Only problem with condos in uptown.

joshuacc

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never have two parking spaces for smaller units. My girlfriend and I would like something 650 sq ft. area, but never find anything with two spots. I don't want some rediculously large condo, I like small space. We have 750 now and it's still a little big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that's urban living. Option to have just one car? On-street parking elsewhere? Keep one car in your work parking lot? Live near transit along South Blvd instead?

Well that's urban living. Option to have just one car? On-street parking elsewhere? Keep one car in your work parking lot? Live near transit along South Blvd instead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love i repeat love to have one car. At the moment it can't work, although when charlotte improves it's transit, it's a possibility. The only prob with gust parking is that it's not for sure.

I agree that the parking situation with new condos is stupid, especially when they are only offering one space with a 2 bedroom or larger. I don't understand why they don't just build more parking in the beginning, though I understand they can get more money for the space as condos instead of parking.

You'll just have to look for a place that has parking on the street also. First ward would be good. I have some friends there and they rarely use their one assigned parking space because they can just park on the street right in front of their door.

I love the idea. I just hope none of these cars gets in an accident with a semi or even some of our larger SUV's that American's can't seem to let go of.

Can you imagine the rate of car accident deaths.  :o

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would probably be a good idea to put a charm for traffic safety in your car.

I agree that the parking situation with new condos is stupid, especially when they are only offering one space with a 2 bedroom or larger. I don't understand why they don't just build more parking in the beginning, though I understand they can get more money for the space as condos instead of parking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at it this way. In many other major urban cities, as far as parking goes, you get nothing and like it with your condo purchase. In NYC, you'd have to shell out an additional $800 per month for 2 garaged spaces. In London, probably twice that since there are hardly any parking garages there. I look at having even one parking space, especially covered, as a privilege.

I love Metro's idea too, but OMG, will the average sized adult male fit in one of those?

Im curious what the top speed is and what the mpg is?  Doesn't look safe for the highways...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smart cars are everywhere in Europe. You're right, they don't look safe for highways... since American highways are clogged with massive SUVs and drivers affixed to cell phones.

This isn't a cheap POS tin can like you get from most manufacturers. Its really a Mercedes Benz and has a huge amount of safety built in, including a occupant cell design, which prove a lot of protection. While small, its quite roomy inside for two adults plus there is some luggage space.

In Europe they are offered with Diesel engines which exceed 70mpg. And this is real world MPG. Real world MPG in a hybrid is closer to 35.

pub275_2.jpg

Look at it this way.  In many other major urban cities, as far as parking goes, you get nothing and like it with your condo purchase.  In NYC, you'd have to shell out an additional $800 per month for 2 garaged spaces.  In London, probably twice that since there are hardly any parking garages there.  I look at having even one parking space, especially covered, as a privilege.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I agree that parking is not really a big issue here, but having a car is far more necessary and common in Charlotte than it is in NYC or London. For me, having a car in NYC would have been more of a hassle in so many ways that not having one and just using the subway. Most people here have cars--especially people who can afford to buy a condo uptown--and if there are two people living there, they probably have two cars.

My husband and I are in the same situation as joshuacc and we would love to be able to give up one or both of our cars, but unfortunately it isn't feasible with Charlotte's current public transportation system and our situation. We work on opposite ends of town and have no bus routes within walking distance from our jobs.

It just seems to me that when they are planning new construction, they could at least allot two spaces for units that are two bedrooms or more, as well as some visitor spaces.

Yeah, I agree that parking is not really a big issue here, but having a car is far more necessary and common in Charlotte than it is in NYC or London. For me, having a car in NYC would have been more of a hassle in so many ways that not having one and just using the subway. Most people here have cars--especially people who can afford to buy a condo uptown--and if there are two people living there, they probably have two cars.

My husband and I are in the same situation as joshuacc and we would love to be able to give up one or both of our cars, but unfortunately it isn't feasible with Charlotte's current public transportation system and our situation. We work on opposite ends of town and have no bus routes within walking distance from our jobs.

It just seems to me that when they are planning new construction, they could at least allot two spaces for units that are two bedrooms or more, as well as some visitor spaces.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I agree with you that navigating through Charlotte without a vehicle is pretty much untenable, where you can certainly get by in the other cities. But at least there is the option to rent a garaged space for $50 a month or so, which isn't that bad. Hopefully in the near future, Charlotte will be self sustaining enough to allow a couple to adequately function with only one car in the household.

This isn't a cheap POS tin can like you get from most manufacturers.  Its really a Mercedes Benz and has a huge amount of safety built in, including a occupant cell design, which prove a lot of protection.  While small, its quite roomy inside for two adults plus there is some luggage space. 

In Europe they are offered with Diesel engines which exceed 70mpg.  And this is real world MPG.  Real world MPG in a hybrid is closer to 35. 

pub275_2.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, those are awesome. I will preorder one of those the day it becomes available. Genius.

Yeah I understand what everyone is saying, but this isn't NY. I moved here from Germany, and I never needed a car. In Charlotte it's kind of a must, transit is a joke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, I moved from Charlotte to DC, and while a car was a must in Charlotte, it's more of a nuisance (not to mention major expense) up here. A smart car would be money in DC...

Yeah I understand what everyone is saying, but this isn't NY. I moved here from Germany, and I never needed a car. In Charlotte it's kind of a must, transit is a joke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree......I totaled my car a couple months ago, and have been driving a beater since then. The battery died on me on Monday.....I've been taking transit since then and haven't had a problem. There is no place in this city that I need to go that I can't get to with only 1 bus transfer. If there is, then we can take the wife's car.

Growing up here and relying on a car since I was 16, it has been a bit nervous as I've wondered....what if I need it....but the fact is, one car has been plenty.

I live in the exurbs of Raleigh and I don't own a car.

My story:

I drove a hand-me-down from my dad in high school. It was not a pretty car (20 years old, rust holes, bondo, gray primer, horrible exhaust and backfires) but I loved it. I was sold on the freedom of the automobile. Of course, gas was about $.95 per gallon back then.

My car got totaled the summer after my senior year when a piano truck rear-ended me. I never owned a car again.

I went to school at N.C. State the next year, and since parking was so expensive and I didn't have enough money to buy a car, I decided to hold off. Turns out I could get everywhere I needed to go on the (free) buses, and everywhere else I wanted to go by hitching a ride with a friend. But I still had dreams and schemes to buy my own car.

Then, I studied abroad in Japan. They have some pretty damn amazing public transit there. So I rode buses, trains, streetcars, etc for a while - and then once I learned my way around I picked up bicycling as well. I found there was nowhere I could possibly need to go that wasn't accessible by transit or bike. For the first time, not having a car wasn't a hardship at all.

But it isn't the convenience of biking and transit that is keeping me carless out here in the exurbs just south of RTP.

What really got me hooked on going carless, was how much fulfilling my carless experience had been. Rather than spending huge chunks of time in the mindless machine-like state of driving, I found it was actually possible to experience my environment as I travelled. In a car, you're in an isolated bubble and you look at one thing: the road. At least on a bicycle there's no isolation bubble, and you move slowly enough to really see what's going on around you. On a bus or a train, you can watch the scenery pass by out the window or observe and interact with the other passengers. If you're travelling with someone, you can make eye contact and dedicate 100% of your attention to that person: it's a real conversation, rather than the crappy substitue you get when you talk while driving.

I realize this lifestyle isn't for everyone. Especially way out here in south RTP, it's a pretty huge hardship- but you know what? If you've got what it takes to endure that hardship it can be highly rewarding.

Europeans don't use SmartCars on the highways. They are for city driving. Interestingly, the car is pretty safe. European crash tests used a Mercedes C class in a 30mph collision's with the Smart. The passenger compartment of the Smart was unscathed.

Anyway, Mercedes is not bringing the European model to the U.S., but it is going to Canada. Guess what Smart is planning for the U.S market? That's right, a Smart SUV.

Personally, I would have thought that MB would have brought the little A 190 here before the SmartA-Class-tactical-offer-380x150-02.jpg

Archived