The Question of Rebuilding New Orleans

goodbye

Since this thread has mostly been concerned with how to pay to rebuild then lets leave those discussions in this thread. There is another thread on the rebuilding process. No Political discussions on Bush and his Administration.

If it is rebuilt below sea level, they better not use any of my money. That's all I'll say about this matter. -_-

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a side note...

If NO is built on its same local, wages are probably going to go up due to a llot of people sadly probably will not feel comfortable returning...

Gotta Pay more to get people in...

So, to all you wanting a job, when NO gets back up and running, you amy want to look there

Cheers

I don't know if they should rebuild the city right there but at the same time where would you move it and would it still be NO? Probably not. There is so many factors to the question if they should rebuild NO. I sure don't have the answer. Its going to be rebuilt and the feds are going to use our money. I don't think people should be upset cause thats like comparing SanFran and earthquakes. The city got rebuilt with federal money but didn't here people voicing their opinion against it with the federal money.

NO will be rebuilt in its present location. It will take decades to do so. It will take more money than anyone can imagine. New, modern walled locks, levees (like those in The netherlands) will be built to hold back future storms. The infrastructure will be modernized and yes, construction jobs will be plentiful. I think there will be those that will never return to NO for whatever reason. It is tragic, I hope as many people as possible can be saved.

Considering the big difference this time is the water is becoming a toxic stew of chemicals from leaking cars, sewers, and who knows what stored in buildings, along with all the biological contamination (read dead bodies). Is it reasonable to assume that this time they will not be able to restore buildings submerged in this mess once they finally remove the water? As a side note, there is a concern that pumping this water out to where ever it goes will cause vast econogical damage to the delta. Opinions on this?

NO should do like Galneston, Texas after their disaster, build up the land before rebuilding. Get all land above sea level.

We all have learn, NO is vital to the US economy. We can't turn our backs to whats going on down there. But smart rebuilding is going to be important.

What has happen this week should not happen again. Cooridination between city, state and Federal Gov. is very important to be put in place now.

I heard yesterday it will take 6 months to pump the water out, and 1 year for NO to dry out. From the last 30 + years the levee sytem did not get money to make NO safe. We should not see cuts for NO levee system any more. If it they had receive money to fix them over the last 30 years, we would not see whats going on now.

The problem with houses under water now, if will takes 6 months before the water is fully pump out, there will no be much to repair. We learn a lot about flood damage in NC from 2 hurricanes a few years ago. Flood waters can damage houses beyond repair when water covers the house to the roof. The are insects that love wet wood. You are going to see alot of new house in NO.

Hind sight is better than foresight.

The trouble with the Federal Gov. it takes a disaster before they will do anything.

Yes, Bush could have done better, but the last 3 or 4 presidents drop the ball also.

Congress can also be blame. Let hope all have learn something from this, if not, it will be repeated.

Good luck TSmith, my heart goes out for all those who have suffered this week.

SF, Chicago, Atlanta and Richmond were all US cities that were totally destroyed by disasters. Frankfurt and Berlin were flattened. Hell even Hiroshima and Nagasaki are cities now and they were bombed to oblivion. There is no doubt in my mind that New Orleans will make a come back. It's not saying that it is going to be a walk in the park, but New Orleans will be back.

The sad thing is that I know a few people from there and the subrubs who have lost everything. Most are all leaving and I imagine that if I were in the same boat I would be thinking the same thing, at least for the next year.

And politics aside, there just was not enough preparation from the mayor to the governer and all the way up the president, which encompasses both political parties. As an American, I am saddened that so many people died from the heat and lack of food/water. We are not a developing nation and our fellow citizens deserve better treatment.

I wish all of you there luck and hope that nothing else bad befalls one of my favorite cities in the world. :-(

What New Orleans needs:

1) Higher levees built by Dutch engineers and made of concrete and steel, not earth

2) Additional pumps built above grade so they will not cease working during floods.

3) A complete rebuilding of the water pumping system and the elimination of the canals leading into the city.

4) A restoration of the natural flow of the Mississippi River south of New Orleans to allow for frequent flooding and the restoration of the bayou system.

5) All new construction should be built above-grade to allow some room for error in flood.

6) A complete restoration of all historic housing that can be saved. This architecture is both a local and national treasure.

What New Orleans needs:

1)  Higher levees built by Dutch engineers and made of concrete and steel, not earth

2)  Additional pumps built above grade so they will not cease working during floods.

3)  A complete rebuilding of the water pumping system and the elimination of the canals leading into the city.

4)  A restoration of the natural flow of the Mississippi River south of New Orleans to allow for frequent flooding and the restoration of the bayou system.

5)  All new construction should be built above-grade to allow some room for error in flood.

6)  A complete restoration of all historic housing that can be saved.  This architecture is both a local and national treasure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. What I would really like to see is some evidence of real planning. This should be an opportuniy for New Orleans and the Coast to rebuild intelligently. New urban concepts could be used and mass transit and rapid rail ought to be included in the new design. A master plan for the region could even bve developed. Why let people rebuild the same miserable automobile infested sprawl? No, this should be taken as an opportunity to show the world what can be done with good planning and good thinking.

Police Shoot 8 on New Orleans Bridge

Sep 04 6:20 PM US/Eastern

NEW ORLEANS

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/04/D8CDN6C00.html

Counting the Dead

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katrina

New Orleans Zoo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050904/lf_af...oo_050904225418

New Orleans needs a good news day soon.

Question:

What is the plan for all those high rises planned for downtown NO before the hurricane? Are they going to be built or on hold for a long time.?

UCF in Orlando is waiving out-of-state tuition and chopping a lot of red tape to take in college students who've had to flee the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I go to UCF and this makes me very happy. Students gripe (including myself) about administration there, but at last they've made a GREAT decision. If any of you out there reading this and are relocating to UCF--- welcome to Orlando and please please please monitor your tuition, scholarships, and any other routine preparations you need to take care of with this university carefully. They seem to easily "misplace" or "not know" of things. So... welcome to UCF! :thumbsup:

I go to UCF and this makes me very happy. Students gripe (including myself) about administration there, but at last they've made a GREAT decision. If any of you out there reading this and are relocating to UCF--- welcome to Orlando and please please please monitor your tuition, scholarships, and any other routine preparations you need to take care of with this university carefully. They seem to easily "misplace" or "not know" of things. So... welcome to UCF! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many students form NO is coming to your school?

Archived