Comparison of GR to Other Northern Cities

goodbye

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to state over and over again, that makes sense we are in the 120's, because they are not talking about regions but rather cities,  and the CITY, of Grand Rapids, is Blue

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly, within city limits GR is rather progressive socially, economically the city is still kind of conservative. I think that just comes with the Midwest more then anything.

to state over and over again, that makes sense we are in the 120's, because they are not talking about regions but rather cities,  and the CITY, of Grand Rapids, is Blue

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's not go overboard here. Detroit's Wayne County is about as blue as it gets, but I wouldn't hold them up as a model city :P I think this red state - blue state thing gets taken too far on both sides.

I'd have to agree.  But I still can't figure out what's wrong with buying beer on Sunday afternoon in certain west michigan cities/townships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some communities believe that alcohol abuse leads to a variety of social ills: spousal abuse, bankruptcy, child abuse, crime, teenage pregnancy, etc.., and that Sundays shoud be reserved for family time alcohol-free (or at least not being sold at local stores and restaurants).

I think we are getting way off topic, however, I would bet that Skyliner could share similar cultural differences in Greenville.

It is said that in economic hardtimes that community college enrollment goes up.  This can be seen all over the state, right now.  Lansing Community College has had its largest enrollment ever, as well, with over 19,000 students downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats only full-time students, right? I've heard figures for LCC as high as 35,000 for total enrollment, full time, part time, and probably individual classes.

Archived