Next in Virginia Beach

vdogg

Where do you see us going next in Virginia Beach with regards to Urban development. Do you think the Pembroke area will be built out after these next series of projects, will the downtown expand along the Virginia Beach Blvd corridor or pretty much stay localized in the Towncenter area. How do you see the Oceanfront developing in the next 10 years. Will we ever be the "world class resort" that the city wishes for?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you see us going next in Virginia Beach with regards to Urban development. Do you think the Pembroke area will be built out after these next series of projects, will the downtown expand along the Virginia Beach Blvd corridor or pretty much stay localized in the Towncenter area. How do you see the Oceanfront developing in the next 10 years. Will we ever be the "world class resort" that the city wishes for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. My personal opinion is that the mall has to go to give it that real urban feel. I think that should be looked at to be developed after all these other projects are complete. :thumbsup:

I don't know. My personal opinion is that the mall has to go to give it that real urban feel. I think that should be looked at to be developed after all these other projects are complete. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They only way that mall is leaving is by military force. :lol: Sad to say but true. They do not want to give up that prime real estate, and honestly, I don't blame them. That being said it would be great if they could work in closer collaboration with developers like Mr. Divaris, to incorporate their area more into the urban fabric of TC.

They only way that mall is leaving is by military force.  :lol:  Sad to say but true. They do not want to give up that prime real estate, and honestly, I don't blame them. That being said it would be great if they could work in closer collaboration with developers like Mr. Divaris, to incorporate their area more into the urban fabric of TC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on if the money is right and if Vabeach decides to do eminent domain. I really hate that mall. Maybe they can convert it to an urban outdoor mall. It sucks seeing that sears there and high rises right across the street.

Still, it will be the Town Center.  They created that place to be the downtown district of Virginia Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With cityview and city walk next door however those areas may in turn spark development next to them. What I'm really hoping for is a domino effect.

i don't really see vabeach running out of steam any time soon, even if oceana leaves us. town center was/is a good start, but that's just what i think it is meant to be, a start. as some have already said in other threads, it's more like a catalyst for the development of an "urban" vabeach, rather than itself being THE urban vabeach. i wouldn't be surprised to see a ripple effect grow down vabeach blvd, maybe one day in the distant future butting up against norfolk. that would be nifty.

as for the oceanfront, i'd really like to see more developments along the lines of the hilton and ocean beach club. seeing pacific avenue become more than parking lots and seedy tourist shops would be nice as well. it all takes so long though, i'm really hoping i'm not old and senile when it finally happens :) walking down atlantic avenue at nighttime this summer was really amazing. if you randomly plopped someone on that street from anywhere, they'd have no idea they were in virginia's largest suburbian mess. seeing crowds spilling onto the street due to overcrowding made me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. yay pseudo-density.

As nrdrzool alluded to I think the TC is the catalyst to jump start and to begin urbanization to this suburban city. I wish I could say one day I see Pembroke Mall going away but I highly doubt it. And when Target builds there you can expect to see a lot more high end stores going in. Already the mall has a few stores going in that are new such as Pacific Sunwear, Coastal Edge surf shop and Nestle Toll House cookie shop. I would expect even higher end stores after Target gets settled in. I am still hopeful one day someone will buy the Kmart strip shopping center and tear it all down. I hope they would build more mixed use buildings there but anything really is an improvment. Across the street you might find B&N, Planet Music and BB&B located on the ground floor of more high rise buildings for the TC. Of course by then directly across the street is the new office tower currently where the parking lot is located for Columbus Center. I would like to see all the Pembroke buildings torn down and more towers being constructed there as well. Along the boulevard FX will be torn down making more room for more apts/condos and office buildings and even perhaps retail. Well, that is enough dreaming for now. :wub:

Are we sure that target is still coming? When are they supposed to be there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked a lady at the info booth and she said probably in 2-3 years but I cannot see that for the life of me. :blink: The person that originally posted Target was coming had a contact with them. I would be most interested in getting an update.

I asked a lady at the info booth and she said probably in 2-3 years but I cannot see that for the life of me.  :blink: The person that originally posted Target was coming had a contact with them. I would be most interested in getting an update.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh: 2-3 years? You'd think they'd want to be there sooner rather than later. Especially with the way that TC is coming along.

A stand alone Target or one as part of some vertical power center along with BB&B and B&N? I don't think a VPC would be good for TC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Target would be at Pembroke Mall - I am thinking where Furniture Liquidators is at but I am not positive.

The Target would be at Pembroke Mall - I am thinking where Furniture Liquidators is at but I am not positive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, that's not so bad. I have no information relative to specific Target rumors. However, I'm pretty certain that both Walmart and Target would give their first born for the City Walk site! Sorry, not for sale! (Neither is FX for that matter.)

Ok, that's not so bad.  I have no information relative to specific Target rumors. However, I'm pretty certain that both Walmart and Target would give their first born for the City Walk site! Sorry, not for sale! (Neither is FX for that matter.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the FX site is still being looked at for redevelopment I hope.

Ok, that's not so bad.  I have no information relative to specific Target rumors. However, I'm pretty certain that both Walmart and Target would give their first born for the City Walk site! Sorry, not for sale! (Neither is FX for that matter.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there truth to the old rumor that Wal-mart wanted the available wooded TC property, but the city told them flat out that they wouldn't approve the zoning change request? The denial is also why Wal-mart finally turned the Military outlet into a Super Wal-mart? And Divaris, sharing in the city's vision, was working with the City to find a developer for an urban core?

Is there truth to the old rumor that Wal-mart wanted the available wooded TC property, but the city told them flat out that they wouldn't approve the zoning change request?  The denial is also why Wal-mart finally turned the Military outlet into a Super Wal-mart?  And Divaris, sharing in the city's vision, was working with the City to find a developer for an urban core?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Despite his long-standing relationship with Wal-mart, Mr. Divaris was instrumental in keeping them away from TC. Seems to me that they should do something with their Lynnhaven location.

Archived