Research Center that is designed by Cesar Pelli (who doesn't do classicism)

Who knows....maybe these prestigious schools got tired of having to clear off the ivy.

They've an established reputation, lesser institutions, I'm guessing, don't dare stray from a very sober formula to ensure they're taken seriously. The need enough old looking buildings to appear established and venerable.

This whole development is great news for Kannapolis. Granted the new building is nothing remarkable to look at, but it fits the character in K-town to a T. Whats even better for the people that lost their jobs with Pillowtex is the opportunity to have a job again. It might be the lower paying jobs, but its something for these people(many of whom have never graduated). And who knows, it may inspire some of them to go back to school.

The long term effects on K-town and the whole region will be substantial.

• 1 month later...

I saw something recently, though, that says they'll have a building there. I thought it was UNC Charlotte that was late to the game.

UNCC is building a new research facility right down the road from there. It's close enough to benefit from whatever happens at the Kannapolis site. No doubt that many of the people who may end up working at the Murdoch center will end up going to UNCC as well.

UNCC is building a new research facility right down the road from there. It's close enough to benefit from whatever happens at the Kannapolis site. No doubt that many of the people who may end up working at the Murdoch center will end up going to UNCC as well.

So on campus, that would be Duke, UNC Chapel Hill and NC State?

I think DanRNC is correct. Duke has pulled out of this.

They are focusing on the more lucritive industry of treating people after they are sick, rather than nutrition research to keep people healthy. There is no money to be made off of healthy people :).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived