Greenville Highrise Concepts

goodbye

Skyliner's rendering reminds me of the Taj Mahal as well. Would visitors be required to take their shoes off while on the grounds? ;)

I like the idea of building a new City Hall such that it looks old and historic, and build it somewhere downtown that needs it (e.g., a parking lot).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skyliner's rendering reminds me of the Taj Mahal as well. Would visitors be required to take their shoes off while on the grounds? ;)

I like the idea of building a new City Hall such that it looks old and historic, and build it somewhere downtown that needs it (e.g., a parking lot).

I am in full agreement. Someone suggested that it could be built at Church and E. North. That would give Gville it's own Four Corners of Law like Charleston. If both the new Federal Courthouse and the City Hall were great looking buildings, it would make for a great interesection.

I feel that the current City Hall does not represent the type of City Greenville is, and is trying to become. The small floor plate of City Hall is inefficient too. Each floor really is very small. Lots of elevator riding for the employees I'm sure. It should be converted to private sector offices or condos. And please do something with the ugly exterior. Ugh! It looks so dated and out of place. An iconic City Hall like Asheville's would be a great model.

I am in full agreement. Someone suggested that it could be built at Church and E. North. That would give Gville it's own Four Corners of Law like Charleston. If both the new Federal Courthouse and the City Hall were great looking buildings, it would make for a great interesection.

I feel that the current City Hall does not represent the type of City Greenville is, and is trying to become. The small floor plate of City Hall is inefficient too. Each floor really is very small. Lots of elevator riding for the employees I'm sure. It should be converted to private sector offices or condos. And please do something with the ugly exterior. Ugh! It looks so dated and out of place. An iconic City Hall like Asheville's would be a great model.

Honestly, no joke, I love the exterior of that building. I love the symetry, I love the simplicity, I love the color of the metal, and I love the retroness. I have said this before, Greenville has torn down some great buildings in the name of progress. At the time it made sense and now we miss them. There may be a time in the future where '70's style architecture is all the rage again.

I like the idea of converting it to condos. But, you'd get what, 2 per floor? Perhaps it could be taken to new heights to make it worth the conversion...

I like the idea of moving it to the corner of Church and East North ONLY if it's a highrise. I think that spot is way to prime in our skyline to let anything less stand on that land (ie, the Palmetto Bank Building).

Honestly, no joke, I love the exterior of that building. I love the symetry, I love the simplicity, I love the color of the metal, and I love the retroness. I have said this before, Greenville has torn down some great buildings in the name of progress. At the time it made sense and now we miss them. There may be a time in the future where '70's style architecture is all the rage again.

I'm not saying tear it down either. Just replace with something more iconic, like someone said before. But IMO we don't need anything like the old city either. We have enough of those buildings as it is. That maybe the reason why the city couldn't get anybody to go along with their past idea for main and broad. But hey. What do I now?

One thing I have learned from UP is that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I respect your opinion. There have certainly been times when I was in the minority on what was or was not an attractive building.

The point you raise about '70's architecture is one that I have often pondered. I do try to give marginal '70's architecture the benefit of the doubt though. One thing about pre-WWII architecture that became 'out-dated' was that many times the buildings were not well maintained, and that contributed to the desire to remove them. That isn't the case with City Hall.

You mentioned the symetry, but that is ruined by the marble encased elevator/HVAC portion IMO. I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

The biggest reason I want a new city hall is that it could spark development around it, and the current site is prime for a higher and better and dense use.

For high-rise ideas: two things that I would like to see in downtown Greenville, both of which are mixed-use:

1. A high-rise office building with a retail/entertainment base. Some of those parking lots to the east of N. Main Street could house such a building. Perhaps 300,000 sf of office space, plus a Borders bookstore, an IMAX movie theater and a small department store, perhaps? (None of these is particularly fancy, but in my view more likely to work in tandem with class A office space than stores in another mixed-use development about which I have already expressed my views, and with a reasonable amount of public and private effort Greenville should be able to attract those types of stores to a mixed-use development.)

2. A nice high-rise hotel plus condominiums on the top. Some larger cities have these types of developments, which often involve high-end housing since residents are often willing to pay a premium for housing also has the hotel services, such as room service, etc. I'd say something like a Doubletree or Marriott or another standard business-type hotel would be what Greenville would attract (i.e., no Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis).

For high-rise ideas: two things that I would like to see in downtown Greenville, both of which are mixed-use:

1. A high-rise office building with a retail/entertainment base. Some of those parking lots to the east of N. Main Street could house such a building. Perhaps 300,000 sf of office space, plus a Borders bookstore, an IMAX movie theater and a small department store, perhaps? (None of these is particularly fancy, but in my view more likely to work in tandem with class A office space than stores in another mixed-use development about which I have already expressed my views, and with a reasonable amount of public and private effort Greenville should be able to attract those types of stores to a mixed-use development.)

2. A nice high-rise hotel plus condominiums on the top. Some larger cities have these types of developments, which often involve high-end housing since residents are often willing to pay a premium for housing also has the hotel services, such as room service, etc. I'd say something like a Doubletree or Marriott or another standard business-type hotel would be what Greenville would attract (i.e., no Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis).

I really like your visions, mallguy! :D

are they still going to build the tower at falls and broad and when will they start?

Construction costs became rather too high for the investors, but fortunately, a couple additional towers have been rumored since. There are three that are definitely planned and likely to be built within the next year or two, plus a few others that have been reported by local news.

I'm by no means a professional and I realize everyone has their own opinions about these things, so I expect some criticism. I've had this image in my head of a signature tower for Greenville for some time now. Before I just thought a tall, cylindrically-shaped tower with green-tinted windows would be cool. Maybe a revolving resturant on top. This thread got me thinking a little deeper and messing around in MS Paint. Well, today's been really slow at work and I came up with this:

sigtower.JPG

It's quite sloppy and only an idea for just the top. I don't know if real trees would even work on a tower (if not, bronze wouldn't look so bad). The best part would be the view from the top floor, which could maybe be open for tourists. Not only would the view be great, but looking up through the glass dome would have the familiar canopy of trees for which Greenville is know.

Wow, that's a really cool building concept! :shades: I don't see why trees couldn't work, depending on the kind and size. You've got the same idea for a top floor that I have, complete with a revolving restaurant. You did all of this in MS Paint?! That took some serious time!!! :shok:

Archived