Greenville Highrise Concepts

goodbye

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where we can all share ideas for new tower designs or improvements to existing and planned ones. We all seem to be excited about the possibility of a finally growing skyline, but we also want the new highrises to fit into our vision for a successful downtown Greenville in the future. What would you say to the developers and can you show us some ideas you have? This could really be an enjoyable thread! :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have PhotoShop, so my posts in this thread won't be as sexy as everyone else's. With that said, I think our skyline would be made more interesting by the addition of some sort of structure. I am not thinking about a building with offices or condos. I am thinking along the lines of something purely tall and architectural. Something that enhances the skyline and creates yet another icon for the city in addition to the Liberty Bridge (which, at this point, has not had time to solidify itself as a city icon).

Seattle has the space needle. San Antonio has something similar (Tower of the Americas, I think). St. Louis has the arch. Knoxville has that "thing" (whatever it is) from the World's Fair. So why can't Greenville have something like this? Why NOT? This would of course be our own idea, and would need to avoid being a fad that looks silly 10 years down the road. Even if it were simply an interesting and unique structure with, at the most, a restaurant at the top or views of the city or something, I think it would be really cool.

Thoughts?

Definitely not a bad idea, Greenville. I've also thought about this in the past and could see some architecturally pleasing structural icon becoming a huge draw for more visitors. I believe that the Liberty bridge has already become the most notifiable icon for the City today, but we need to continue to add to the "iconic" appeals we have:

• Liberty Bridge

• RiverPlace water tunnel

• Kroc Center (when built)

• All of Main Street

There is much we love here, but it will be nice to see even greater things added to the list. :thumbsup:

I think I prefer the dome in the first rendering, Skyliner.

And since we are talking about skyline stuff, I have a question regarding the B of A building. I recall that they planned on staying in their current building and doing some renovations as opposed to moving to a new building. People have stated that they will be altering the parking building, but will the B of A building itself be changed at all on the exterior? If so, it would be a neat opportunity to get creative. Same goes for the Landmark Building. :)

Thanks to gsupstate for the very nice picture he posted HERE. Too bad I did a crappy job trying to enhance it slightly. More time would have been nice, but it gives us a vague idea of what the skyline will look like with the Pinnacle on Main, PLUS a simple top placed on the Landmark Building. I quickly "mowed" the signs and streetlights to open up the view a little. Let me know what you think. :wacko:

DTGville3b.png

Thanks to gsupstate for the very nice picture he posted HERE.  Too bad I did a crappy job trying to enhance it slightly.  More time would have been nice, but it gives us a vague idea of what the skyline will look like with the Pinnacle on Main, PLUS a simple top placed on the Landmark Building.  I quickly "mowed" the signs and streetlights to open up the view a little.  Let me know what you think. :wacko:

DTGville3b.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! :thumbsup: Nice job with The Pinnacle fill in, Skyliner! The top of BB&T reminds me of Bellsouth in Nashville.

The top of BB&T reminds me of Bellsouth in Nashville.

That's what I was thinking of. :thumbsup: It's simple, but effective. Makes the Landmark Building appear taller than it does now.

Pinnacle on Main looks very good there. Gives it a look of more density.

It isn't a perfect representation, but it does show that our skyline is becoming a little more dense. I'd really like to get a shot from higher and wider to encompass the whole skyline. I would then be able to attempt to include The Tower at Falls and Broad, among others. :)

Thanks to gsupstate for the very nice picture he posted HERE.  Too bad I did a crappy job trying to enhance it slightly.  More time would have been nice, but it gives us a vague idea of what the skyline will look like with the Pinnacle on Main, PLUS a simple top placed on the Landmark Building.  I quickly "mowed" the signs and streetlights to open up the view a little.  Let me know what you think. :wacko:

DTGville3b.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love what you've done with the top of the Landmark Building! It's simple, yet dramatically changes the look of the building and the entire skyline. :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

A quick concept I doodled while eating breakfast this morning. I don't know where it could go, so I'll leave that up to your imagination. :D

ConceptHighrise_02.jpg

Cool! I say put it up on University Ridge where the county buildings are. Overlooking the city.

Archived