Plans revised for Wal-Mart

DigitalSky

this proposed store is about 10 miles from the supercenter at Brookshire and Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...an/12530151.htm

JEFFERSON GEORGE

Staff Writer

Plans for a Wal-Mart Supercenter in eastern Lincoln County will be revised after engineers for the retail giant withdrew the current proposal Tuesday. Partly in response to concerns raised by nearby residents, the new development proposal will be presented to county commissioners at a public hearing Oct. 3.

"It will be a better plan for everybody," said Tim Campbell of AC&S Engineering and Surveying, Wal-Mart's engineering firm.

Regarding traffic congestion, the store's appearance and other concerns expressed by residents, Campbell said the new proposal will address them "as much as we can."

"We didn't address everything," he said, "but I think we've addressed the major issues."

Commissioners were scheduled to vote Sept. 12 on the original rezoning request, which proposed a Supercenter on N.C. 73 between the existing N.C. 16 and the new, four-lane N.C. 16 being built to the west.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The super walmart on mount holly-huntersville road isnt 24 hours anymore, normal store hours are now from 7am - 9pm. I suppose business for them has not been as good as they have anticipated.

wow... you don't hear hours like that for Supercenters... I guess it's not doing as well as anticipated :shock:

wow... you don't hear hours like that for Supercenters... I guess it's not doing as well as anticipated :shock:

The Supercenter in Laurinburg closes at 10 or 11, but it seems to be doing okay business-wise, maybe the night crowd drops off signifigantly at Mount Holly-Huntersville Road.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, but Lincolnton is about 20 miles from this location. I would think they would have had better success at putting the new store closer to Hwy 321. There are people living in Denver, but this is mostly the western Lake crowd and I'm not sure how many will go to walmart to shop. (though they do have cheap groceries)

Archived