Help New Orleans

mandrws1

I cannot believe that the government is asking for Americans' donations to help in New Orleans. We spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a senseless war, give billions in aid to countries all over the world, & help tsunami victims, but we can't move in swiftly to get the people out of there and start rebuilding?! This is so pitiful! This administration ought to be ashamed of what is happening.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot believe that the government is asking for Americans' donations to help in New Orleans.  We spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a senseless war, give billions in aid to countries all over the world, & help tsunami victims, but we can't move in swiftly to get the people out of there and start rebuilding?!  This is so pitiful!  This administration ought to be ashamed of what is happening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember joining this forum as a place to hear political rants...I believe we should keep our minds focused on the rebuilding effort and the urban progression of Tennessee rather than President Bush. Perhaps you can start an Iraq forum with other members who are using Katrina as a platform to hate the Bush administration even more.

I agree. People have every right to air their opinions, but I'd like to think they'd use the proper stage. SSP seems to have taken the stance of political opinion, party alliances, and rants. This will find a home there. You'll find the Bush-blaming contingent quite strong there. In the meantime, what's wrong with talking about a few of the bright spots in our community? I'd like to think this is the place.

I agree. People have every right to air their opinions, but I'd like to think they'd use the proper stage.  SSP seems to have taken the stance of political opinion, party alliances, and rants. This will find a home there. You'll find the Bush-blaming contingent quite strong there. In the meantime, what's wrong with talking about a few of the bright spots in our community? I'd like to think this is the place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with Dave!

True, its nice to reflect only on the good here in our city, but if we take a second from our privaleged lives to hold the President responsible for the neglectful response to the disaster in New Orleans then thats okay with me. People are fighting for their lives down there, and they haven't gotten the help they need. The only thing we have to worry about is high gas prices and I would feel guilty complaining about that--at least we have our homes, jobs and livelihoods.

While I feel that the response by the federal government has been small thus far, I don't feel like I have a right to place full fault on them. In our country, with our style of government, the federal government is not meant to do everything--it is an agent of the people. We all have a responsibility since we all have a voice. Our voice is not merely a vote in some election. Our voice is most found in our actions--how we live, work, and play--how we uphold or break the law--how we protest and argue for change--how we treat our fellow Americans and how we respond in their time of dire need. This is not a time for us to watch in horror and expect the government to fix everything nor is it a time for us to criticize efforts or lack thereof. This crisis is not only our government's problem--it is America's problem, and we as Americans should stand up and give of whatever we can. Whether it be time, manpower, money, shelter, food, provisions, prayers, encouragement, tears, an ear to listen, or whatever we can muster, the time is now.

I apologize to say that I have not done what I can.

While I feel that the response by the federal government has been small thus far, I don't feel like I have a right to place full fault on them.  In our country, with our style of government, the federal government is not meant to do everything--it is an agent of the people.  We all have a responsibility since we all have a voice.  Our voice is not merely a vote in some election.  Our voice is most found in our actions--how we live, work, and play--how we uphold or break the law--how we protest and argue for change--how we treat our fellow Americans and how we respond in their time of dire need.  This is not a time for us to watch in horror and expect the government to fix everything nor is it a time for us to criticize efforts or lack thereof.  This crisis is not only our government's problem--it is America's problem, and we as Americans should stand up and give of whatever we can.  Whether it be time, manpower, money, shelter, food, provisions, prayers, encouragement, tears, an ear to listen, or whatever we can muster, the time is now. 

I apologize to say that I have not done what I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said, qwertycc.

You guys are totally correct. I was reading the New Orleans newspaper online and many believe that the city will lay in ruin. Looking at the pictures of all of the destruction just kind of took me by surprise. I initially didn't think it was that bad. I think it would be ashame to let all of that history, architecture, and culture dwindle away. From now on, I will keep my political thoughts off of this forum. Sorry.

Archived